includes/global.inc.php

Guest xceejayx

Guest xceejayx

just installed and i must say it looks fantastic...

got one little problem though - at 'admin home' i am getting the following message: "WARNING: The main configuration file 'includes/global.inc.php' is writable and your store is at risk. Please change the file permissions so that it is read only."

i have changed the file to read only but i am still getting this message. any ideas? :w00t:

Guest xceejayx

Could be a server issue. Download the file then try deleting the file and uploading it back to the server. Change the permissions and see if it remains at 444

thanks, ive just tried this and its still doing it :w00t:

Guest hennaboy

Ask your webhost. Could be that they dont allow chmod settings below 644. If so then your choices are....persuade them otherwise, move host or ignore the error message (or even remove it!)

Guest xceejayx

Are you on a windows server ????

If so you may have to ask your host to make the change.

Hi, no it is Linux

Ask your webhost. Could be that they dont allow chmod settings below 644. If so then your choices are....persuade them otherwise, move host or ignore the error message (or even remove it!)

i'll get in touch with them and find out :)

i just tried it using a different ftp program and when i change the permission it comes up with '550 Could not change perms on global.inc.php: Bad file descriptor' :w00t:

Guest xceejayx

You still getting the error message in the Admin?

You should get a 550 error from the file being 444

yeah, i'm still getting it, and the permission is still at 644. *scratches head*

ive sent my host an email, so hopefully they'll have some idea.

thanks for trying to help

Guest xceejayx

i just got a reply from my host and they said 'you are able to change permissions on the file to 444 but you will need to do this via SSH'

how do i go about doing this?

i just got a reply from my host and they said 'you are able to change permissions on the file to 444 but you will need to do this via SSH'

you'll need an SSH client, like PuTTY.

go though and configure the right settings for your server, username, etc

when it starts, you'll be prompted for your password, then you'll be logged in

cd to your web folder (may be www/ or public_html/) then into your store/includes directory. then type

chmod 444 global.inc.php

Guest xceejayx

you'll need an SSH client, like PuTTY.

go though and configure the right settings for your server, username, etc

when it starts, you'll be prompted for your password, then you'll be logged in

cd to your web folder (may be www/ or public_html/) then into your store/includes directory. then type

chmod 444 global.inc.php

ok ive just tried this and im getting:

chmod: changing permissions of `global.inc.php': Operation not permitted

it really doesnt wanna be changed lol :)

is it much of a security issue if the permissions aren't changed??

Guest EverythingWeb

Ask your host, with root access, to chmod it for you.

I'm guessing you're on a Shared hosting plan? If so, this may be why chmod wont let you chmod the file - you'll be locked into a restricted shell with only limited options as to what functions you can run.

It being 777, will allow the 'web-server' to write to it, which *could* include other users/scripts/sites on the same server as you - unless your host is using a protection such as suPHP or PhpSuExec.

Guest xceejayx

Ask your host, with root access, to chmod it for you.

I'm guessing you're on a Shared hosting plan? If so, this may be why chmod wont let you chmod the file - you'll be locked into a restricted shell with only limited options as to what functions you can run.

It being 777, will allow the 'web-server' to write to it, which *could* include other users/scripts/sites on the same server as you - unless your host is using a protection such as suPHP or PhpSuExec.

Hello

Yes it is shared hosting.

I've contacted my host again and asked them to change it for me. Hopefully it will be sorted.

Thanks for your help everyone :)