"Import Catalog[ue]"

Guest thimk

The CC4 Catalog Import is interesting, but urgently needs at least a sketchy doc.

It did not properly detect col-heads from tabbed file.

I can't use semicolon, due to character codes, and certainly not comma.

Pipe character "|" worked, but import did not know what to do with |use stock level|, and offered unwanted sale price, stock count, weight as choices. So I must manually fix each product for "Use stock level?", which should be Setable Default for given import run.

(I ALWAYS want "Use stock level?" to be off, for my own tangible and download products, so please accept my "0" column-values or give me a default choice selector.)

It DID ignore cols for which no agreement had been reached, which DID protect db.

I specified cat #, but only the MASTER CAT was an option. I was told to go through and manually edit each product into proper sub-cat, then found it had all been handled. Put that in the doc.

It seems it would be simpler to just agree on permitted col-defs ahead of time.

Import interface essentially is just matching my columns to CC4 data names.

This is certainly a big improvement over normal admin-only product entries, but needs to go further for true bulk uploads.

Product options are still entirely manual, which is bad for large catalog.

As before, re-upload of a given product name and code makes DUPLICATE, not overwrite, so manual deletions were required. I recommend overwrite as an option, to let computers do more of the work on updates.

• 3 weeks later...

Guest supernix

I tried the mass import with CC4 and it did not work some of it did but there were items that had the image name where the description went as well as some item names that contained the description. So definitely not working 100% yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I am completely lost when it comes to importing a catalogue. Would someone mind sharing the basics of setting up a file for import? My catalogue is in excel format and the headings are much different than what the important function seems to expect. Should all of my data be in the following format:

ID Type, Product Code, Name ,Master Category, Image Price / Sale Price ,In Stock, Action

I specified cat #, but only the MASTER CAT was an option. I was told to go through and manually edit each product into proper sub-cat, then found it had all been handled. Put that in the doc.

It seems it would be simpler to just agree on permitted col-defs ahead of time.

Import interface essentially is just matching my columns to CC4 data names.

This is certainly a big improvement over normal admin-only product entries, but needs to go further for true bulk uploads.

Product options are still entirely manual, which is bad for large catalog.