catalog import bug?

As it is now, every time I import the catalog I just double the amount of products in the cart. Is this a bug? Shouldn't the catalog import feature be overwriting the existing data and not appending? Is the catalog import feature a one time deal? It would be nice to be able to edit my .csv file in excel and upload it with regularity.

If it's not a bug, and in fact designed to append the data, I think that there should be an click box option as to whether the user wishes to overwrite the existing products or not. This essentially gives the ability to UPDATE products via .csv file. That would be easy right?

Also, in the event that someone uses the same .csv file to edit and upload products, it would be nice if there was an option to save the data mapping scheme. This would eliminate the need to map every column each time products were updated.

As it is now, every time I import the catalog I just double the amount of products in the cart. Is this a bug? Shouldn't the catalog import feature be overwriting the existing data and not appending? Is the catalog import feature a one time deal? It would be nice to be able to edit my .csv file in excel and upload it with regularity.

If it's not a bug, and in fact designed to append the data, I think that there should be an click box option as to whether the user wishes to overwrite the existing products or not. This essentially gives the ability to UPDATE products via .csv file. That would be easy right?

Also, in the event that someone uses the same .csv file to edit and upload products, it would be nice if there was an option to save the data mapping scheme. This would eliminate the need to map every column each time products were updated.

We have a similar situation in that there are some 500 spurious items in the database that do not show up any place. There does not appear to be any way to clean the database of this junk. Most of the 500 are from trying to upload the same file - no errors posted but it kept the data. Nobody seems to know how to run the bulk import, no definition of the fields, mandatory, text or numeric or a mixture, etc. Category text doesn't work so assume we need a number. But, where does one find the category number? So, that must be done manually. We too will want to update some records, but the import process must know what record number to update?? Even if it did, would it update or add the record and assign a new record number. Possibly one can download the catalog, make changes, then what? With no help file, everyone is somewhat lost and left with experimentation and errors. Maybe the help file should have been written prior to the vs 4 release.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest philoye

Nobody seems to know how to run the bulk import, no definition of the fields, mandatory, text or numeric or a mixture, etc. Category text doesn't work so assume we need a number. But, where does one find the category number? So, that must be done manually. We too will want to update some records, but the import process must know what record number to update?? Even if it did, would it update or add the record and assign a new record number. Possibly one can download the catalog, make changes, then what? With no help file, everyone is somewhat lost and left with experimentation and errors. Maybe the help file should have been written prior to the vs 4 release.

Has anyone figured out how to do product upload? Is there any documentation?

Guest philoye

Actually, it turns out there IS documentation. It is in the KnowledgeBase:

How do I use the bulk products import tool?

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks good. The documentation should point out that the upload appends rather than erases. Judging by the fields it accepts, it won't handle extra images or extra categories. Both would be welcome additions, but this isn't too bad.

Guest philoye

Well, to answer my own question I found this: a way to retrieve category ids from the database

There is another way which you can do in the admin tool. Simply to to "View Categories". In the list, hover over the "Edit" link for a category and you get a link like this:

/admin.php?_g=categories/index&edit=1

That last number is the catalog id, in this case "1".

• 1 month later...

I have repeatedly imported our catalog only to find that the "write over" does not seem to be functioning so now it seems that we have duplicated items in our database. Additionally, I am working off of a Mac with OS X10.4.3 using Safari browser and after import I am directed to assign categories and in that window there was nowhere to go, no navigational buttons or links visible. So I will switch over to the windows platform and try there next.

What would you suggest as the best route to clear out and start over with the database?

Is there a "how-to" manual we could download to use for version 4 setup and store usage? I have searched the downloads and only found basic installation, but I need beyond setup so that I can finish with installing database and running store...

I am getting the same error too, every time i try to ammend the products it just duplicates them.

is there any answers to this yet

regards john

• 3 months later...

ok - in reply to my post above..

I exported a CSV for MS Excel from the CubeCart_inventory table via phpmyadmin

if I use this file to add inventory to

when I want to import - it appears as tho I can go to that table in phpmyadmin

click on the structure tab

scroll to the bottom of the page where it says "Insert data from a text file into the table"

if I click on that link I get these options

Does anyone know what settings do I use? Or should I leave them default?

I would assume each time I upload - checking replace box is needed?

sql_image.sized.jpg