(Powered by CubeCart) in title

Guest Zaja

CubeCart guys, you need to rethink about licensing policy for Cubecart version 4.

Paying $130 USD for an commercial software with obligation to have (Powered by CubeCart) text in all product titles and other pages is ridiculous.

In my point of view the copyright placed at the bottom of each page is the only way, forcing the non-related title tag is bad for your customers.

Guest Brivtech

I don't think I understand what you are saying. How is it bad for the customers?

If you purchase the copyright removal key, then you're not obliged to have the message any longer.

This path has been chosen, because there are a lot of CubeCart 3 users who wish to upgrade, and can keep their copyright removal keys without having to pay again. I'm guessing that in the distant future when a new major version upgrade comes along, that same key may also be used once again.

There are also some users who don't mind having the endorsement on their website, and it helps keep their costs down.

Really, it's a personal matter that you have control over.

Brivtech, I'm not sure what exactly you don't understand, so I will try to explaine better. If you don't want(or can't) purchase the copyright removal key you are obliged to have the message in page title, not only footer text and link to cubecart.com. This is bad(SEO) and atypical method of protection, compared with other similar products around or your direct competitors. If you pay $130 USD for some commercial software you don't expect that your product title will be renamed in the head section to(for example):

<title>Blue Sun Corporation - iPod Touch (16GB) - (Powered by CubeCart)</title>

You can eventually expect such thing if you use free or trial software. The copyright(text + link to cubecart.com) placed at the bottom of each page and admin area branding is acceptable and usual method to "protect" your copyrights.

This path has been chosen, because there are a lot of CubeCart 3 users who wish to upgrade, and can keep their copyright removal keys without having to pay again.
I don't think I understand relationship between CubeCart 3 users and title-copyright issue?

I understand where you are coming from and the reason for having an upgrade option was due to V3 licence holders.

However, I still believe that for V4, anyone buying it should have no copyright notice and give existing V3 licence holders a discount. However, this wasn't to be.

Guest Brivtech

I'm trying to pluck out the actual reasons and facts here, because otherwise it seems that this thread is simply a gripe.

I asked why this is bad for customers, and you said:

1. you are obliged to have the message in page title, not only footer text and link to cubecart.com.

So, if you don't want that, pay the full amount to get the copyright removal key.

2. This is bad(SEO)

I don't understand how is this bad SEO? Why would you be penalised by a search engine for having this?

3. and atypical method of protection, compared with other similar products

Surely, every product doesn't have to clone what everyone else does?

4. or your direct competitors.

... I don't understand where direct competitors would come into it?

I don't think I understand relationship between CubeCart 3 users and title-copyright issue?

It's something that's been brought to CC4 from CC3. It's a marketing ploy. Originally, the copyright would be present, so it would promote CubeCart. If you didn't want to show the copyright notices, then you'd help Al earn a living by purchasing the license key. I guess they have the same philosoply for CC4, especially taking into account everyone moaning some months ago about wasting their CC3 copyright key investments if they upgraded to CC4.

As I said before, at the end of the day, it's simply a matter of choice. Take it as it is,or pay a copyright removal fee if you don't like it. I simply can't see why having CubeCart in the browser title at the end is such a big deal, which is why I asked you to explain it to me better, Unfirtunately, I'm still not much better off in understanding this. :)

I understand that you are saying this is an unusual way of doing this, but is there any actual harm in that? Can't people be a bit different?

LOL.. :wacko: ... so you don't see why is bad for customers who paid $130 USD having the product named iPod (Powered by CubeCart) in header? Well, because it's not true, the product name is iPod!

I believe strongly that you are able to understand this, but you simply don't want to understand. :)

Guest xceejayx

so you don't see why is bad for customers who paid $130 USD having the product named iPod (Powered by CubeCart) in header?

It's clearly stated when you go to buy cubecart that a full license plus copyright removal key is $179.95. A full license without copyright removal is $129.95. If you don't want (powered by cubecart) you know what you have to do. And for $180 i think you're getting a good deal so stop complaining. jeez.

Well, thank you for your reply xceejayx, but you totally missed the point. This topic is started as my suggestion to CubeCart guys, nobody complaining.

Guest Brivtech

I think I understand, but perhaps you're right, I don't want to, and I just don't realise it yet.

Personally, I can't see how it's much different to "Mozilla Firefox" or "Windows Internet Explorer" at the end - After all, it's a tool that provides a function.

I think most people won't even notice it, and I know many of my customers don't even know what Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox is, they just click on the blue round thing.

So, to conclude, I think this is purely an intellectual arguement. :)

Zaja, I put something to you: Only paying for two thirds of the total system, surely one expects some shortcomings?

Well, thank you for your reply xceejayx, but you totally missed the point. This topic is started as my suggestion to CubeCart guys, nobody complaining.

Hi Zaja,

I think everyone here understands the point, but you're unwilling to accept the answer.

CubeCart 4 costs $180. The $130 price is a compromise where you accept the "Powered by CubeCart" notifications in the browser bar and in the footer.

If you don't want the "Powered by CubeCart" to show, then pay for the full license.

End of story.

As others have tried to explain, the split license comes from the way CC3 was offered, and while it is non-standard, it works. It provides a greater degree of flexibility. You have more choices.

You are free to choose whichever level of licensing you want, either a full license where the CubeCart name is no-where to be seen, or a partial license where your store helps to promote CubeCart to other would-be shop owners.

Again, it comes down to your choice.

Alan, thank you for your reply, but please don't try to explaine me the cubecart price or licencing policy. :)

I'm a customer, so really I am not complaining about the software itself, software price or software licence policy(generally).

I have started this topis as an suggestion to CubeCart guys, I just believe that, for customers who purchased the software license, puting the "Powered by CubeCart" text inside title tag is bad and not necessary....regardless of what the software price is (free version excluded).

The choice is yours really. You can help us lower marketing costs by helping us promote it at a lower cost or we don't have a lower price option and we spend more on marketing.

It's pretty simple really and most of our customers like to be able to have this choice. I can assure you we really do listen to our customers just like I am now. :)

You don't like it but a large proportion of our customers don't mind it seeing as over a million don't pay to take it off.

Proof: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%...+by+CubeCart%22

Thank you Al, you mean over a million pages, not users/customers, right...mostly users of free version of CubeCart 3 ? :)

I agree with you, I'd like to be able to have this choice and helping you promote your business. Only difference is that I believe that method of promotion is (partially)wrong, regarding customers who purchased the software license and want to promote your business(for whatever reason) with text and link to your site.

Guest baulaser-hein

Thank you Al, you mean over a million pages, not users/customers, right...mostly users of free version of CubeCart 3 ? :)

I agree with you, I'd like to be able to have this choice and helping you promote your business. Only difference is that I believe that method of promotion is (partially)wrong, regarding customers who purchased the software license and want to promote your business(for whatever reason) with text and link to your site.

i also think there are better ways, instead of putting a "Powered by Cubecart" behind every product

I dont understand this thread at all.

Al has provided an option for customers who just want to purchase cubecart and leave 'powered by cubecart' at a lower cost. (good on yer Al)

or...................

pay more and have it removed

The choice is there for anybody to make. If you dont like it then pay to have it removed ?????? If you dont mind it or dont want to pay then leave it there ????

Im with you Brivteck on this one. Im lost with this thread completely ;):dizzy:

But hey thats what the forum is for. Just cos I cant understand it doesnt mean im right....

iPod (Powered by CubeCart) in header? Well, because it's not true, the product name is iPod!

How about it gets changed to iPod (The store is Powered by Cubecart)

At least it copyright remains and doesn't mislead customers into thinking an iPod is powered by Cubecart and that the 'store' is.

Is that what you mean?

Guest astrobox

iPod (Powered by CubeCart) in header? Well, because it's not true, the product name is iPod!

At least it copyright remains and doesn't mislead customers into thinking an iPod is powered by Cubecart and that the 'store' is.

Is that what you mean?

i think you gave him the great idea to stop this comedy :dizzy:

@Zaja

i know, sometimes, the Powered by Cubecart is getting annoying, but, sometimes, it makes our customer feel safe when shopping with us, because our customer knows "how's great the cubecart" itself.

Guest Brivtech

Is that what you mean?

OH! Is that what he meant? I didn't even realise that!