Availability Of Some Boxes In Cart.tpl?

Guest philoye

Guest philoye

Several boxes from index.tpl don't show up when embedding into the cart template. I've noticed:

• {SESSION}
  • {SHOPPING_CART}
  • {CURRENCY}
  • {CATEGORIES}
  • {MAIL_LIST}

I can certainly understand why on many skins you wouldn't want to embed these on the cart page. However, on the skin that I'm working on I do for layout consistency.

Is there any way around it without hardcoding the HTML?

Was there a reason why the CC guys explicitly decided to exclude the avialability of these boxes?

Guest philoye

just want to visit, maybe i can rate it with 1-5 stars :rolly:

Ah... you'll be welcome to rate. I plan on posting a full debrief of my experience customising CC4. Hopefully, it'll be interesting to some.

The reason for not putting these on the cat pages is not to distract the user from checking out.

The checkout process in general needs to be a clean easily navigatable process with no distractions.

With some stores I can see why you may want some extra boxes but you have listed the shopping cart box ??? there realy is no reason for this to be there.

You would need to alter the code in some files to have them appear, theres no way around that.

You need to alter includes/ global/ cart.inc.php just under '## START CONTENT BOXES'

Guest philoye

The reason for not putting these on the cat pages is not to distract the user from checking out.

The checkout process in general needs to be a clean easily navigatable process with no distractions.

With some stores I can see why you may want some extra boxes but you have listed the shopping cart box ??? thee realy is no reason for this to be there.

You would need to alter the code in some files to have them appear, theres no way around that.

You need to alter includes/ global/ cart.inc.php just under '## START CONTENT BOXES'

As I said above, I can understand why they are hidden by default, but preventing people from doing it seems overkill, in my opinion. This is the reason all Web 2.0 apps have APIs, because the creators can not anticipate all ends.

For example, being able to change the currency while on the currency page seems useful, no? The point is, in the hands of a skilled designer, flexibility trumps.

With regards to the Shopping Cart box, I have modified that box so that it simply reads "Shopping cart [ X ]", where X is the number of items in the cart. I am not actually listing the contents of the cart on every page. Does that make sense? Remember, the cart template is used for many pages beyond the cart itself (e.g., order history, order details).

But thanks for that pointer! I haven't done it yet, but it would seem to be exactly what I need. Cheers!

WOW! You rock my world. That did the trick, thank you so much!

You make some valid points & I now see why you want the cart box.

I think its just a case of perhaps not clogging CC up with what they may believe to be unnecessary code & keeping load times and file size to a minimum but I do undertand what your saying.

Glad you got it soted & good luck with your store.

Guest philoye

You make some valid points & I now see why you want the cart box.

I think its just a case of perhaps not clogging CC up with what they may believe to be unnecessary code & keeping load times and file size to a minimum but I do undertand what your saying.

Glad you got it soted & good luck with your store.

I'm glad that the fix was so simple, I was afraid I would have to get serious with the code!

Thanks again.