Selling a script

Hi! Ive been writing open source PHP scripts for around 1 year now. Im working on a very large script which i had planned on selling. Does anybody know the steps on selling a script? (Im planning on just using paypal)

As far as i know i just recieve payment then send a copy of the script with a random id number and a licence. Is this a good method?

There are many ways and its generally a big headache. Protecting intellectual property is next to impossible. I guese thst the beauty of Open Source.... You can't protect it. :D

There are many hosts who can offer pay per download and that their cut. You could however build somekind of PayPal IPN script which allows users say 2 download attempts after purchase. This sounds tricky but it is not. Just stick the archive in a folder above the public_html one. Then if payment is successful grant the user access to a script which read off the file and reads/downloads it out of the browser.

YOu could offer a Zend encoded version as a trial. I know many cowboy companies that do that with CubeCart! :)

Have a look at www.ZEND.com

They do a PHP code encryptor.

The price might be a surprise though :)

JUST seen the SMALL BUSINESS PRICE which is only US$201 for "Encoder".

Only question now is how much it impacts on code performance....

OH!

It requires a freeware decoder to be installed on the server delivering the PHP scripts, but they say it "Increases runtime performance up to 40%." which is pretty impressive in its own right without the encryptrion, no?