Need Suggestions To Sell Same Product, Different Sizes

KirkM

I'm looking for some help from the talented minds out there. I'll try to make this clear and concise:

I have a client who sells vitamins, supplements and body building amino acids, etc.

He has each product in many different sizes, 60 tablets, 120 tablets, 240, tablets, 500 tablets, etc. AND also offers it in powders of all sizes. As you can guess, that makes a lot of combinations. I wish the options feature had one little additional parameter. I'll try to explain -

Each product sold online is discounted from the list price and he wants to show the list price and the sale price FOR EACH SIZE OF EACH PRODUCT. CC4 does that, but only if you list each product size as a separate product. He (and I) don't want to do that. Waaay too much clutter and redundancy.

If you use the options, then the price is listed for the smallest size and then you can add an option for each size and the additional cost. The problem is there is no way to indicate the discount being received off of normal list price in each of the additional sizes.

What is needed is a Product with full description and a sort of hybrid option that is more of a sub-product that lists each size as a product to add to the basket and has the list price strikeout with discount price showing for each option within the product itself.

Realizing this isn't really possible, anybody have a clever workaround to do something to sort of simulate this? Maybe someone has written a mod to address this type of situation? Maybe I'm an idiot and it is right in front of my face? I would be happy if any of these were true (I know the idiot part is).

I can't imagine that this sort of thing isn't an issue with other stores selling clothes or packaged foods like candies or something where there would be different sizes and all and the full price needs to be listed for each instead of an option with an additional cost.

I can only come up with doing sub-categories that are actually the product full description and the products attached to the sub-category (which is now a pseudo-prod desc) as just the name and size. I think it will work OK, but it isn't really as elegant a solution as I would like and adds an extra drill-down for the customer that I would like to avoid.

All suggestions welcomed!

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Guest mhilliard

I've also been looking for a solution to showing different quantities for the same item.. It seems counterintuitive to enter the same product over and over, when a 1, 5, 10, 20... etc option would be best.

Have you found a workaround more elegant than the category solution?

Thanks,

m.

I've also been looking for a solution to showing different quantities for the same item.. It seems counterintuitive to enter the same product over and over, when a 1, 5, 10, 20... etc option would be best.

Have you found a workaround more elegant than the category solution?

Thanks,

m.

No. I did the sub-category as the product description and then each product is the size of the same thing. It is a little clunky, but it will work. The store isn't online yet, but the site is www.anabol.com. We hope to go live in the next couple of weeks. He has a LOT of products.