Perhaps Not What You'd Expect...

Guest Brivtech

I gave up after 15 seconds (DSL) of waiting for a flash load - and after seeing the requirement for left to right scroll.

More than half the world is on a slow connection and a significant percentage of non-tech users have CRTs set for 800 by 600 pixels. Then there are those who don't have the Flash plugin. It adds up to a rejected customer base of some value.

"Kew-el" does not always translate to "cool cash."

Usually I just ignore these things but this is the second time today I've taken the bait. I know it's a losing fight.

Why should I care when no one else seems to? I'm not saying that I am wrong because I'm a lone voice on these issues? I know that what I'm saying is true.

From now on, I'm just gonna shut up and just watch the consequences (meaning will those sites be there a year from now?)

Guest Brivtech

Gosh, I'm sorry about that Joe. Shame you weren't just a little more patient, as unfortunately, you've missed the point of the link, and I don't want to give spoilers. ;)

Gosh, I'm sorry about that Joe. Shame you weren't just a little more patient, as unfortunately, you've missed the point of the link, and I don't want to give spoilers. ;)
I know you understand I was speaking for those many people who don't have anything faster than a 56k connection.

Here's why others think a page download time (especially the first page) of under 10 seconds over a 56k dialup is important. Upfront - I do not agree with everything each of these sites say, but as regards the importance of download time, I agree without qualification. I'm being cute in the choice of that word for reasons explained in another Show Off thread - it does not mean I am not qualified - it means I agree without any mental reservation - and no offense should be taken by anyone of native origins in the Western Hemisphere over my use of "reservation" but I will admit that a recent fiasco with a certain airline still has me POed - these are just more examples showing that words take meaning from context.

And if you read the entire above paragraph, you experienced the same impatience with my irrelevant discursions as a visitor to a web site that causes delay in downloading while a clever graphic designs shows off his own special skills. I started out promising access to specific information but in order to show off how clever I am in manipulating code (in this case the code called "English") you were forced to wait more than 10 seconds for me to get to the promised references, which now follow.

http://webword.com/weblog/002184.html

http://www.nacse.org/home/usability/usabil...age_design.html

http://www.paulgraham.com/mistakes.html

http://www.webmasterworld.com/accessibilit...ity/3472772.htm

There are many more, but let's face it, who has the time to download them? ;)

Guest Brivtech

Joe, good points, but you really have missed the plot here, and gone off on a complete tangent. ;) I really didn't expect your reaction, it was just supposed to be a bit of fun. Never mind. ;)

Guest webicon

Nice One Brent.

Had that been a 'real' homepage I would be backing Joe up on this - especially as i'm not a fan of flash for flash sake (personal opinion - bad flashbacks of boo). At the very least i would be appealing for you to add a cookie to the flash file to ensure that a returning user didn't have to watch the intro everytime...

BUT it is what it is -and as it will no-doubt as last poster suggested have huge viral appeal. That alone WILL have people happily waiting for the page to load. I found it very entertaining and yes - very much unlike anything else out there at the moment.

It is a very well thought out and executed design, and I hope it achieves what you want it to do.

Guest DarkSunStudio

:unsure: I tried to click around and buy stuff when it was all said and done.

That said...WOW. Talk about best uses of flash. I love this, and am going to resist the ruge to act like most of my clients and say, "Ooooh - I want one too!"

But I will be emailing links of that one. Whoever did it, nicely done.

-- Darksunstudio

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wonderworks

As for the load times etc. The site is aimed purely at the Dutch. I think that 85% of the Dutch are on ADSL internet connections of 4096/1024 (thats Lite, fast is 20MB/4096) or faster. The load time for the site for me is under 2 seconds.