Maestro Cards Have 19 Digits Instead Of 18 Now

Guest downliner

Guest downliner

I've logged this issue in a support ticket but wanted to know if anyone else has noticed this?

We receive one or two calls daily from customers now saying they are unable to pay using their Maestro card because it contains 19 digits and not 18. Can anyone who has a recently issued Maestro card in the UK confirm this for me by counting the number of digits? :errm:

We removed "maxLength=18" from form.tpl giving the customers the ability to enter 19 digits but the payments are still failing :w00t:

We use PayPal Pro UK and all other cards have had no issues at all. Maestro worked fine until 2-3 weeks ago, since then we've been receiving calls on a daily basis.

Thanks

Guest Brivtech

I didn't think Maestro cards could be used for online payments, because they are supposed to be "owner-present transaction" cards, and can only be used on certain debit card terminals, and cash machines.

My experience with Maestro and Solo is that the kind of customers who were using them in were a bit on the dodgy side, had a negative credit rating, and were trying to pull a fast one because they didn't have the money in their bank in the first place; in fact, one of them had his wife ask if she could return the product for a credit, because he was now in prison!!! While this is my own limited unique experience, and I dare not suggest that everyone with debit-only cards fit this demographic, this is something that should be taken into consideration.

Have you been able to process Maestro cards before? Am I wrong about this?

Guest xceejayx

I didn't think Maestro cards could be used for online payments

I use my maestro card to shop online all the time.

can only be used on certain debit card terminals, and cash machines.

As far as i'm aware you can use any cash machine, and i've never encountered a shop that doesn't accept them. Maybe you're thinking of Solo cards...?

As for people who use them being dodgy, i don't know.

I just don't believe in using credit cards.

Guest EverythingWeb

My experience with Maestro and Solo is that the kind of customers who were using them in were a bit on the dodgy side

Nope. NatWest, as they use Mastercard not visa, give Solo cards for Business accounts, it's not anything about 'dodginess'.

I think you'll find some versions of the electrons have printed numbers instead of embossed and they are the only card which is holder-present, other than cash-only cards. These tend to be limited-feature bank accounts, such as cash-accounts and people with poor credit ratings, because they aren't a cheque guarantee card, which is where the normal Debit card usually becomes the banks 'risk'.

Back to the OP's question - if PayPal Pro is a seamless gateway, then the file which is stopping the trans, I'd image is: classes/validate/validateCard.php - it'll be a regex failing on the lenght.

I believe I have modified that script before now to deal with the newest BIN ranges as given to me by Barclays Merchant services, so I'll have a look shortly and report back :w00t:

I believe I have modified that script before now to deal with the newest BIN ranges as given to me by Barclays Merchant services, so I'll have a look shortly and report back :w00t:

That would be great, many thanks indeed :errm:

• 2 weeks later...