Add Extra Fee For Some Gateways When

Guest Hellborn

As you'll see when you search the forum, this has been asked many times and the answer is always that this type of extra fee is against the rules of the various credit cards and PayPal. You could lose your ability to accept these forms of payment if they take the time to check. It's not worth the risk.

You are advised to cover the payment processing costs in your overall profit margins and count it as a cost of doing business, just like your web hosting costs. If your margins are that thin, then raise your prices the extra 2% to cover yourself. Your customers probably won't notice.

Guest Hellborn

Thanks for the update, strange I couldn't find anything cause I search like 10 minutes on different words, I'm probably insane =P

But I still need to do it and maybe leave paypal outside cause I can imagine they are those that have these rules! I have invoice, another credit card payment option here in Sweden, Cash on delivery and then none would mind if you charge different prices cause it's a big difference here in Sweden depending on which option the customer picks. It's 3 times more expensive to send it on COD than on prepayment with credit card!

So I still wonder are there any mods for it and is it possible?

Thanks! :(

As you'll see when you search the forum, this has been asked many times and the answer is always that this type of extra fee is against the rules of the various credit cards and PayPal. You could lose your ability to accept these forms of payment if they take the time to check. It's not worth the risk.

You are advised to cover the payment processing costs in your overall profit margins and count it as a cost of doing business, just like your web hosting costs. If your margins are that thin, then raise your prices the extra 2% to cover yourself. Your customers probably won't notice.

Guest Hellborn

Stevie. I understand you and I will go on searching outside here if it's against the policy.

Just want to explain that it's not that easy in Sweden AND I will not use Paypal and my 3 other gateways do not care about if I have different prices. It's obvious in Sweden to have that and with those company I work with!

2% would never make it work. Here's the difference for one package converted to US dollars and this is the cheapest sending $4.50 with creditcard, $12.30 for COD!

If I had the same prices on both gateways I would get ruined cause everyone would choose COD and it would be 3 times more expensive.

I know you don't have so huge difference in US but Sweden is a sick country when it comes to postage rates! That's why I asked!

Anyway let's close this topic cause I don't want to go on if it's against the policy of the forum! :(

Thanks!

Well, COD is a different story. Yes, that definitely does cost more and there are no rules against passing that charge to your customer.

It's also not a 'gateway' fee, but a 'shipping' fee. Your original post didn't mention COD, just Visa and PayPal.

Any gateway that processes Visa payments will have to adhere to the rules set forth by Visa - that no extra charge can be levied against the customer for using the card. In this, PayPal is simply adhering to the Visa rules.

Guest Hellborn

Alan, damn I noticed now I never said anything about that in my first post, I'm dizzy =P Sorry!

Then I understand .... Visa and Paypal have these rules worldwide on all payment gateways they deals with or? I have dibs that are located in Denmark and I never found any guidelines about this so I never heard about it! I did find the info about it at Paypal and it was a violation against their rules.

Xceejayx Thanks for the tip, will check it out!

• 4 weeks later...

Alan, damn I noticed now I never said anything about that in my first post, I'm dizzy =P Sorry!

Then I understand .... Visa and Paypal have these rules worldwide on all payment gateways they deals with or? I have dibs that are located in Denmark and I never found any guidelines about this so I never heard about it! I did find the info about it at Paypal and it was a violation against their rules.

Xceejayx Thanks for the tip, will check it out!

You could always set up a product option on each item for COD, Visa and Paypal, which would then add the Apropriate extra cost to the item being purchased.