Add To Basket Fails (intermittent Problem, Some Customers Only, Perhap

Guest estelle

Guest Brivtech

Hi Estelle

I have been reading your post and was hoping you can help me.

I am using the latest version of CC4 I have had 2 customers today contact me stating when they go to checkout the basket empties. They have not been much help with diagnosing the problem but one of them was using internet explorer told here to clear cookies and she managed to place an order. Is this the same as the issue in you post as the problem you mentioned is that the products won’t add to basket rather than the products being added and then removed. But maybe they did not notice the products were added as customers are not redirected to the basket after adding the products.

Thank You in advance for your attention.

Regards

Darren

I can confirm that I've just had a customer telling me this. When they clicked on checkout, the basket emptied.

No further information I'm afriad. I'm running CC4.2.2.

I think it's important that the developers test older browsers when posting fixes - Not everyone bothers or realises they need to update their software. I've mentioned this before, being told "Hardly anyone uses that browser any more". Well, hardly anyone does, but a paying customer who couldn't place their order did.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Estelle

I have been reading your post and was hoping you can help me.

I am using the latest version of CC4 I have had 2 customers today contact me stating when they go to checkout the basket empties. They have not been much help with diagnosing the problem but one of them was using internet explorer told here to clear cookies and she managed to place an order. Is this the same as the issue in you post as the problem you mentioned is that the products won’t add to basket rather than the products being added and then removed. But maybe they did not notice the products were added as customers are not redirected to the basket after adding the products.

Thank You in advance for your attention.

Regards

Darren

I can confirm that I've just had a customer telling me this. When they clicked on checkout, the basket emptied.

I think it's important that the developers test older browsers when posting fixes - Not everyone bothers or realises they need to update their software. I've mentioned this before, being told "Hardly anyone uses that browser any more". Well, hardly anyone does, but a paying customer who couldn't place their order did.

Interesting that I should read these when I find out about the same problem.... I had a customer contact me a couple days ago saying she had been repeatedly trying to place an order but whenever she clicks on the checkout button her basket empties. She was able to add to basket just fine, and to view the basket just fine.

From what she told me, she was using IE, and she says she cleared her cache and cookies, but it still emptied the basket when she clicked checkout. Not sure what version of IE it was though. I'm using 4.2.2

It is the only report I've had so far though so I hope it's just a one off - looks like she was using a university computer... could using a shared computer, or maybe one with higher security have something to do with it? Luckily she was willing to just post the order through email, but I'm keeping my eye on my stats for dropped carts to see if I can tell if anyone else might be having the same problem.

I've got this problem happening on one of my stores, but only on the category 'buy' button. When clicking 'add to basket' from within the product view, it's fine and works correctly. Once in the basket, items behave and stay there as per a working store.

I've been looking at the underlying code that I believe performs the add functionality but it's not making sense to me...

/skins/.../styleTemplates/viewCat.tpl

Typical form with the action of "/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=13", method is POST

Hidden input "add" with the value of "6" (product ID 6)

Hidden input "quan" with the value of "1"

/includes/content/viewCat.inc.php (Around line 422)

There's a conditional statement checking if values "add" and "quan" are set (isset), but they're looking for the values from the querystring, not from a form post. Have I missed some functionality in between?

The store is now 4.2.3 with SEO mod enabled (apache rewrite), I can't confirm if the buy button worked prior to the upgrade from 4.2.2 to 4.2.3

• 1 month later...

I can also reproduce this problem in another way:

1. First create an account and log in.

2 logout of account

2. navigate to a product and add it to basket.

3. view basket and it appears empty

This is confirmed on the cubecart demo store.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest RenateH

I upgraded to 4.3.2 today, and am right back to where clicking 'add to cart' just flashes and doesn't add. It happens all the time as far as i can tell. seo is enabled. the site is http://www.gottalovebeads.com

It was my understanding that Estelle's fixes were incorporated in the upgrades, were they not?

Renate

• 1 month later...
Guest ifixipodsfast

I am having the same issue and having many customers get frustrated and NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM ME...

When is cubecart going to resolve the issue? I PAID for the store software... cubecart 3 worked and it worked much better...

We need to get an official fixing this because how many people are losing money and orders because of a cookie issue... probably a lot!

So long cubecart... hello virtuemart.

Guest ifixipodsfast

Ok I've been able to replicate the issue.

If you turn your internet security setting to high instead of medium high you cannot add items into the basket.

(So under IE go to Tools/internet options and then go to the security tab.)

As soon as you switch back to medium high the store begins to function correctly.

So there is something in the setup of cubecart that is not working (ie the javascript "add to basket" function can't work when the security settings are set to high.)

If someone else could replicate this and verify it that would be great...

Guest ChrisWebPub

Ok I've been able to replicate the issue.

If you turn your internet security setting to high instead of medium high you cannot add items into the basket.

(So under IE go to Tools/internet options and then go to the security tab.)

As soon as you switch back to medium high the store begins to function correctly.

So there is something in the setup of cubecart that is not working (ie the javascript "add to basket" function can't work when the security settings are set to high.)

If someone else could replicate this and verify it that would be great...

I believe the problem is that cubecart will not function if users have cookies blocked or otherwise turned off.

Nowadays because of inappropriate scare tactics it is becoming more and more common for people to turn cookies off. This really should be fixed. Every other software out there uses sessionids in the URLs when cookies are off (with a caveat for search engine spiders to keep the site spider friendly). Cubecart apparently does not.

Guest ifixipodsfast

Well unfortunately most people I have surf at work and their security settings in IE are set to high which breaks it... it's frustrating because I don't have the time to ditch cubecart at the moment.

Guest jazzydan58

I would just like to add that I am suffering from this on a range of store all running several different versions of cubecart 4 from 4.2.2 up to 4.3 and they all suffer from this same problem.

Why is this not being fixed by Cubecart support its a major bug and costing me ££££, is there an outstanding bug report on this?

Forgot to add that I can see this happening in almost realtime because I am using the customer tracking mod I can see someone adding the item over an over again then 5 minutes later I (normally) get a phone call saying my websites not working they cant add a product to the the basket!

• 1 month later...

I know there have been a lot of "So is this working yet?" posts, so I apologize for making a similar post without any real contribution other than to just let others know they are not alone.

Is this issue ANY better with 4.3 or is it the same? I'm still on 4.2.3 but haven't upgraded because I have quite a number of mods.

Has anyone discovered a routine of browser setting changes that will make it so this works? If I create a page that explains that customers should change their internet browser settings from High to Medium, will that do the trick for most of my customers? Unfortunately those that DO contact us about the issue (I imagine those are just a fraction of all those experiencing the problem) usually aren't savvy enough to even tell us what browser they are using, much less the security settings, version numbers, etc..

We have invested a LOT OF TIME AND MONEY into cubecart, and just really can't switch horses midstream right now and move to a different script - so I just really hope that cubecart will get a fix up. I'm tired of losing sales, losing customers, and hesitating on creating new stores for my clients using cubecart.

Guest RenateH

Is this issue ANY better with 4.3 or is it the same? I'm still on 4.2.3 but haven't upgraded because I have quite a number of mods.

I upgraded to 4.3 last week because a customer was reporting the issue on 4.2.3 Well, it didn't help, it still exists. I am also getting sign-ins that don't 'stick' - they revert back to guest, and lockouts on accounts.

Because of all this, I started looking around again, and decided to revisit Magento now that they've had time to settle in a bit. On a whim I did a search on 'can't add to cart' in their forums and lo and behold, they had the problem too. They tracked it down to a time zone/cookie problem. And some people there have solved it by switching the destroy cookie period from 1 minute up to 12 hours or 24 hours. In cubecart, thanks to Estelle, they increased the time to one hour in 4.3 I went in and changed it to 12 hours on my site, now am waiting to see if it makes a difference.

Also someone pointed out that there was a p3p solution given on these forums for cubecart version 3. This is supposed to help with the security level issue. I put that in too. That involves adding a line to the .htaccess file

Renate

I upgraded to 4.3 last week because a customer was reporting the issue on 4.2.3 Well, it didn't help, it still exists. I am also getting sign-ins that don't 'stick' - they revert back to guest, and lockouts on accounts.

Because of all this, I started looking around again, and decided to revisit Magento now that they've had time to settle in a bit. On a whim I did a search on 'can't add to cart' in their forums and lo and behold, they had the problem too. They tracked it down to a time zone/cookie problem. And some people there have solved it by switching the destroy cookie period from 1 minute up to 12 hours or 24 hours. In cubecart, thanks to Estelle, they increased the time to one hour in 4.3 I went in and changed it to 12 hours on my site, now am waiting to see if it makes a difference.

Also someone pointed out that there was a p3p solution given on these forums for cubecart version 3. This is supposed to help with the security level issue. I put that in too. That involves adding a line to the .htaccess file

Renate

Renate, please post again once you see the results of your efforts there. I would love to hear of your solutions work. I REALLY have to get this addressed. I'm getting the sign-ins not sticking issue as well. And thanks for the information on Magento.

Thank you for your post.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RenateH

Renate, please post again once you see the results of your efforts there. I would love to hear of your solutions work. I REALLY have to get this addressed. I'm getting the sign-ins not sticking issue as well. And thanks for the information on Magento.

Thank you for your post.

Guest ifixipodsfast

So basically what this means is that Cubecart does not care about the people who have paid substantial amounts of money both by purchasing and supporting cubecart (I know I've spent over $250 personally just for the product) and the people who depend on cubecart for means of their sole income.

I don't know how many customers don't buy from me because of this but it looks like it's time to move on. It frustrates me to no end that nothing has been done about the issue even though users have begged for a fix for so long.

Cubecart = Rubbish.

Renate, I believe I have been able to fix this problem at my store. I have had no further reports of this problem at my store (even from customers who experience the problem at other CubeCart stores).

FIRST FIX. If you are not already running the latest version of CubeCart 4, download the latest version and get the classes/session/cc_session.php file from it. Upload this new cc_session.php file. ** Test your store thoroughly to see if the problem remains **

SECOND FIX. IF the problem remains, make the following changes to your classes/session/cc_session.php file. This should fix the problem. ** After making the changes below, you should again thoroughly test your store to see if the problem has been resolved. **

FIND this:

setcookie(CC_SESSION_NAME);

REPLACE with this:

/* Fix session bug - clear cookies properly */

/* setcookie(CC_SESSION_NAME); */

setcookie(CC_SESSION_NAME, '', time()-3600, $GLOBALS['rootRel']);

FIND this:

$expires = ($length>0) ? (time()+$length) : 0;

setcookie($name, $value, $expires, $GLOBALS['rootRel']);

REPLACE with this:

$expires = ($length>0) ? (time()+$length) : 0;

/* Fix session bug - delete cookies first to get rid of any junk cookies created by session bug */

setcookie($name, '', time()-3600);

setcookie($name, $value, $expires, $GLOBALS['rootRel']);

THIRD AND FINAL FIX.  IF the problem remains, (e.g. if the problem continues to occur during your testing, or if the problem goes away for you but you later receive reports from customers at your store that they are experiencing the same problem), then apply the following change also.

$client_ip = get_ip_address();

if (strpos($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'],'AOL') == false && !empty($result[0]['ip']) && ($result[0]['ip'] !== $client_ip || $result[0]['browser'] !== $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'])) {

$this->destroySession($GLOBALS[CC_SESSION_NAME]);

}

REPLACE with this:

/* Fix session bug - remove this block...

$client_ip = get_ip_address();

if (strpos($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'],'AOL') == false && !empty($result[0]['ip']) && ($result[0]['ip'] !== $client_ip || $result[0]['browser'] !== $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'])) {

$this->destroySession($GLOBALS[CC_SESSION_NAME]);

}

*/

EDIT 19th June 08: Corrected mistake in first change shown above.

My store is 4.1.1. From the beginning (last Sept, I believe) no one using AOL has been able to store choices in their shopping cart while logged off. I've had some two dozen or more successful orders from other IP's. So tonight when an AOL shopper told me about this problem, I came here for a solution. I've implemented these edits, but it has changed nothing. Well, that's not true. Now even I cannot keep anything in my shopping cart, and I'm on Charter. I know for a fact it used to work for me. I've tried deleting cookies, too. No change.

This is a serious issue, begging for a fix.

FIRST FIX. If you are not already running the latest version of CubeCart 4, download the latest version and get the classes/session/cc_session.php file from it. Upload this new cc_session.php file.

This is probably a very good idea, but implementing it on a 4.1.1 store doesn't work. There are errors when logging in.

Error Message:

1054: Unknown column 'salt' in 'field list'

SQL:

SELECT `customer_id`, `salt` FROM CubeCart_customer WHERE `type`>0 AND `email`='my_email_address

What is that about?

I just upgraded my store to 4.3.0, and my shopping cart STILL cannot hold items. I made the edits as outlined by Estelle, deleted old cookies.... no change.

However.... when I use IE8 at my store, the shopping cart sticks. My problem must then be with FF3 and how it stores cookies. Is that it?

My problem with the cart was not related to this bug. It was about how CubeCart is designed to kill cookies (thus emptying shopping baskets) on logout. This is a different issue, and is being addressed by CubeCart in 4.3.1, as I am told.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PLMaster

Al, this may be the world's dumbest questions but would the files on the page linked above work ok with CC 4.2.2? I have too many mods and don't plan on ever upgrading again unless I absolutely have to. Thanks

Guest maksum

Yeah I'm pretty sure it will be fine. You may need PHP5 however. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP, first. :yeahhh:

PLMaster, please let us know how it goes. I am in the same boat with 4.2.3. I am watching this thread with much interest.

Mike

Guest PLMaster

I have php5, that's not a problem. If you could just tell me the folders each of the three should go in I'd be grateful. My luck I'd find something with that name, replace it and find out it's just a same-name file in the wrong folder! I'll probably try it out next week at the latest since I have way too much to do right now to have to do the kind of testing I usually do when I patch something.

This one will be interesting since I can't personally duplicate the problem. We've just had four or five people complain about it so I assume it's there.