Which Files Can Be Deleted?

jerseyjoe

I'm curious to know how to make a lean CubeCart installation by removing files that are not essential to all installations.

For example, I would guess that you could delete all the skin files other than those for the skin being actually being used.

Could you delete all the language files other English as long as it were the only language option in the language options box?

Currencies if $ were the only accepted currency?

Shipping not being used? Gateway modules?

What else?

The only thing I've tried deleting are the extra skins and languages and they don't cause any problems. I wouldn't see any problem with shipping and payment gateways you aren't ever going to use being deleted either. Not sure about currencies but again, I cannot see any reason why not.

Guest EverythingWeb

Currencies are stored in the database, so deleting them isn't going to save any file space, to be honest. :)

Currencies are stored in the database, so deleting them isn't going to save any file space, to be honest. :(

Hi Joe,

Don't be such a tightwad, upgrade your hosting account <grin>

Interesting question though, but as Al (and others) don't put too many comments in the code, there isn't much space to be saved.

If you're not using any sideboxes (languages, newsletter etc), then you could remove the .tpl file from the Skin and the corresponding .inc.php from /includes/boxes

You'll also need to take it from the index.php in the root of the site.

Any shipping/payment modules not required can also be removed.

The Rich Text editor in /admin takes up quite a bit of space, mainly due to extra language files, and the source code (the editor is compressed javascript, but ships with the source code)

I can't think of anything else really.

You may shave a few hundred bytes by optimising the css used in the skin and the admin section.

I usually take out the modules, languages, but once you've added a few products, all that space saving goes...

Jason