Spam Bot Proof Email Address

Guest zodiac73

Guest zodiac73

Under UK law I must have a contact email address on my sites, I have held off so far as putting one on with a simple mailto gets farmed within no time at all and I don't have time to sieve through loads of spam crud each day! Even putting "address (at) domain (dot) com" or other similar tricks will be found and turned into an email address so that's no better :-(

I have seen over time different methods for having a clickable email address that will launch an email client but is unreadable and unrecognisable as as email address to the spam bots. What methods have you guys employed that have been successful, and can receommend, as I want to get an email addy on the sites to comply with the long arm of the law but not a disposable one that I have to keep changing but a permanent one.

Don't mention spam filters etc I have had no luck with them, the only way is don't get spidered in the first place!

All help appreciated as always.

TIA,

Simon :-)

You can have a contact form on your site with a Captcha code, this is what i use and have never had any spam whatsoever !! the only downside to this is that you do not get added to address list of the person sending the email as apposed to opening up their mail client which would (in most cases) automaticaly add you to their address list.

You could also use a clickable image to open up their mail client instead of text. The advantage of this is that you wouyd most probably be added to their address list.

I think these are the most obvious and at present i have had no need to look any further with regards to my clients or myself.

Hope its some help to you.

Hi Simon,

I've seen some javascript code which simply writes the email link via code. Bots won't be able to run javascript on each page they read, and so it will keep your address out of their databases.

You could also escape the string, but this would be easier to decode the page below will provide both solutions.

http://www.diplo.co.uk/design/encode.php

The downside to the js soloution, is that Javascript must be enabled.. With Cubecart (which requires Javascript to purchase products) its less of an issue, but with more flexible sites, you could be excluding some people.

A nice solution would be a <no script> section, showing an image with your email address, if Javascript is disabled.

A contact form is not the same as a published email address, the following page on OutLaw.com may help;

http://www.out-law.com/page-7594

I can't find an official gov.uk url but its probably on the DTI site.

Jason