V3 To V4 Upgrade Questions

aris1234

When upgrading from v3 to v4 does the upgrade script take into account all of the old user data and past sales? Are these migrated across to the new v4 database?

Besides mods, what can I expect to lose from an existing v3 system when I upgrade to v4?

Thanks,

Please note there is no migration but version 3 database upgrade your current data are not removed. There is no BACK STEP to version 3 database make sure you back up your current database before upgrade.

Guest maxxtraxx

i am upgrading from v3 to v4 as well, and after following the ReadMe throughly, i browse to www.mystore.com/setup and i see the CubeCart Setup screen just fine but i get a message, "Please choose whether you wish to to install or upgrade an existing store." but no option to upgrade?!?

There is a button below that with the scary text, "Choose this option if you wish to perform a fresh install..." w/ said scary warning.

If I choose this option will I lose all my customer data? Orders? Products?

Help! :angry:

i am upgrading from v3 to v4 as well, and after following the ReadMe throughly, i browse to www.mystore.com/setup and i see the CubeCart Setup screen just fine but i get a message, "Please choose whether you wish to to install or upgrade an existing store." but no option to upgrade?!?

There is a button below that with the scary text, "Choose this option if you wish to perform a fresh install..." w/ said scary warning.

If I choose this option will I lose all my customer data? Orders? Products?

Help! :angry:

i had this problem before and if I remember I was told to make sure these files from v3 are in the includes folder of your v4 files:

inlcudes/global.inc.php

includes/ini.inc.php

Guest maxxtraxx

hi ausy,

thanks, yes that was it! from the ReadMe install instructions it is not entirely clear if you should keep your old includes dir, so i didn't upload any files to it. now that i did, it works!

cheers

hi ausy,

thanks, yes that was it! from the ReadMe install instructions it is not entirely clear if you should keep your old includes dir, so i didn't upload any files to it. now that i did, it works!

cheers

I think this is very clear:

+--------------------------------------------------------

| 3. Upgrade Instructions - version 3.0.x to latest version 4

+--------------------------------------------------------

a. Take a FULL backup of your existing files and database and check that

it is complete. This is critical in case the upgrade process fails or

there is an error.

b. Please delete the following folders and files:

Folders:

/admin/

/classes/

/docs/

/extra/

/js/

/language/

/modules/

/pear/

/skins/

Files:

/cart.php

/confirmed.php

/download.php

/offLine.php

/switch.php

This should just leave the following folders:

/images

/includes

Red marked is a folder where two most important files reside :angry:

Guest maxxtraxx

exactly, i left those two folders alone. i didn't delete them or overwrite them. and subsequently i had problems with the install.

"c. Upload the entire contents of this folder over the remaining files

replacing all existing ones."

for the upgrade newbies like me, i think this statement should include something referring to the addition of new files in the includes dir.

i know that i'm more than happy to read directions/instructions, but i also know that programmers write crappy instructions (not implying these are crap) because they assume a lot about their audience.

hell if it were up to programmers, the web would still be all text!

=)

exactly, i left those two folders alone. i didn't delete them or overwrite them. and subsequently i had problems with the install.

"c. Upload the entire contents of this folder over the remaining files

replacing all existing ones."

for the upgrade newbies like me, i think this statement should include something referring to the addition of new files in the includes dir.

i know that i'm more than happy to read directions/instructions, but i also know that programmers write crappy instructions (not implying these are crap) because they assume a lot about their audience.

hell if it were up to programmers, the web would still be all text!

=)

:D fortunately nobody is perfect.

Guest maxxtraxx

ok, well in the continuing saga of upgrading from v3 to v4....

Don't upgrade on a weekend! My site is totally trashed and I can't get any support... so much for paying $189!

enough bitching...

After giving up on trying to upgrade, I deleted all my files and database and restored them back to the webhost. Very nervously, I successfully logged into my v3 Admin Control Panel. I can see all my products, customers, orders, etc. However, when trying to go to my store all I get is a very cryptic message, "Access Denied". You can check it out here: http://www.lookagifthorse.com

That's it, no 1045 error about MySQL, just "Access Denied". I've searched all over this forum and others to no avail. I've checked and re-checked my dbuser and password in my global.inc.php

Does anyone have the slightest idea what could be going on?

Guest maxxtraxx

oh, sorry about that, no it is not. but i didn't want any returning customers to just get the "Access Denied" message.

so i turned off the store, which works just dandy, but when i turn it back on, visitors will just see that message.

:D

Guest maxxtraxx

UPDATE:

Deleted all files and database, restored all from backup. Re-read upgrade instructions, followed to the letter (however there is no note about making global.inc.php writable, but no big deal). Store is upgraded and online.

... and there was much rejoicing. yay.

:D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest degsey69

UPDATE:

Deleted all files and database, restored all from backup. Re-read upgrade instructions, followed to the letter (however there is no note about making global.inc.php writable, but no big deal). Store is upgraded and online.

... and there was much rejoicing. yay.

:unsure:

Is it still working now, I went to the website in your profile and there is a 404 error message on the page

Degsey