Clicking 'checkout' Empties Basket For 30% Of Customers

Guest mepm

Dear fellow CubeCart Store owners/Developers/Designers et all,

I am having a strange problem as alluded to in the title. Here is what is happening:

1. Customer adds item to basket

2. Customer clicks 'view basket'

3. Customer CAN see items in basket

4. Customer clicks 'checkout'

5. Customer is shown 'Your cart is empty' page.

Now this doesn't happen to every customer, at the moment I would gues around 30% of customers. Which for me equals a substantial amount of business being lost needlessly.

My first question is does this happen to anyone else? You may not be aware of this happening unless a customer brings this to your attention. Maybe 1 out of 10 customers experiencing this actually contact me with this issue. I can view my server logs and see which customer click 'add to basket' and then have trouble checking out. They usually try over and over again, finally giving up. Very frustating for both the customer and myself.

I have contacted support about this issue but they are limited to what they can do as they say they cannot replicate the issue. As it happens to 30% of my customers daily, it must be replicable (I made that word up).

If this was a cookie error then the customer cannot view the items in the basket as they don't get added with cookies disabled.

My store setup does not ever use the WWW. part of the domain name, neither in any config file or via SSL. The store is not alluded to as WWW. in the global.inc.php.

I have redirection setup to transfer anybody coming to the store via the WWW. it works for all URLs without exception.

Is there anybody out there who can help, this is a very serious issue. I like CubeCart but if this cannot be solved I will have to look into alternate carts. That's not a veiled threat but the only logical choice left. It is akin to having a revolving door in a real high street store which for some customers spins around and throws them back on the street! If you had a faulty door you get it fixed or replace it with one that works.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to any responses.

Best wishes,

Phil

Ive only seen this happen when the customer started with or without the www and then gets into the cart and the www or not is switched to the oppsite

eg customer starts at www.yourdomain.com then in the cart hits yourdomain.com cubecart thinks (cookie) that its a different site

if you dont use the www at all and have htaccess redirecting and stripping the www then this couldnt be the problem.

have you tried turning on the debug from admin and checking the debug info at the bottom as you go thru the site and whats in it when the items disappear?

also whats your store url so we can check it out and see if we can replicate it as a customer?

Kinetic :angry:

Dear Kinetic,

Thanks for the response.

have you tried turning on the debug from admin and checking the debug info at the bottom as you go thru the site and whats in it when the items disappear?

No, but I will now that you have mentioned it. However as this issue does not appear for me then it won't benefit me but if we can find someone that experiences the issue then it will help. Thanks

also whats your store url so we can check it out and see if we can replicate it as a customer?

Kinetic :angry:

Good idea, the URL is here

This is the procedure to attempt replication of problem, very quick to do, no registering necessary:

1. Add any item to basket

2. Click view basket

3. Click 'checkout' from basket

That's it.

If there is a problem then you will see "Your Cart is empty"

If it works you will be presented with the registration page.

Thanks for your help.

Best wishes,

Phil.

I tried in Fire fox and Internet exploder 6 and couldnt get it to kill the product that I added

you should really try turning on debug from admin and see if you can spot where its going wrong

Also of the customers that did report problems did any report they were using MSN butterfly or some other browser besides Firefox or IE?

Dear Kinetic,

Also of the customers that did report problems did any report they were using MSN butterfly or some other browser besides Firefox or IE?

The ones I managed to talk with were using IE6.X SP2.

you should really try turning on debug from admin and see if you can spot where its going wrong

Ok, I turned it on and this is what I got (below), I switched it off again as it's a live store:

The only thing I noticed was that when I viewed the basket I saw this:

$_POST Variables:

No Data!

Should there be post variables?

And at 'view basket' page:

Array

(

[_g] => co

[_a] => cart

[ccUser] => 00ff641accb2d5754eaba3e2bdb07000

)

After I click 'checkout' I receive:

Array

(

[_g] => co

[_a] => step1

)

i.e. no ccUser variable.

Also in Firefox javascript console I have this error:

Error: Error in parsing value for property 'position'. Declaration dropped.

Source File:

I appreciate you having a look at this Kinetic, thanks.

Best wishes,

Phil.

Dear Burgensteen,

Replicated!

Yeah, Just did it to me !!!!!!

Exactly as you said in your post.

Im on Vista Home Premium/ IE7/ AOL

And again !!!!

Thanks for trying this and the reply. Do you have a spare moment to be a guinea pig?

I will switch on 'DEBUG' and if you try again and copy and paste the blurb that is presented in the 'view basket' page and then on the 'Cart empty' page after clicking checkout. Could you possibly post them here?

Thanks if you can.

Best wishes,

Phil

PS I tried to make this a new reply but it added it on to my old one...

This is what it show when i click checkou and cart comes up empty

$_POST Variables:

No Data!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$_GET Variables:

Array

(

[_g] => co

[_a] => step1

)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$_COOKIE Variables:

Array

(

[PHPSESSID] => 067036a2636868ca69695116439dd859

[ccUser] => 

)

$basket Variables: (unserialize($cc_session->ccUserData['basket']))

No Data!

$cc_session->ccUserData Variables:

Array

(

[sessId] => adeb2b20934e025178ebdc79359b48ac

[basket] => 

[timeStart] => 1201363864

[timeLast] => 1201363864

[customer_id] => 

[location] => 

[skin] => 

[lang] => 

[currency] => 

[ip] => 92.10.7.227

[browser] => Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; AOL 9.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

[email] => 

[password] => 

[title] => 

[firstName] => 

[lastName] => 

[companyName] => 

[add_1] => 

[add_2] => 

[town] => 

[county] => 

[postcode] => 

[country] => 

[phone] => 

[mobile] => 

[regTime] => 

[ipAddress] => 

[noOrders] => 

[optIn1st] => 

[htmlEmail] => 

[type] => 

)

MySQL Queries (27):

Array

(

[0] => SELECT array FROM CubeCart_config WHERE name = 'config'

[1] => SELECT langArray from CubeCart_lang WHERE identifier = '/en/includes/content/step1.inc.php'

[2] => SELECT doc_name FROM CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id='1'

[3] => SELECT doc_name FROM CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id='2'

[4] => SELECT doc_name FROM CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id='3'

[5] => SELECT doc_name FROM CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id='9'

[6] => SELECT doc_name FROM CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id='4'

[7] => SELECT doc_name FROM CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id='12'

[8] => SELECT doc_name FROM CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id='11'

[9] => SELECT I.name, I.image, I.productId FROM CubeCart_inventory AS I LEFT JOIN CubeCart_category AS C ON I.cat_id = C.cat_id WHERE C.hide != 1 AND I.cat_id > 0 ORDER BY RAND(9223) LIMIT 1

[10] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='75'

[11] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='75'

[12] => SELECT doc_name FROM CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id='11'

[13] => SELECT doc_name FROM CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id='11'

[14] => SELECT doc_name FROM CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id='11'

[15] => SELECT doc_name FROM CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id='11'

[16] => SELECT name, productId FROM CubeCart_inventory WHERE cat_id > 0 ORDER BY popularity DESC

[17] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='3'

[18] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='33'

[19] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='37'

[20] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='53'

[21] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='16'

[22] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='73'

[23] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='1'

[24] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='39'

[25] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='72'

[26] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='70'

)

Thanks burgensteen! Your time is greatly appreciated.

Okay, and this is what you get if it works:

$_POST Variables:

No Data!$_GET Variables:

Array

(

[_g] => co

[_a] => step1

)

$_COOKIE Variables:

Array

(

[PHPSESSID] => 11c4f77ee1fe1cd234379965f1cac110

)

Array

(

[conts] => Array

(

[53:] => Array

(

[quantity] => 1

)

)

[invArray] => Array

(

[1] => Array

(

[productId] => 53

[name] => Goji Berries 250g

[productCode] => ME_GB_250

[prodOptions] => 

[price] => 6.00

[quantity] => 1

[digital] => 0

)

)

[discount] => 

[subTotal] => 6.00

[tax] => 0.00

[grandTotal] => 6.00

)

Array

(

[sessId] => 00ff641accb2d5754eaba3e2bdb07000

[basket] => a:6:{s:5:"conts";a:1:{s:3:"53:";a:1:{s:8:"quantity";d:1;}}s:8:

"invArray";a:1:{i:1;a:7:{s:9:"productId";s:2:"53";s:4:"name";

s:17:"Goji Berries  250g";s:11:"productCode";s:9:"ME_GB_250";s:11:"prodOptions";s:0:"";s:5:"price";s:4:

"6.00";s:8:"quantity";s:1:"1";s:7:"digital";s:1:"0";}}s:8:

"discount";s:0:"";s:8:"subTotal";s:4:"6.00";s:3:"tax";s:4:"0.00";s:10:"grandTotal";s:4:"6.00";}

[timeStart] => 1201355746

[timeLast] => 1201364089

[customer_id] => 

[location] => /index.php?_g=co&_a=step1

[skin] => 

[lang] => 

[currency] => 

[ip] => 86.10.97.73

[browser] => Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-GB; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7

[email] => 

[password] => 

[title] => 

[firstName] => 

[lastName] => 

[companyName] => 

[add_1] => 

[add_2] => 

[town] => 

[county] => 

[postcode] => 

[country] => 

[phone] => 

[mobile] => 

[regTime] => 

[ipAddress] => 

[noOrders] => 

[optIn1st] => 

[htmlEmail] => 

[type] => 

)

MySQL Queries (28):

Array

(

[0] => SELECT array FROM CubeCart_config WHERE name = 'config'

[1] => SELECT doc_name FROM CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id='1'

[2] => SELECT doc_name FROM CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id='2'

[3] => SELECT doc_name FROM CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id='3'

[4] => SELECT doc_name FROM CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id='9'

[5] => SELECT doc_name FROM CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id='4'

[6] => SELECT doc_name FROM CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id='12'

[7] => SELECT doc_name FROM CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id='11'

[8] => SELECT name, price, sale_price, productId FROM CubeCart_inventory WHERE productId='53'

[9] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory 

INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='53'

[10] => SELECT I.name, I.image, I.productId FROM CubeCart_inventory AS I LEFT JOIN CubeCart_category AS C 

ON I.cat_id = C.cat_id WHERE C.hide != 1 AND I.cat_id > 0 ORDER BY RAND(8399) LIMIT 1

[11] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory 

INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='83'

[12] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory 

INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='83'

[13] => SELECT doc_name FROM CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id='11'

[14] => SELECT doc_name FROM CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id='11'

[15] => SELECT doc_name FROM CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id='11'

[16] => SELECT doc_name FROM CubeCart_docs WHERE doc_id='11'

[17] => SELECT name, productId FROM CubeCart_inventory WHERE cat_id > 0 ORDER BY popularity DESC

[18] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory 

INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='3'

[19] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory 

INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='33'

[20] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory 

INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='37'

[21] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory 

INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='53'

[22] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory 

INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='16'

[23] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory 

INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='73'

[24] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory 

INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='1'

[25] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory 

INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='39'

[26] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory 

INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='72'

[27] => SELECT productId, name, cat_name, CubeCart_inventory.cat_id, cat_father_id FROM CubeCart_inventory 

INNER JOIN CubeCart_category ON CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = CubeCart_category.cat_id WHERE productId='70'

)

Okay so the differences are:

Problem user's debug:

$_COOKIE Variables:

Array

(

[PHPSESSID] => 067036a2636868ca69695116439dd859

[ccUser] =>

)

Working user's debug

$_COOKIE Variables:

Array

(

[PHPSESSID] => 11c4f77ee1fe1cd234379965f1cac110

)

Problem user's debug:

No Data!

Working user's debug

Array

([conts] => Array

[53:] => Array

[quantity] => 1

Problem user's debug

Array

[sessId] => adeb2b20934e025178ebdc79359b48ac

[basket] =>

Working user's debug

Array

(

[sessId] => 00ff641accb2d5754eaba3e2bdb07000

[basket] => a:6:{s:5:"conts";a:1:{s:3:"53:";a:1

A few differences there, no basket variables and missing ccUser data. Is there anybody out there who can interpret these results?

Thanks again everyone for looking at this.

Best wishes,

Phil.

I missed the CC version? What kind of product in basket?

Umm branded IE (AOL) detected :angry: This is always a pain supposing only AOL browsers/users do have such issue.

Only View Bakset does such mess?

@burgensteen could you tell me what is the URL once redirected to a basket page? It should helps us Jon :D

Dear Convict,

Hello...

I missed the CC version?

What kind of product in basket?

Physical product.

Umm branded IE (AOL) detected :angry: This is always a pain supposing only AOL browsers do have such issue.

I apologise but I do not understand your comment. How was branded IE AOL deteced? Do you mean in reference to burgensteen?

Only View Bakset does such mess?

No, 'view basket' works and shows the basket contents. It is only when certain customers then click 'checkout' that the basket contents are cleared.

Thanks for taking a look convict.

Best wishes,

Phil

What about to upgrade to latest 4.1.1? There are some fixes to checkout applied and the upgrade is recommended.

If something does not work for few customers and not replicable to majority an you opened this 'case' here please try to investigate to customers having this issue:

browser/operating system type and versions

locality, IP addresses and ISP customers are coming from

Please send me any result using PM thank you.

Well there could be some issue to IP address related because of AOL :angry: PM sent.

Edited by convict

This is very, very exciting news. This issue has been the bane of my existence for months.

I will perform some tests with customers who have had the problem and let everyone know the final outcome.

Burgensteen's success though is heartening and most likely this issue is now resolved.

Thank you to all involved with this issue, you help is greatly appreciated.

I'll report back within 48 hours.

Best wishes,

Phil.

Okay everyone, I have tested this today with two other customers and they can now order with no problems.

I don't believe this issue is exclusive to AOL customers though, however the fix works for other service providers. I assume because the issue with the IP address changing is the same.

Problem resolved. Well done to all involved and especially to burgensteen and convict. I am impressed with the level of help this forum provided. Convict has related this issue to the development team.

Thanks Milos!! He has reported this to me in detail.

Yes, I did.

Out of interest in debug mode does the following value change?

[ip] => 86.10.97.73

That IP was from a working customer, it was burgensteen's debug output that would have changed. However debug mode is now off as the store is live. Also since changes have now been made to resolve the issue there might not be a change. However, now that we know the cause Al, you could replicate it. :D

Thanks again everyone and best wishes,

Phil.

Guest z28melissa

I've had this issue with about 3 people in the past month as well. I'm on v4.1.1.1. The last person said they tried using both IE and Firefox to place the order with no luck. I contacted support last night and they were at a loss, said it had to be a problem on the client's end.

So, what ended up being the fix? Or is it still up in the air? And who is Milo?

Dear z28melissa,

The fix ended up being some code change, done by convict (aka Milos). Apparently the developers know about this issue and are working out a fix or a change release for the next update.

Estelle has posted her own version of the fix here:

http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index....showtopic=32026

It is post # 8.

As there is a fix, I would say that the problem is not solely on the client's end.

Best wishes,

Phil.

Guest z28melissa

Dear z28melissa,

The fix ended up being some code change, done by convict (aka Milos). Apparently the developers know about this issue and are working out a fix or a change release for the next update.

Estelle has posted her own version of the fix here:

http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index....showtopic=32026

It is post # 8.

As there is a fix, I would say that the problem is not solely on the client's end.

Best wishes,

Phil.

Thanks so much Phil. I think I'll chill until they come out with an update, as I have other issues as well that are supposedly also going to be fixed in the next update. We'll see! :P