Do I need any licenses to sell products online?

Hey everyone. I LOVE Cubecart and how easy it is to use, and I recently installed it on my website storage-place.com. On my site I sell software and graphics for web sites, however I am unsure if I need some sort of license to run my site or not. I looked around online but no site could really give me a good answer. I currently have my store turned off because I want to make sure what I'm doing is legal. I live in Virginia in the United States, I'm sure the rules for these kinds of matters differ from place to place. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

storage,

As far as you can see on the CubeCart Home Page...

"...How much does it cost?

To edit or remove copyright we charge $59.95per domain and you will be issued with a License Key. [ More Information ]

CubeCart can be used at no cost if this information is NOT modified or removed. [ License Agreement ]..."

You can use CubeCart without purchasing a license, however, please make sure you don't remove the copyright info shown at the bottom of the site, otherwise you should be acting illegally !

In other hand, and concerning Virginia's laws, you may need to verify the applicable taxes & Laws for selling products "online" within the territory of the US (Virginia in particular)... which are out of my scope.

Rgds,

Sergio

I don't think he meant that sort of license.

I also live in Virginia.

If you are going to be selling purely digital goods, and are not expecting a bevvy of UPS trucks to be constantly pulling in and out of your driveway, thereby alerting neighbors (or annoying) them that you are conducting a business from home, there are no steps you need to take to sell online.

If you wish to trade with a business name, it is beneficial, but not required, to obtain a Business License from your local chamber of commerce.

The UPS truck thing, is that in some instances, most usually where you are selling physical goods, you may need to apply for a zoning variance. That is something you would need to take up, also with your local chamber of commerce.

The best thing to do, without letting on who you are, is to ask at your local Chamber about the rules. Usually, there is nothing you need to do, unless your situation falls under that which I described above. The reason I say "without letting on who you are" is that local chambers are notorious for trying ANYTHING they can hit you with in terms of licenses and their associated fees if they hear you are running a business from home. If you don't NEED a license or permit...they'll invent one just for you. heh!

HTH

On another note, i am in the UK, but i am surethat if you are going to be making profits from your business, just enquire how this will affect your income tax again, stick with twisted and keep them on a need to know basis (need to know f*ck all usually)

Paul

keep them on a need to know basis (need to know f*ck all usually)

hahaha....i see they don't do things much differently on the other side of the Atlantic either.

:)

Guest dudestore

Eh.. i hate those sh*t about tax forms and licenses to run business. Althought I had run a store without license from the state to be legal. Now that I'm starting a legal online business store (http://paintballware.com), i might as well apply a license (required - by nj state law or whatever... stupid).

I know nothing about business or any sort of license or tax forms. Also I'm just a regular guy living in a apartment and in the 1st yr of college.