Installing CC4 with Host ?

Hi,

I just signed up with a Host and went to install CubeCart using Fantastico but I don't see a way to pick what version. Is it normal for them to only offer one version? I would like CC4 and I hope I don't have to do it manually. I'm waiting to hear from them but, wanted to see what you all thought.

Also when I do install it, do you recommend putting it in the root directory or in a folder on the database.

Thanks for any help!

EH

You cant choose which version. It will give you the version it has and nothing more !!

I dont believe you will get V4 from fantastico anyway. Cubecart has moved away from this in its new versons and a manual install is all you can do now.

Its personal choice where you put your store but IMO I would always use the root if its available. I have moved so many sites for clients where they have put their store in a sub directory only to find later that they would prefer it in the root.

(Just my opinion).

Guest Brivtech

Considering the additional cost of CC4, I would be surprised if you were getting it included by your host unless you were paying a lot for the hosting.

I was afraid of that, I thought I did my research too, but didn't think of that. OK, this is all new to me so the $30. to have CC4 installed is looking good. Would any of you know what is needed from me (or my host) to have CC4 installed.

Also, I just did some reading that CC4.2 requires PHP5.2 All my host offers at this time is PHP5. I guess I would be stuck with CC4.1 till the host upgrades. Is that correct?

Thanks for the help guys, this forum is a great help.

EH

Guest Brivtech

I was afraid of that, I thought I did my research too, but didn't think of that. OK, this is all new to me so the $30. to have CC4 installed is looking good. Would any of you know what is needed from me (or my host) to have CC4 installed.

You will need FTP access, and access to the mySQL database.

Also, I just did some reading that CC4.2 requires PHP5.2 All my host offers at this time is PHP5. I guess I would be stuck with CC4.1 till the host upgrades. Is that correct?

This is correct, although when they say they offer php5, it is possible that the sub-version could already be 5.2 - Double check with the host. CC4.1 will still be supported with security updates and the occasional feature update.