Gift Certificate Help Please

Guest Afishcalledwanda

Guest Afishcalledwanda

Hi I just installed the trial version of CubeCart v 4 and am totally enjoying it.

I got my whole shop skinned to custom with the exception of a couple of color tweaks, and items set up to sell all in one day - just a couple more tweaks and stuff to go, but I'm at a brick wall now.

I do NOT understand the Gift Certificates at all!

Yes, they seem very easy to set up in the Admin panel.

SO, I went and bought one for myself. I got the email saying I paid for something through PayPal. Great.

Problem: There is no redemption code in the email that I can tell!

Now I can see some kind of coupon in the Admin > catalog > coupons

It's got a green "go" dot there. There is a long code, the price etc. I have an option to edit this code by telling it how many times it can be used etc.

Am I supposed to email this to the customer who purchased it or something? If so HOW?

Is there any way to make GC's so people can go to a download page and print out a coded piece of paper/image?

Is there some kind of "Dummies" tutorial for the cart? Gift Certificates in particular.

I searched the main site's knowledge base but it's really skimpy.

I spent most of today looking on here, no joy.

I really want to purchase the license for this but I need to play with the trial more and know that it will do everything I need it to do.

I'm already a little disappointed on the paypal bit, but I can probably live with that. Right now I've only got three items in my shop, I make custom leashes and bridle reins but I hope to expand soon.

Are there features that don't come with the trial? From what I can tell it's fully loaded. It says that the admin panel will become disabled in 30 days is all if I dont' purchase.

Guest JodieR

Okay... I've just been trying to test this out for you....

I used the manual payment method (as I was sure you were unable to test these sort of things - making payments to yourself via paypal? I don't think paypal allows you to pay yourself).

So... The green icon indicates that it is a gift certificate (and not a coupon - which will also show in that area), and that area lets you know if it's been used and how many times.

Once you have changed the initial order to ORDER COMPLETE/ DISPATCHED the recipient of the gift voucher will then receive an email notifying them that they have received a voucher from Jo Blogs and the code is included in their email.

I'm thinking maybe you might have gotten a little confused with the emails as you (as the giver) will get emails notifying you of the process - your sale/order. These will not include the gift code as you are not the recipient of the code - the person you sent it to is.

The gift recipient only gets one email (and only after YOU/ADMIN has changed the order status to completed).

ARGH.. hope that makes sense and is not too confusing for you. :)

Guest Afishcalledwanda

Okay... I've just been trying to test this out for you....

I used the manual payment method (as I was sure you were unable to test these sort of things - making payments to yourself via paypal? I don't think paypal allows you to pay yourself).

So... The green icon indicates that it is a gift certificate (and not a coupon - which will also show in that area), and that area lets you know if it's been used and how many times.

Once you have changed the initial order to ORDER COMPLETE/ DISPATCHED the recipient of the gift voucher will then receive an email notifying them that they have received a voucher from Jo Blogs and the code is included in their email.

I'm thinking maybe you might have gotten a little confused with the emails as you (as the giver) will get emails notifying you of the process - your sale/order. These will not include the gift code as you are not the recipient of the code - the person you sent it to is.

The gift recipient only gets one email (and only after YOU/ADMIN has changed the order status to completed).

ARGH.. hope that makes sense and is not too confusing for you. :)

Thank you Jodi!

Hopefully I got this to work thanks to you. I am waiting on the email to come to me now. I got a feeling I'm not going to get it though... stupid Comcast seems to hate my server.

Anyway, yes you explained easily and clearly! And I am able to send money to myself because I used a different email and not used my paypal account to pay :D

Yes the notification was in my email that I did make a sale. Good.

SO I clicked that link.... took me to admin area and there is the area to make the order completed.

I checked the tickbox for Ship Today and hit edit order.

SO, now I wait till the email - if it ever does - come through.

Did I do the right steps?

I do wish it generated an easy instant gc code though. Would make one less thing for me to do daily!

I am loving this cart though!

Guest JodieR

ahhhhh good, glad you could understand it.

Now, you do have to physically change the STATUS - it will read either pending, or processing at the moment. There's a drop down arrow on the edge of the field, click on that to see that other STATUS's you can use. When you change it to "order complete & Dispatched" THEN... the email with the gift cert. code will be sent to the recipient. :D

If you want to run a promotion, you can create your own code via the coupon function. Distribute that code to people and they'll be able to either get a percentage discount or $$$ discount (whatever you set it for). So that might be another option for you to try out. NB: you must click on apply changes when using any coupon/gc code or it doesn't register (I made that mistake a few times :) )

A gift cretificate is more for someone else to buy a friend a pressie (gc)

Guest Afishcalledwanda

Unfortunately I still didn't get the email. I got a feeling it got lost in space because I used my Comcast email for the payment and for the membership to the cart.

Now, if this email does not come through, can I resend the gc again from that page? I mean if I change the customer email and hit send again. Will it go through?

OH and do I have to input the 'customer' info in all those empty fields to make the email go through or does it default to the user due to the order # being there? I'm thinking it defaults.

I'll be calling my server about this nonsense with Comcast if that's my problem. There could be trouble for others in the future this way.

Guest Afishcalledwanda

Yep! Made sure to have that set to complete and dispatched first thing.

I've had Comcast block my email on my forums on this host too. So, it could very well be Comcast and I will have the server 'fiddle' with whatever they do to ge it working.

I gotta give it some more time, the gc purchase notifications didn't come for a couple hours and that went to yahoo. So who knows.

Guest Afishcalledwanda

Thanks Jodi! You've been a huge help! :)

What about 'resending' if there's a problem? Can it be done? If not, what would be the best solution? Send a coupon for the same amount to replace the lost GC?

Once I'm done tweaking the look, you can check out the shop in the 'show off' forums!

Guest JodieR

i'm not sure on that one I'm afraid. Post a link in here for your thread or pm it to me... as I dont usually go looking in there much lol

Guest Afishcalledwanda

Ok I'm still having problems with this.

I bought myself another gc. I used my yahoo addy this time. I get the email to my Shopkeeper addy on yahoo telling me I have a sale of a gc. Got a link to the admin panel so I can get the email out to the customer.

I go thru the steps.

It's now two days and NO email to my 'customer' addy and this time I used yahoo.

I'm not getting any mail to my Comcast email.

I posted a sendmail problem topic in this forum too but I think I have two issues going on at the same time.

I REALLY want to purchase a full license of CubeCart but I just can't until I know all the features and functions are working and I know how to use them! And I would like to launch my shop too.

Anyone have any ideas? Jodi helped me and the steps are NOT so difficult that I missed anything. I know its correct because the shopkeeper is getting notified of a sale.

I've spent the whole weekend browsing all the cubecart docs, (not much help there) and the cubecart.org site too (again not much help in there).

Im not entitled to support due to the fact I have a trial version for now. So, I'm kind of hoping someone here will have the answers.

I gotta be missing something but what?

Guest JodieR

okay... there's good news and there's bad news....

I registered on your site, and I received a confirmation email no worries.

the bad news....

I'll PM you... because I'm not sure if you wanted your site information in here? I will leave it up to you if you want to repost the error message I received when trying to make a purchase with your cart.

Guest Afishcalledwanda

Wow Jodi I havent' seen any such thing with this when testing shopping at all myself with my own account.

I might make up a fake account and see how it goes.

I do know yesterday I was having issues with my site server keeping the stupid site up and running too. They have a few sites on the server they have me on that are abusing bandwidth and everyone else keeps getting knocked off. They're trying to cheat by not purchasing dedicated hosting.

Maybe you caught that in the middle of all that commotion? I went down twice yesterday... don't ask me the times.... i forget!

I'm going to grab some coffee... then go look at the cart. Join up in a fake name too. I slept in today and am still a little foggy here.

Thanks for putting that in a pm.

Let's see if you get the reply mail.... I did get a purchase of a gc but in MY name for $5. I never purchased a gc yesterday. I got nothing about you purchasing one. Lemme go look and come back.

Guest Afishcalledwanda

Jodi, you're in there.

Did you purchase any gc? If you did, it shows nothing.

I now have a whole bunch of gc's I purchased and no code sent from the cart. Either I am supposed to put the code in the email to the customer or the cart is supposed to generate a code for me. Which it obviously does not do.

It never sends "here's your gc" emails out either and the customer has no way of knowing they got one.

I'm thinking I have a combo server/cart issue as NOTHING is still going to my comcast addy when someone uses that. Emails are coming in the next day or much, much later in the day.

I've got the 4.2.0 trial in and today there is an upgrade to 4.2.1.

The templates are so easy to tweak. I got them saved anyway. So I think I might just wipe out the whole cart installation, clean out the db and start fresh. No bother to upgrade. This way I have nothing in there that could cause the problem. I've got no real customers and haven't made a sale yet, so this might be the best way to go. I've go nothing to lose right?

Maybe the upgrade will fix things?

Who knows. You definately ran into a server glitch from yesterday. I joined with a fake persons name, email and all that and it went flawlessly.

Guest Afishcalledwanda

:dizzy: We got it working! ;)

There were a ton of contradicting issues involved and I must say even though I am not qualified for tech support that the cubecart support team has been WONDERFUL in helping me sort this issue out!

They spent 3 days trying to figure out the issue. It's a cross between my server and me.

I cannot begin to let you all know what wonderful people the techies are in the cubecart organization!

I hope to put a tutorial out on gift certificates for this as appreciation for their tireless efforts.

• 2 months later...

:yeahhh: We got it working! :yeahhh:

There were a ton of contradicting issues involved and I must say even though I am not qualified for tech support that the cubecart support team has been WONDERFUL in helping me sort this issue out!

They spent 3 days trying to figure out the issue. It's a cross between my server and me.

I cannot begin to let you all know what wonderful people the techies are in the cubecart organization!

I hope to put a tutorial out on gift certificates for this as appreciation for their tireless efforts.

I have 4.2.0 installed - will be upgrading soon.

Does 4.2.2 fix this problem.??

I too just tested and did not received a gift card code

have you posted a tutorial fix for this?

thank you!