Cubecart to Oscommerce conversion help!

Guest support@cryweb.com

Hello!

I've finally decided to move my shops to oscommerce due to problem with 2000 categories in cubecart. I simply can't work anymore in cubecart because it won't load so much categories and I'm tired of using phpmyadmin for adding or editing products and categories.

So, anyone got an idea of how to convert cubecart database to oscommerce? is there any mod?

Thanks

Guest Brivtech

You obviously didn't read my last post with a solution to your problem then.

http://forums.cubecart.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=148962

Such a converter would require a third party modification, as it is not part of the cubecart core. If you require such a thing, you will need to ask at oscommerce or cubecartforums.org - It certainly would not be supported in this forum.

I understand how frustrating it can be having something that is not working the way you want, but posting something like this isn't going to resolve your problem. Onthe other hand, dragging our the misery isn't productive either, and you need to do what you feel is best. You are not being forced to use one package over another. The choice is entirely yours.

2000 Categories - phew! I'm on ~300 for a store I'm working on.

Before you go too far down that route - will OSC be better? I'm not experienced in OSC, so can't answer that.

You would be better off asking in an OSC forum if there is a CC>OSC conversion tool as that is your target platform.

If you get no joy, you should be able to to a CSV export of the category tables in both carts, remap the field data, and import as csv for OSC. That should get you pretty close..

If you're sure OSC will be fine, its probably worth paying someone to do the conversion for you (more so if you want to bring over customers/orders etc)

Jason

edit:

Just read the history on the link.

It sounds like you need some kind of AJAX based category selector in the admin>add product page. Not sure how many levels you have, but [top level] [2nd level] [3rd level] would probably help.

Unless OSC has a different system of assigning categories to products, you'll also have the same problem there.

Jason

You obviously didn't read my last post with a solution to your problem then.

http://forums.cubecart.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=148962

Such a converter would require a third party modification, as it is not part of the cubecart core. If you require such a thing, you will need to ask at oscommerce or cubecartforums.org - It certainly would not be supported in this forum.

I understand how frustrating it can be having something that is not working the way you want, but posting something like this isn't going to resolve your problem. Onthe other hand, dragging our the misery isn't productive either, and you need to do what you feel is best. You are not being forced to use one package over another. The choice is entirely yours.

Now I'm much more sure that oscommerce is a much better choice than cubecart. I found an old conversion tool, modified it and converted all my 2100 categories to oscommerce.

Believe it or not, but oscommerce is working perfectly with all my categories. Drop down menu in admin panel of oscommerce is able to load all that categories fast and without any problem. Just tell me again that it's not possible:)

Now I only ask myself a question what for I was using cubecart all these years.. paid for copyrigth removal, tax mods and many other mods when everything comes by default with oscommerce. Not to mention that all other special mods are free for oscommerce and software itself free.

Paying for license + copyright removal and working through phpmyadmin is a rip-off! The only advantage of cubecart is simple admin panel but minuses are so big that it's better to spend some time with oscommerce admin panel than later using phpmyadmin(advised by cubecart)

2000 Categories - phew! I'm on ~300 for a store I'm working on.

Before you go too far down that route - will OSC be better? I'm not experienced in OSC, so can't answer that.

Jason

I was also happy with cubecart until 1000-1200 categories. All my categories are already in osc and working perfect, just for those who plan to enlarge their stocks and have more products with categories.. think now, later it'll be more painful.

Guest Brivtech

I found an old conversion tool, modified it and converted all my 2100 categories to oscommerce.

"A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do"

I certainly would have considered switching if I was faced with the same problem as you, and the way you were having to administrate it was really not acceptable.

I'm glad its working for you now. Like I said, no-one is twisting your arm over what you use - What works for one person may not necessarily work for another - This is why people move from one system to another to best suit their needs. There's been plenty of stories here of people coming from OScommerce to CubeCart. I'm sure it's happening with all different carts, people switching from one to the other to best suit their needs.

Personally, I'm wondering why you have 2000+ categories on one store? In my experience, its better to have multiple niche stores than that many categories. You get a far better reach and traffic with multi sites linked together each aimed at a niche market.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Sparkyszone

If you still face the problem check cart2cart in google - they are good with data migration

Better still, there is a totally FREE conversion tool on cubecartforums.org

:unsure:

Yeah, where??? Ive been looking for one too to move a cubecart to os commerce. I found a script that does this, but I am having no luck getting it to work.

Yeah, where??? Ive been looking for one too to move a cubecart to os commerce. I found a script that does this, but I am having no luck getting it to work.

Please ask the developer directly for support, or ask over at CubeCartforums.org for advice.

This forum is to support the unmodified product only.