Uploading images deleting other images

Guest Klutzys

So you are Mike who works at, or does not work at, Bluehost? Are you saying you do not have God-like omnipotence over the server in question?

I was going to ask you to check with your other technicians to see if any other customer had called to complain that there seems to be an epidemic of files APPEARING out of nowhere. Maybe there are two accounts at Bluehost that are inadvertently sharing the same very small portion of hard drive space.

I don't suppose you can initiate a global search across the entire server looking for a wayward jpg file?

I work at bluehost, but I'm a level 1 tech, which means I don't have root access. I did speak with a level 2 and they suggested there's some manner of script causing the issue, although I can't find any.

And while I did look around, there's no record of files appearing out of nowhere, but I find it unlikely that this is the case as we still have many GB available on that particular server. We just passed 80% utilization on that server a few days or so ago, and should still have around 150 or so GB available. Since it's shared hosting, I'd think there'd be more files moving around than just from within 1 subaccount under another domain.

Guest Klutzys

So you are Mike who works at, or does not work at, Bluehost? Are you saying you do not have God-like omnipotence over the server in question?

I was going to ask you to check with your other technicians to see if any other customer had called to complain that there seems to be an epidemic of files APPEARING out of nowhere. Maybe there are two accounts at Bluehost that are inadvertently sharing the same very small portion of hard drive space.

I don't suppose you can initiate a global search across the entire server looking for a wayward jpg file?

I work at bluehost, but I'm a level 1 tech, which means I don't have root access. I did speak with a level 2 and they suggested there's some manner of script causing the issue, although I can't find any.

And while I did look around, there's no record of files appearing out of nowhere, but I find it unlikely that this is the case as we still have many GB available on that particular server. We just passed 80% utilization on that server a few days or so ago, and should still have around 150 or so GB available. Since it's shared hosting, I'd think there'd be more files moving around than just from within 1 subaccount under another domain.

Okay now this problem has taken on SERIOUS tones. My images are now disappearing from my main store. I need this resolved ASAP. I cannot continue to work with something that is NOT working.

I have been working and uploading images all day long with Image manager and I've been in Cube Cart on and off all day and it SUDDENLY started deleting pictures at 10:18pm Central Time. I have not been using FTP at all.

Now I KNOW there is a serious problem with my account whether it is BlueHost or CubeCart causing the problems I don't know but I need help quick!!

Tammy

Guest Klutzys

Okay now this problem has taken on SERIOUS tones. My images are now disappearing from my main store. I need this resolved ASAP. I cannot continue to work with something that is NOT working.

I have been working and uploading images all day long with Image manager and I've been in Cube Cart on and off all day and it SUDDENLY started deleting pictures at 10:18pm Central Time. I have not been using FTP at all.

Now I KNOW there is a serious problem with my account whether it is BlueHost or CubeCart causing the problems I don't know but I need help quick!!

Tammy

Follow-up on the help Mike at BH is giving me:

MIKE: Ok. So here's what I've done thus far: I have found 3 other accounts on

the same box as you, and have uploaded a batch of 20 photos to, plus a file

explaining what's going on. I'll leave them there overnight. I don't work

tomorrow and have a few meetings to attend to early on. I can remove look

at the files after that, which should be about 10:45 my time in Utah. I

will be uploading files to the install of OS Commerce I placed in a

separate folder under your jttenterprise domain (just in case I clicked the

wrong button I wouldn't break anything serious) I'll leave the files there

overnight, don't access them until morning. As I did sunday and early

monday I will be accessing the information from home, so I can have you

access the files and move stuff around a bit to see if files start

vanishing. This should narrow things down a bit more. If it turns out to

be some glitch with cubecart you might have to learn something else, or

continue work with the developer.

If those files on those 3 test accounts don't go anywhere, it's not the

server, meaning it's something specific to your account.

Any thoughts bsmither??

Tammy

I placed a batch of 20 images (all the same file, with a README file explaining what the files are to anyone that accidentally stumbled across it since it's an active customer account on the same server Tammy is on.) I just now went through all 3 accounts, and the 3 accounts all still had their images in them, plus the README file. This means it's something specific to your account.

The install of OS Commerce I made still has its images in it as well. If I could have you browse it now to see if it's the account or your computer causing it, or even something specific to CubeCart. You can access it by going to jttenterprise.com/commerce/admin. The username is admin and the password is admin. If images start disappearing for you we know it's your computer and not the software, if they don't disappear, it's something with CubeCart and you'll have to continue troubleshooting with them, or you can install Zen Cart, which will most likely be your best bet beyond further troubleshooting with them.

Guest Klutzys

I placed a batch of 20 images (all the same file, with a README file explaining what the files are to anyone that accidentally stumbled across it since it's an active customer account on the same server Tammy is on.) I just now went through all 3 accounts, and the 3 accounts all still had their images in them, plus the README file. This means it's something specific to your account.

The install of OS Commerce I made still has its images in it as well. If I could have you browse it now to see if it's the account or your computer causing it, or even something specific to CubeCart. You can access it by going to jttenterprise.com/commerce/admin. The username is admin and the password is admin. If images start disappearing for you we know it's your computer and not the software, if they don't disappear, it's something with CubeCart and you'll have to continue troubleshooting with them, or you can install Zen Cart, which will most likely be your best bet beyond further troubleshooting with them.

bsmither, if you are still watching this problem do you have any thoughts????

Well this problem was NOT resolved and here is the closing comment from bluehost:

The issue is for sure with Cube Cart, as OS

Commerce didn't have any issues. I don't think a move of servers will fix

it as it seems to be some odd bug in Cube Cart itself. I recommend either

continuing support through Cube Cart forums, or moving to ZenCart, which

seems to have far fewer issues. I installed OS Commerce because it was the

buggiest cart software I could find and wanted any possibility for the

issue to duplicate itself across carts to be available.

This issue for sure goes beyond our servers and our support into an area I

cannot continue to support. You will for sure need to pursue the issue

with CubeCart support. I do apologize that it took this long to get a

resolution to this, and I realize that it isn't an optimal solution, but we

did at least eliminate a server side issue. If you have any further

issues, feel free to contact us at helpdesk.bluehost.com or at (888)

401-4678 for 24 hour phone support. I'm going to close the ticket we've

been working on as well.

And here is my response:

I cannot afford to throw away $300 as I know CubeCart works or others wouldn't be using it. So I need to start fresh, read below! As stated before my account at bluehost had problems even BEFORE I installed CubeCart. So I want a fresh start/account.

I still want to use cubecart, but would you be able to totally wipe my account clean, move me to another sever, and let me have an account like I just purchased my domain name. Start fresh!!!!

I will then only install cubecart to my main domain for starters and if it proves to work okay (backup) and then add jttenterprise folder and cubecart. Do the process one step at a time to gauge what is working and if I have any problems I will know before getting to far.

Let me know if that's possible. I would think it should be as I am sure people have totally messed up their files on bluehost :-) and a clean slate will give me something to work with.

Tammy