license key for local test site.

Hi,

I just read through the pinned post above and many other post on license keys and I'm still not clear. I just signed up for hosting and installed a free trial of CC4.2 and all went well so I plan to buy the software. I was a little nervous about messing things up so I thought if I could play with the skins on my computer then upload if they look OK. I did a ton of reading on how to do a local install. With the help of others and a long uphill battle with my brain I was able to get everything needed installed. Then I went to set up the http:localhost/Admin and I got a error #4 about the license key.

What I'm wondering is if I purchase the software will I be able to use the same license key on my local drive? I guess with version 3 that wasn't a problem (being free) but with version 4 is there a legal way to do this?

Thanks for any info,

EH

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering the same thing, but I'd like to run my test site on the same host (just fewer variables that way - I don't like surprises!)

I would use an .htaccess file to password protect it anyways, and would either do it in a different directory on the same domain, or in a different domain, depending on licensing options.

Can I do that?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest ethicaldesign

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but we're about to evaluate CubeCart4 for developing a clients website (we've used version 3 in the past and loved it - nice unbloated software and nice clean css/xhtml for easy skinning and customisation - perfect for the startup ventures we tend to work for), and the question here is relevant to us (albeit with a slightly different slant).

The way I tend to work on websites of this nature is to maintain a working copy of the site on a linux development server on my local network, then we work on that version before rolling out updates to our clients.

It is accessible to the client via IP address from the wider internet however (it needs to be so our clients can sign off any updates we make for them as most of our clients are spread out across the country so this method of working is most convenient).

The way we work is to make any changes requested, ask the client to log into our server (accessing it via the IP address and entering a password that's setup with .htaccess for their sites folder), then after they sign off the changes before we upload to their main website and re-test.

This probably won't be so much of an issue for the initial setup for this site as we plan to use a trial version of cubecart to evaluate it then all going well get the site designed and database set up locally etc, then direct the client to cube cart to buy a license before we upload the site for them. All of this should be done during the trial period.

But it may mean in the future that we'd like the option of continuing development on that same website for them on our local sever before rolling out future updates to them (and this dev. server would be accessible from the outside through the IP address - albeit password protected).

Is this possible without the purchase of an extra license?

My second question is about development on new client websites and how this relates to the trial period. With cubecart 3 if we had a new client who was interested in a cart we had the option of working on the site for them on our test server, making sure it did everything they wanted and that cubecart definitely was the right choice for their specific needs, then when they are happy it does everything they want and happy with their site, we can direct them to buy the license then upload for them. With the 30 day limit on the license I'm not sure if this would be possible anymore (as the trial period would probably be used on this first project).

I'm in two minds about whether to go with CC4 or stick with CC3 over this issue, so if anyone could give any pointers that would be much appreciated. Our services are quite varied and we don't tend to do a great deal of ecommerce setup using cubecart yet, so if there's not the option to work on test sites on our local server in this way without buying additional licenses before the sites are rolled out each time then it could be awkward for us.

Guest ethicaldesign

Thanks for the reply EverythingWeb. I've ordered a 30 day trial license, got cubecart up and running after upgrading php and installing zend on my local server and had a quick look around and everything so far looks good and pretty familiar (at least in terms of the admin interface and templating system that I've checked so far which is the important thing for me at the moment).

My concern though is what happens after this 30 day trial is up. By that point we should have developed the site for the client, we'll have directed them to cubecart to buy a license and their site will hopefully be online and up and running.

But lets say they come back to us in a couple of months and ask that we add some additional features or make some significant modifications to their cart. By that time the trial license I've ordered for use on our development server for the initial development of their site will be expired, and really it's not an ideal situation to be making any significant changes to their online site directly at that point.

What I'd like to do is make changes to my copy of their site on our development server, have the client check them, then when everything has been tested locally to upload to their live site.

With the old version of cube cart that was no problem as we can simply maintain an unlicensed copy of their cubecart3 site on our development server, and have it always available for any additional development work.

This doesn't seem like it will be possible due to this 30 day license restriction, unless I keep reordering trial licenses every time I need to do a bit more work on any of the cubecart 4 sites that we've helped people with.

To make matters more complicated, if we continue to use and recommend cubecart4 to our clients, we could in the future potentially have several cubecart4 sites that we need to keep local copies of for development work.

Is there any way around this without asking our clients to pay for 2 licenses (one for their live site and one for our development version of their site on the server of our local network). If not we may need to start considering using cubecart 3 again for future sites or another shopping cart. Some of our clients are small business startups and on limited budgets so asking them to buy 2 licenses may be prohibitive in their cases (but otherwise cubecart would be an excellent solution as it's nice for us to work with and unbloated making it ideal for small startups).

Any ideas, or am I missing something?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi,

I have about 10 cc3 versions to upgrade to cc4.

A few months ago i installed a cc4 version on a local server, modified it and then installed it, so far no problems. Yesterday I fired up the local version and only when accessing ADMIN it gives me a "licence error" ..

With cc3 I could run local and live versions of each store using a single licence, I'm sure that the same would be true for cc4. How can make my local version work again ?

Many Thanks,

ChrisColeman.

## Problem solved, cubecart support added localhost to my domain access list, must have got removed somehow.

Thanks, ChrisColeman.