Is Cube Cart a good solution for just one product?

Guest maiagood

Guest maiagood

I am trying to decide what cart to use for a site for a client who has one product (a book) for sale. If the client wanted just a buy now button and the more common payments, it would be easy to decide. However, there are complicating requirements.

This one product will be sold both at my client's site and on Amazon, with Amazon doing all the order fulfillment. I will have to code using the Amazon Fulfillment Web Services API. So, my question is really two:

1. Is Cube Cart OK for just one product?

2. Can Cube Cart be extended with php, javascript to add features?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with cubecart for just 1 product. Just code your page in dreamweaver, fusion, frontpage or whatever. cubecart and most cart software is designed for database-driven inventory. Its not imposible to use for 1 product, but seems overkill.

It sounds like you're setting up a site to offer multiple payment options on a physical product.

As such, CubeCart MAY be a good way to offer the different payment options, although as Mysty mentioned, it's overkill. And since you're dealing with a physical product, there's no need for the download limitations that CubeCart offers. These are reasons against using CubeCart for a 1-product site.

The only reason I would suggest using CubeCart would be for the Site Docs feature and the ease of creating and coordinating multiple pages. The FCKeditior is a lot easier for some people to use than traditional web publishing software. Another reason would be the possiblity of adding future products into the mix, which will be a LOT easier with CubeCart than with a static HTML site.

This last possibility is the strongest reason to start off with a shopping cart like CubeCart. Books are great for establishing your authority on a topic (assuming it's a non-fiction topic), but they're not the most profitable products to offer. You could take the information in the book and produce audio products, workshops, seminars, and so on, which will be a lot more profitable for you.

I've seen sites use CubeCart to manage articles and other content to attract visitors, which CAN be a good marketing activity, as long as the articles inspire readers to purchase your book(s).

In the end, you'll have to think about what your future plans are, and how CubeCart will benefit those plans.

Ive designed, set up and maintained sites that only have one product with CC and found it to work very well.

The fact that you have multiple gatways, order inventory, site docs, etc makes it very flexible.

Its just a matter of getting the flow of the site right for a single product without having to drill down to get to it.

Good luck and dont forget to show it off when finished.