Search Engine Optimization in CC4?

Guest estabahn

Guest Brivtech

3 things come to mind:

- Custom meta tags for individual products and categories, so you can influence the meta keywords, description, etc. individually, rather than depending on a single global set of meta tags.

- Search Engine Friendly URLs - Instead of sometiing like index.php?_a&cat=345&prod=123, you'll see something like "Horror-DVDs/Bride-of-Frankenstein/123.html", and that's good because search engines pick up keywords from the category and product title within the URL, helping to improve the ranking score.

- Session killing - So search engines don't index areas of the site they shouldn't go to, such as the basket and registration pages.

There's a lot of different things to do to improve your rankings, and these are simply a couple of extra tools to help out more.

Nothing is better for SEO than writing good category descriptions and product descriptions, home page content and additional resource content.

CONTENT is KING

and as each page can have its own titles meta description and meta keyword list THESE should all be based off the CONTENT for the page in question

now if you dont listen

and if you dont write keyword phrase rich content

all the SEO tools in CubeCart wont help you one bit...

If you DO listen and write good content and dont stuff keywords

it wont do you a bit of good w/o getting your site some qualified, RELEVANT BACK LINKS

meta tag info does not provide search engine traffic

BACK LINKS do

1 way back links are the best from sites that are relevant to yours

And lets say you have listened and followed me up to this point

YOU WILL starve and your site will go broke

If you do not advertise in other areas!!!!!

relying on search engine traffic to make your million dollars will just put you out of business! It is but ONE method of marketing!!

put ads in newspapers, relevant magazines &

EVERY SINGLE email you send out better have a spiffy tag line and a "visit my store www.blahblah.com"

watch out for companies promising the moon for your hard earned money to get you in the top 10 rankings

99.99% of the so called SEO companies out there are total SCAMS

and even if you do all this

and you havve listened and busted your arse

and you get people visiting your site

IF the SITE isnt done professionally and induce people to TRUST and whip out their credit cards

your store will still die a horrible death...

Pay to have a custom UNIQUE skin, pay to have a professional guide you thru the pitfalls of e-commerce and SEO

you will soooo make up for it at the end with a lovely site thats easy to look at professionally done

and easy to navigate.

CubeCart is just a tool and like fire which is also just a tool

in the wrong hands it can bring death to your venture

in the right hands, knowledgeable hands it can be a lovely, easy way to sell goods or services online

e-Commerce is NOT for the weak nor timid or the broke

it takes money and knowledge to do online sales properly and do it right with your customers best interests at heart

I do hope this has been helpful and terrified you utterly

good now you might listen...

Kinetic :(

Guest estabahn

Kinetic,

I'm receiving on your frequency. Thanks for your Rant of Terror!! (jk). ^ This is the best summation of everything I've ever heard about S E O and web marketing. I've printed this out and it will live on the wall above my desk so that it can be a reminder of what to be working on. Content Content content! Links links links, ads!!

I'm reading about S E O and am listen to the seo101 podcasts while I'm designing and and when driving to work. The same themes keep rising to the top. Content, links! I've done a basic competitive analysis - looking at what leaders in this market are doing well and not so well. More work to do here...

I have basic web marketing - ecommerce book that seems to be a good general guide. I also plan to pick up Do it Wrong Quickly and see what pearls of wisdom are contained therein. More work needed...

I'm working on cooking up a custom skin. (I'm a reformed css junkie and web designer i.e. ActionScript developer). I'm still figuring out the exact look I'm going for. I'll get there. The site will look very professional and appearance-wise will stand toe-to-toe with current market leaders when complete. Once I get the site together I plan to have a good S E O outfit take a look at it and see what can be improved. I'll also be writing a blog that is on-topic for the market I'm going to be in (in fact I should get started on that now... while I'm waiting to see if my domain buy attempt is going to happen or not).

I'm planning to advertise online and offline. I haven't figured out the exact details, but I have identified some sites that look like good places to advertise for this market. More work to do here also...

I'm determined to make my site a success. And I'm going to work my butt off to make it happen. I've only been at this for 2 weeks. Lots lots more to do!

Thanks very much! :(

• 3 months later...
Guest mariab

You are the first person that makes sense concerning SEO, i am in the process of going to the next step, i have done all the Optimization of my site, the last two years, mostly link building with quality links, but because this is a second job time is of the essence. Right now i cant get beyond #6 or 7 in google for certain key words and as for yahoo i am stuck on the second page #11 and 15, , do you reccommend any SEO people that do this for a living honestly. I am just tired and need some extra help.

Thanks

Maria

Nothing is better for SEO than writing good category descriptions and product descriptions, home page content and additional resource content.

CONTENT is KING

and as each page can have its own titles meta description and meta keyword list THESE should all be based off the CONTENT for the page in question

now if you dont listen

and if you dont write keyword phrase rich content

all the SEO tools in CubeCart wont help you one bit...

If you DO listen and write good content and dont stuff keywords

it wont do you a bit of good w/o getting your site some qualified, RELEVANT BACK LINKS

meta tag info does not provide search engine traffic

BACK LINKS do

1 way back links are the best from sites that are relevant to yours

And lets say you have listened and followed me up to this point

YOU WILL starve and your site will go broke

If you do not advertise in other areas!!!!!

relying on search engine traffic to make your million dollars will just put you out of business! It is but ONE method of marketing!!

put ads in newspapers, relevant magazines &

EVERY SINGLE email you send out better have a spiffy tag line and a "visit my store www.blahblah.com"

watch out for companies promising the moon for your hard earned money to get you in the top 10 rankings

99.99% of the so called SEO companies out there are total SCAMS

and even if you do all this

and you havve listened and busted your arse

and you get people visiting your site

IF the SITE isnt done professionally and induce people to TRUST and whip out their credit cards

your store will still die a horrible death...

Pay to have a custom UNIQUE skin, pay to have a professional guide you thru the pitfalls of e-commerce and SEO

you will soooo make up for it at the end with a lovely site thats easy to look at professionally done

and easy to navigate.

CubeCart is just a tool and like fire which is also just a tool

in the wrong hands it can bring death to your venture

in the right hands, knowledgeable hands it can be a lovely, easy way to sell goods or services online

e-Commerce is NOT for the weak nor timid or the broke

it takes money and knowledge to do online sales properly and do it right with your customers best interests at heart

I do hope this has been helpful and terrified you utterly

good now you might listen...

Kinetic :wacko:

• 2 years later...
Guest Tina Clarke

3 things come to mind:

- Custom meta tags for individual products and categories, so you can influence the meta keywords, description, etc. individually, rather than depending on a single global set of meta tags.

- Search Engine Friendly URLs - Instead of sometiing like index.php?_a&cat=345&prod=123, you'll see something like "Horror-DVDs/Bride-of-Frankenstein/123.html", and that's good because search engines pick up keywords from the category and product title within the URL, helping to improve the ranking score.

- Session killing - So search engines don't index areas of the site they shouldn't go to, such as the basket and registration pages.

There's a lot of different things to do to improve your rankings, and these are simply a couple of extra tools to help out more.

Brivtech ... I know this thread is quite old but you are the first one I have seen to mention that you can get a url path with hypens in it ..... have you actually managed this or was this just off the top of your head and you thought cubecart did this? Do you know of a mod that WILL do this as cubecart does not.

Brivtech ... I know this thread is quite old but you are the first one I have seen to mention that you can get a url path with hypens in it ..... have you actually managed this or was this just off the top of your head and you thought cubecart did this? Do you know of a mod that WILL do this as cubecart does not.

Standard in v4, always has been.

• 2 years later...

To Tina Clarke, and others who may be a bit confused about this, what is missing from Brivtech's and Robsta's response is the "how" . . .

CC4 includes this SEO, but it must be enabled by you in the admin General Settings screen, at the bottom of that screen. For more information on the admin operations of CC4, check out the tutorials portion of www.cubecartforums.org