Affiliate credit too early in process

This week is the big week for my site -- finally upgrading to CC4.

I just placed a couple of test orders after loading in the current Post Affiliate Pro module created by Anne and Carl. These test orders did not go through the payment process, yet I received notifications that affiliate credit had been given.

In CC3, this did not happen until the customer hit the confirmed.php page, and worked great.

I'm confused why this is different in CC4. I also need this changed before I complete the upgrade process.

Does anyone know where the code for this can be found?

Also, where can I move it so that credit is given AFTER payment is complete?

And what considerations do I need to watch for in cases when payment is completed at a later time from the order -- as in, how will I make sure the order data is available to pass to the affiliate software?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Guest DesignsDivision

I'm using the JROX affiliate integration and have the same issue. Affiliate credit is being given when the order is placed not upon order completion as it should be.

I'm using CC 4.1.1.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks in advance.

Christina

• 1 month later...
Guest DesignsDivision

FYI - there isn't a fix for this due to the many payment processors. At least it's tracking and for now I'll just have to manually approve commissions.

I also eventually decided that approving commissions manually was better than postponing the upgrade. I reported the issue in the bug tracker, and the status is still open, so I suspect that someone will get to it sometime.

To fix this, the confirmation page would have to ensure that the order details are available, and for some payment processors (like PayPal), these details would have to be retrieved from the database.

Once the release of my new book is complete, I'll take some time and investigate the options, although I feel the developers shouldn't have change it in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest go77306

Hi,

I opened a support ticket, this is the response:

Hello,

This is not a bug. Not all payment modules will return the customer to the order confirmation page. For this reason the affiliate code is put in when the order is made. This was ALL affiliate sales are logged. You just need to check each affiliate sales to make sure the payment was complete.

Unfortunately there is nothing I can suggest to change this.

So, what do you think about this response?

This week is the big week for my site -- finally upgrading to CC4.

I just placed a couple of test orders after loading in the current Post Affiliate Pro module created by Anne and Carl. These test orders did not go through the payment process, yet I received notifications that affiliate credit had been given.

In CC3, this did not happen until the customer hit the confirmed.php page, and worked great.

I'm confused why this is different in CC4. I also need this changed before I complete the upgrade process.

Does anyone know where the code for this can be found?

Also, where can I move it so that credit is given AFTER payment is complete?

And what considerations do I need to watch for in cases when payment is completed at a later time from the order -- as in, how will I make sure the order data is available to pass to the affiliate software?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

So, what do you think about this response?

I think it stinks. Every order process needs to return the customer to a confirmation page where the customer can be thanked for the order and the sale tracked accurately.

At least we should have the OPTION to track the sale before or after payment.

However, I'm starting to realize that there MAY be a different way to handle sale tracking, through the PHP code itself. The problem is that I have too many other things going at the moment and I can't devote any time to researching the idea further.

For reference, the page at http://www.affiliateproscript.com/doc/ shows how the URL for a tracking image tag (as most affiliate programs use) may be called via PHP to register the sale. This suggests that the PHP code which sets the payment status to Processing (paid) may immediately call the affiliate tracking code at that time. The only possible issue would be when the payment is made without the customer connected to the system to read the affiliate cookie from their computer.

My thinking is that there should be a way to generically record the affiliate ID with the order so it may be passed to the affiliate software. This would allow offline payments to be tracked as easily as online payments.

Beyond this, I am seeing some nice possibilities for creating a built-in affiliate system into CC so that not only is sale tracking handled correctly, but then we can also set different commissions per product. I wish I had more time. Maybe this winter.

I was told over at the CubeCartForums.org site that there's a particular free Google Analytics mod that makes all the sales data available on the confirmation page. Using this, the normal sale tracking image tag can be used on the confirmation page to track completed sales.

I've just finished installing the mod and making adjustments -- disabling the standard affiliate module and adding the image tag to the confirmed.tpl template. I'll report back later to say how this is working for me. The person who told me about this reports that it works well for him.

Guest go77306

Thanks for the update. Pelase report back what your findings.

BTW, I am going to install the free version of affiliate management, and I will give it a try.

Thanks

I was told over at the CubeCartForums.org site that there's a particular free Google Analytics mod that makes all the sales data available on the confirmation page. Using this, the normal sale tracking image tag can be used on the confirmation page to track completed sales.

I've just finished installing the mod and making adjustments -- disabling the standard affiliate module and adding the image tag to the confirmed.tpl template. I'll report back later to say how this is working for me. The person who told me about this reports that it works well for him.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about not updating this sooner.

After making the adjustments, I found that while affiliate sales were being tracked on the confirmation page, order data (totals and order numbers) were not being recorded in the affiliate software. Since I had an affiliate who just started a major mailing, I quickly switched back to the normal setup for the duration of the promotion.

I just looked over things and it seems that the Google Analytics mod pulls the data at the bottom of the page. Since the order data has been recorded perfectly in my Analytics account, my assumption at this time is that the affiliate software was not getting the data because it came earlier on the page.

I've just moved the Analytics mod code to the top of the page and reinstated the changes to verify if this will work or not.

Moving the Analytics code to the top of the global cart.tpl template file didn't help.

Now checking with the original poster of the solution to see what other edits may be involved with getting this to work.

• 1 month later...

Definitely! That's exactly how I have mine set anyways, to balance out the cases when someone selects an offline payment method.

In your Campaign Settings, simply choose Manual Approval for sales.

I never got an answer to my query about other edits, so at this point I've pretty much given up.

• 2 years later...

Has anyone ever found a solution for this? We are using jam and shareasale and both modules are having these issues.

Manual approval would be fine, except we receive thousands of affiliate transactions a month. Also the shareasale module does not allow for deleting transactions, only voiding them so it significantly reduces the statistics of our program and make it look less attractive to potential new affiliates.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This issue makes no sense.

Even if a payment module does not return to a cubecart page, cubecart is still able to send a payment confirmation email to the buyer:

Payment Received for 110808-153427-9865

Dear xxx

We would just like to inform you that payment for order number 110808-153427-9865 has cleared and you should receive your goods shortly.

Surely this means it must be possible for there also to be a comm between Cubecart and the affiliate after payment has been made?

• 9 months later...