Thumbnails could disappear

bsmither

I have created custom thumbnail images for each of my product's main images.

Then, when making some edits to my products. I discovered that the thumbnails were overwritten by freshly derived versions.

No, NO, NO!

In the code for the "product" admin page, it says:

// if image is a JPG check thumbnail doesn't exist and if not make one

If in your general settings you say you have gdGifSupport (whether you actually do or not) the code checks for JPG, JPEG, PNG, and GIF . If it's not one of these file types, leave everything alone.

But, if it is such a filetype (and when would it ever not be?), and a thumbnail currently exists, then delete it! No if's or but's!

Then create a fresh derivation from the main image. No, NO, NO!

If we have the general setting "GD Version" set to 'N/A' (=0), then the gd class returns false and no new thumbnail is produced. But your original thumbnail is still gone! (CC uses the main image but tells the browser to show it small.)

If the site administrator sets GD Version to 'N/A' - JPG's and PNG's disappear.

If the hosting administrator does not enable php's gd support, but the site admin says gd support is available - GIF's disappear. (Apparently, GIF support was removed from the GD 1.6 library but restored 2.0.28 Jul 7, 2004.)