Beat this...

Guest asafisk

Guest asafisk

Lenstore.co.uk

------------------

As you can tell I'm very happy about this build and want to show off.

Big thanks to the providers of the various Mods: Goober, CubeHelper, Convict, Estelle and of course to the CubeCart team for making all this possible.

------------------

Of course feedback, comments, suggestions and criticism all very welcome.

Guest asafisk

Hi Burgensteen,

But just check the email field in FF its not quite right !!

I think you mean the Login at the top of each page where the text escapes the white input box slightly.

If so a great spot and I'm on to it!

Thank you very much indeed,

Asa

Guest facethefuture

Really nice site mate, well done.

Is this an edit of cubecart v3 or v4?

My only suggestion would be to get the pages to validate so you can add it to css galleries, which is good for page rank juice

Can I have a link to url rewrite mod, or have you done this yourself?

Cheers

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Guest asafisk

Thanks Mark and Alan,

That extra div (making page ever so slightly invalid) must have crept in while fixing for macintosh. It's now fixed and validates to XHTML strict.

As for the flat URL structure; I re-wrote the standard htaccess file and made some modifications to the sef_uls include. Currently the htaccess needs changing whenever a new info page or category is created, but I'll be working on an automated version soon, which I intend to release as a free mod.

It annoys me a bit when I see URLs like www.website.com/category/item_5.html but www.website.com/category/ contains nothing.

It's a heavily customised v4.

Guest fashionseazon

Really nice professional looking site.

I really liked your header, but I just have never found slightly glowing buttons ( .gif) in any of the cubecart owners stores. I have no idea how to create them, any ideas?

I can see that you have headers with slight change in colours, how did you make them?

Guest asafisk

Thanks FS, glad you like it.

Are you referring to the blue navigation bar? If so I use normal HTML text with background images for the colour and rollover effect.

It's a CSS technique that uses the a:hover, a:active and a:focus pseudo classes. Background images are loaded using the background property. Eg. background: blue url(images/blueimage.gif) 0 0 repeat-x;

The trick is to move the position of the background image rather than load a new image, which means the rollover effect is instant. Eg. background: blue url(images/blueimage.gif) -20px 0 repeat-x;

Looking at your site, which is nice and minimal, I see that you already know some of this.

One of the best places to find good web design techniques is a website called "A List Apart". The other great place, indispensable in fact, is "w3schools.com".

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

I couldn't see what the above posts referred to . I think there might be a slight bug in Firefox (v3) in that the navigation bar spreads over into a new line. most of the buttons do not have a hover effect except for the last one "partner opticians" I am trying to attach a screenshot.

Are you referring to the blue navigation bar? If so I use normal HTML text with background images for the colour and rollover effect.

It's a CSS technique that uses the a:hover, a:active and a:focus pseudo classes. Background images are loaded using the background property. Eg. background: blue url(images/blueimage.gif) 0 0 repeat-x;

The trick is to move the position of the background image rather than load a new image, which means the rollover effect is instant. Eg. background: blue url(images/blueimage.gif) -20px 0 repeat-x;

Looking at your site, which is nice and minimal, I see that you already know some of this.

One of the best places to find good web design techniques is a website called "A List Apart". The other great place, indispensable in fact, is "w3schools.com".

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Guest fashionseazon

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Thank you for the advice. I will definitely try that. I have improved my site with better header now but will work on the buttons.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest asafisk

Thank you for the heads up Chris.

I've altered the CSS for a Firefox v3 issue on Mac and Linux.

I'm not sure what operating system you are using, but I hope the navigation renders on a single line for you now.

Asa

Hi Asa

I have just checked again (and cleared my cache) the issue remains. I am using Firefox v3 with Windows XP sp2.

The text just seems a little too big.

Thank you for the heads up Chris.

I've altered the CSS for a Firefox v3 issue on Mac and Linux.

I'm not sure what operating system you are using, but I hope the navigation renders on a single line for you now.

Asa

• 1 month later...

yall must be smoking crack because this site looks like 900000 other e-commerce sites out there its not unique it the same hum drum flat boring site

the only attempt at creativity was the sessions box and that was executed poorly and looks unfinished

and kinda tacked on

sad but true...

Guest Brivtech

I think that's a harsh strong, but then again, the topic title does say "Beat This" implying that it's un unbeatable site - A challenge!

I think as far as customising goes, its good looking and clean, but as our Florida friend said, there's countless other ecommerce sites out there that look samey. I agree, nothing groundbreaking, but on the other hand, credit where its due to a clean-cut design, and I'd say safe rather than boring. Ultimately, you need to install confidence into your potential customers before they will buy, and I think you achieved that.

yall must be smoking crack because this site looks like 900000 other e-commerce sites out there its not unique it the same hum drum flat boring site

the only attempt at creativity was the sessions box and that was executed poorly and looks unfinished

and kinda tacked on

sad but true...

I disagree. I think this site looks quite unique amongst the CubeCart community of sites, especially with all the features added, and it looks nothing like a CubeCart site.

Good job on the site :sourcerer:

• 8 months later...
Guest Tommy107

I was just searching through the forums for some info and found this about your site.

I have to say that this is the VERY BEST CC site I have EVER seen!!!!

May I ask what mods you used and what skin, or did you do all this yourself?

I am working on sitting up a site but I don't want the same old layout that is seen on CC sites.

Any input you have would help on how you got started.

I don't want to copy yours but every skin I see for sell all have the same old layout.

Thanks,

Tommy