Shopping cart empties at checkout - PLEASE HELP!

platedepot

I've found a bug that has the following characteristics:

- Shopping cart inconsistently empties as the customer proceeds to checkout

- Customers have both Mac and PC's (XP and Vista)

- Some customers can successfully place several orders, then have the cart empty on the next order. Others will encounter the bug on the first order

NOTES:

- I personally have been unable to reproduce the bug, but I get 1 - 2 emails a day from customers complaining of it.

- I use SSL, but I do not force it.

- I've tried using the session.php code modification suggested by user Estelle with no luck

- I notices that people refer to 'SEO Mode enabled' - but I'm not sure how to check for that. I'm not really versed in programing, I just want to sell my products.

- I know this as been discussed before, any new insights?

- I've also added this bug to the bug tracker

My store URL is LIVE and is: www.platedepot.com

Guest hennaboy

You dont have seo enabled. If you did your products/categories would be named rather than being a=viewCat

Ive found that this happens with Safari users on Mac. However they can use firefox no problem.

Also found that the same person can order from work...not from home and visa versa.....which leads me to either ISP and/or computer browser settings.

Should I have SEO enabled? (I'm not even sure what it is)

If so, how do I do that?

I had version 4.2.2 professionally installed by the folks at CubeCart, so I was expecting a properly functioning version. Is this a bug in the code, or a problem with the settings on my end?

Thanks!

Hi Estelle--

Thanks for your help - I was hoping you'd notice this post. I changed everything over to www.platedepot.com. The store works correctly on my PC (w/ XP), but it still empties the cart on my wife's Mac using Safari.

Is there any other setting that I'm missing?

MARK

Guest hennaboy

nope i dont have a solution for you .....the customers that come in on mac and can only use safari i ask them to email in the order and i bypass the cc4 system.

safari on the pc doesnt have the issue and i dont have a mac. these account for less than 1% so what can i say. Its working for 99.5% of customers and thats what matters.

Guest estelle

Mark,

Ask your wife to clear all of her browser cookies, then access the store via the "www" URL - http://www.platedepot.com

For your store is the problem arising at any time when the customer is adding items to their basket, or does it only/always occur when the customer is goes to the View Basket page?

If possible check all details (in particular domain & path) for each of the platedepot.com cookies within your wife's Safari cache. Perhaps she has multiple ccUser cookies?

Kind regards,

Estelle

Hi Estelle--

Thanks for staying with me on this. I'm working on both my PC and my wife's Mac. I've cleared her cache and cookies (I did not notice any ccUser cookies before I emptied them. I tried again to navigate to my store and place an order with no luck. I'm still getting the 'Cart Empty' message when I proceed to the first step of the checkout. Items will add to the basket correctly, and I have no problem in viewing the basket.

Also, it will not let log in as a customer on the Mac. I will enter my login name and password, and it returns me to main store page with the 'Welcome Guest' prompt. I tried several times.

Finally, I just received yet another email from a customer who was unable to check out. I've got an email back to him to see what kind of system / browser he's using. I'm assuming that he also could view his basket as he sent me a screen shot of it.

Finally, finally, I have about 20 customers who are listed in the customer database with zero orders. I'm assuming that they were able to register or log in and lost their cart somewhere in the checkout process. This latest customer fits in that mold as well.

Thanks again

MARK

Guest hennaboy

Do you have FF on the mac? if not would it be possible to try it? would be really handy if this could be narrowed down to being safari/mac related.

I tried placing an order using FF on the Mac - I get the exact same results as I did using Safari.

Although I still cannot login on the Mac, it does show me as logged in when I check the stats on the Adminstration page.

Also, I still haven't been able to confirm if the cart is working correctly on the PC side, as I've never had a problem, but some of my PC customers have.

Thanks!

MARK

Guest hennaboy

ok now this is interesting.

just been to your site.

Using vista business IE7

Now i know that i can place an order on my own site as ive done it several times testing the site.

Went to you site...add a product.....click on view basket

Your shopping cart is empty.

OK....so whats happening here then?

Clicked on register and continue shopping.

Created an account and then clicked on a product, buy, view cart

It works........... so it looks like the session is being destroyed when the view cart button is being clicked if your a guest.

Henna--

Thanks for testing it. I'm having a few customers with XP test it as well - some of whom have had problems in the past. If I can at least get Windows working, I can deal with Mac folks later.

On the whole, Cubecart's been fine, but this is a very crippling issue. Next stop, Zen Cart?

MARK

Guest hennaboy

woooooah easy now.....zen what!!

i think this should be referred over to the dev team to investigate....it has been a problematic issue that has had very little evidence making it difficult to get sorted.

i think we are getting somewhere now though

woooooah easy now.....zen what!!

i think this should be referred over to the dev team to investigate....it has been a problematic issue that has had very little evidence making it difficult to get sorted.

i think we are getting somewhere now though

I have been having this same issue since I upgraded to 4.x.x Cube Cart. Some people call me to tell me the have added things to the cart and when it was time to check out or view cart everything would be gone. Makes me wonder how many people just decided to not order because of this problem and didnt contact me. 3.x.x was flawless in this area. Hope a fix come soon.

Marv Sobolesky

www.marvsmusic.com

Guest Jennifer99

Just wanted to add I have two clients on CubeCart now complaining of this problem. I have contacted support was told that basically until I can consistently reproduce the problem (which I can't) they can't help. I have been able to reproduce it once in a while, but when I go back and try to duplicate it - it's gone - but with the customers that are calling my clients and complaining, it's happening to them every time they try to checkout. One thing I did that seems to have helped - is to force the store to use SSL throughout the whole site. Obviously this isn't ideal - but it's better than losing customers.

Guest Jennifer99

@platedpot - fyi - I AM actually consistently getting the empty cart problem on your site - I tried firefox and safari on mac - and firefox and IE7 on my windows virtual machine. Interestingly - with my clients, I can never reproduce it *every time* across the board like I can on your site. Heh. That is some seriously bad news :whistle:

Hi Jennifer99--

I tried your suggestion to force SSL throughout the entire site, and it continued to have the same ordering problems. However, when I did the opposite and removed SSL completely, the orders worked flawlessly - even on my wife's Mac using Safari.

Obviously, I don't want an unsecure site - even though the money processing is done via PayPal. I had CC4.2.2 insalled professionally by the Cubecart staff, who had access to my server control panel. There's obviously a disconnect here somewhere.

I had also opened a bug documenting this problem, but it was also rejected due to a lack of consistent reproduction - although it seem extremely consistent now.

I'll check the archive for SSL posts. In the meantime, does anyone out there have any ideas?

Thanks!

MARK

Guest estelle

@MARK and anyone who is having problems with customers losing their shopping baskets - Please try the 3 code changes to classes/session/cc_session.php that I posted here. Download the file, make a backup copy of it, apply the changes carefully, and upload the file.

@Marv - one problem at your store is that you gave out a URL of http://www.marvsmusic.com, yet your store is configured for http://marvsmusic.com (without the "www"). You need to be consistent to avoid session issues, choose whether to use "www" or not, and stick to it. Probably best to use "www" since this is how your store is listed in the Google search results, so I would recommend changing includes/global.inc.php to add the "www." to the start of $glob['storeURL']

Hi Estelle--

Thanks for the suggestion. I incorporated the changes that you suggested, however, I'm still getting the same empty cart issue. I'm even getting on my own PC now, which had never been a problem before.

I think the issue lies with the SSL settings. When I have SSL disabled, the store works perfectly, but that's not optimal.

My settings are as follows:

HTTP Root Relative Path: /

HTTP Absolute URL: http://www.platedepot.com

HTTP Root Path /home/platedep/public_html

HTTPS Root Relative Path: /public_html/

HTTPS Absolute URL: https://www.platedepot.com

HTTPS Root Path: /home/platedep/public_html

Is there anything here that looks out of place?

Thanks again

MARK

Guest hennaboy

the https root rel path should just be / (if installed at the root)

/store/ if installed as such

/shop/ if installed as such and so on

Mine is set correctly however there is still some that have the problem.....probably a cookie thing

• 1 year later...