Review link causing pages to be indexed twice

Guest PLMaster

Guest PLMaster

Google is telling me I have too many duplicate pages. Investigating I found it's because it indexes the actual page and then that page again with the review link appended. Same page but it follows to itself I guess. How can I make it not index the page as given by the review link and only index the actual page?

Rob, I appreciate the fact that you are busy, but you may want to start reading a little slower. He says the problem stems from the REVIEW link on the product page.

I'm not exactly sure on this, but I THINK you can add to the review link something like "nofollow" to discourage the search engines from indexing the contents of that specific link. If so, just add it to your viewProd.tpl file.

the dupe content stems from the fact the review/comments is coded completely wacko

why send people to another duplicate page when they want to read your products reviews?

why send them to ANOTHER duplicate of your product page when they want to submit a review

I have re written this for everyone of my clients and complained to Al, Sir WIlliam and convict

it takes some doing but I have code that could be implemented whereby

1) A product WITH reviews doesnt have them hidden but in plain site (why hide them in the first place...?)

2) when accessing the reviews/comments form it simply unhides the form using a toggle content effect and doesnt take you to a new URL with the same product content

but leaves you on the same page and uses a anchor

both of these "tweaks" stop the duplicate content nonsense that is built into the review/comments for product pages

Maybe now the developers will take notice...

because if reviews and comments generates at least 2 extra pages for the same product page any cubecart store owner will be penalized for duplicate content

Kinetic :cry:

Rob, I appreciate the fact that you are busy, but you may want to start reading a little slower. He says the problem stems from the REVIEW link on the product page.
Fair point. I missed the 'following to itself' part :blush: One tries :cry:

Google is telling me I have too many duplicate pages. Investigating I found it's because it indexes the actual page and then that page again with the review link appended. Same page but it follows to itself I guess. How can I make it not index the page as given by the review link and only index the actual page?

I have the same problem. It's a big problem!! Did you find a solution?

Regards,

Randy

Im working on a mod/hack for this and packaging it up with instructions if you have already modified

viewProd.inc.php and viewProd.tpl from other 3rd party mods

If you havent modified these two files it will be very simple to over write your files with my 2 new ones

Ill post the mod on the cubecartforums.org site and post an update here that it is available (for free)

give me a couple days as Im very busy

Kinetic

:cry:

Guest dazza100

HI

I’m having duplicate title tags for around 140 pages some from the problem with the reviews but also. The page below is showing as duplicated 3 times is this a problem?

/cat_178.html?page=1

/cat_178.html?sort_by=name&sort_order=low

/cat_178.html?sort_by=price&sort_order=low

I placed a post asking for some help with what to block with htaccess but had no reply can anyone help?

Thanks

Daz

• 4 weeks later...

@kinetic

Did you get around to doing this mod? Not trying to rush just debating on wheather to start on one myself..

You might find this useful: http://www.cubecartforums.org/index.php?sh...amp;#entry16156

It's certainly not a complete solution since the page to write a review is still on another page. However, I don't see why you couldn't use the same principal to display both the reviews and the form on the same page. You might then want to integrate some tabs to manage/hide all the content.

• 7 months later...