Sunday opt out ?

burgensteen

Hi all,

Can anyone enlighten me on Sunday opt out laws in UK.

I have just handed my sunday working notice in to my employer and have been informed by them that they will make me work more Saturdays to make up for not working Sundays !!!

Is this not discrimination as I thought no changes can be made if you opt out ??

Thoughts !! :)

Holly Molly.... Jon your post is in Google already!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strange how IE shows you posted at 7.21pm, and Firefox has you posting at 6.21pm. How odd.

I digress.... sorry. Back to your question.... I did find this and this from Business Link, but I don't think it answers your question... or does it.

If you refuse to work extra Saturdays because you don't want to work Sundays, that could be breach of contract or discrimination because you opted out of Sundays.

Probably best to visit Citizens Advice for their opinion on it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Brivtech

Strange how IE shows you posted at 7.21pm, and Firefox has you posting at 6.21pm. How odd.

Actually, hit F5 on either, and you'll see the hour difference toggle.

Guest degsey69

Hi all,

Can anyone enlighten me on Sunday opt out laws in UK.

I have just handed my sunday working notice in to my employer and have been informed by them that they will make me work more Saturdays to make up for not working Sundays !!!

Is this not discrimination as I thought no changes can be made if you opt out ??

Thoughts !! :rolleyes:

This all depends on the contract of employment that you signed with your employer, never heard of puting in a Sunday notice before?

Contact ACAS as they are the best in telling you what the law is in this instance, working extra time on Saturdays could be them helping by making up the salary loss if Sunday hourly rate is higher than Saturday, if not you could leave and claim constructive dismissal.

Degsey