Paypal Express Returns user to Checkout page

Guest candymac

Guest candymac

I am testing my CC4 store using Payal website pro in the paypal sandbox environment. All is working well, except when using paypal express ... it appears paypal reroutes the user back to checkout page (index.php?_g=co&_a=step2), instead of the confirmation page as I'd like. Enabling and changing the return URL in the paypal accounts profile seems to have no effect. My apologies if something to this effect this has been posted already! Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Guest candymac

In response to my own question ...

It turns out this is how Payment Express is supposed to work... Though it means hitting a payment button twice, so I'm a little concerned customers may return from paypal thinking they had finished the transaction, and apprehensive about hitting 'make a payment'.

I tried instead using 'direct payment only' in combination with the standard paypal module, but this led to an error on the checkout page - though I will save this for another post.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It seems PayPalPro has been somewhat abandoned for CC. I see plenty of problems with the Altcheckout module, but rarely a solution. Half international customers can never complete checkout, as they are directed back to the main page of the site, no matter the browser, cookies, or how I have sessions set. This is very frustrating for them as well as us. I have reinstalled the WPP module/folder a couple times (newest release), and this problem happens constantly. Card payments work fine, but it's the transfer from PP that is an issue.

ANY help is greatly appreciated.

Guest cube_marglar

Yea, I have the same issue. The customer is returned to a page that looks exactly like the page they saw before they went to paypal.

I wrote tech support about this and they said that it wasn't a problem that this is just how it is supposed to work.

I'm trying to find a way to add a message at the top of the screen when the user returns from paypal saying "Please verify your order and click "Make Payment" at the bottom of this page". As of yet, I haven't figured that out.

Anyone know?

Guest dreamdancer

My client who is using PayPal Pro is having issues with this as well! We are using the PayPal websites pro option (not Express). When I tested it I did notice the need to click the button on the same page after going to PayPal and it was confusing for me, but I did it so it worked.

At least half of the people trying to purchase on the site are not as brave and are not clicking on it the second time so many sales are being lost!

If this is the way it is supposed to work it must be changed! It is counter-intuitive and we must either get a different gateway besides PayPal pro or lose serious amount of business. Or have a different page come up when returning to the site, such as a confirmation page!!

Sorry, not acceptable!!!

Guest rich1231

I have had the issue open since August I think.

I was told I am the only person experiencing the PayPal Pro issue by Support.

Would they care to comment?

Guest dreamdancer

^ It seems they are not seeing it as an issue, it functions but it is really confusing especially to non-native English speakers. They think the order is complete because they come back to the Cube Cart, but the payment isn't completed, the order goes through but they get a message saying it needs to be paid for!!! Very confusing and my client is quite upset!

Guest cube_marglar

Yep, this is exactly my experience too. The page the customer comes back to from paypal looks just like the page they left to go to paypal.

I pulled paypal express completely off my site because I was loosing too many sales.

Guest dreamdancer

^ I am not using PayPal Express and we are still having a problem, could you please tell me how you configured your PayPal pro so it works. Thanks!

Guest karl800

It seems like cubecart staff don't look at these forums,

I guess each one o us should repoort it as a bug. OR rport it someway that they can find a way on how to simplyfy this for the customer.

As i'm also currently loosing 50% of customers..

Is there away of disabling cubecart button, or alternative button, but still use the paypal pro credit card transactions..

Guest cube_marglar

It seems like cubecart staff don't look at these forums,

I guess each one o us should repoort it as a bug. OR rport it someway that they can find a way on how to simplyfy this for the customer.

As i'm also currently loosing 50% of customers..

Is there away of disabling cubecart button, or alternative button, but still use the paypal pro credit card transactions..

I did two things to achieve this:

1. I changed to paypal direct payment which removes "Paypal" from the page where you choose your payment processor.

2. I removed the alternate checkout code from the cart.php template file so that the user won't see it when they are preparing to check out. It works really smooth now. You can see it at http://restrictedknowledge.com if you like.

Guest dreamdancer

Yea, I have the same issue. The customer is returned to a page that looks exactly like the page they saw before they went to paypal.

I wrote tech support about this and they said that it wasn't a problem that this is just how it is supposed to work.

I'm trying to find a way to add a message at the top of the screen when the user returns from paypal saying "Please verify your order and click "Make Payment" at the bottom of this page". As of yet, I haven't figured that out.

Anyone know?

Well, it ended up that my client didn't want to change the PayPal module to direct pay but instead wanted to have clear instructions on the check out page where people chose their method of payment. So that is where we put the instructions on what to do after PayPal returns them to the cart.

To find it ... in the Admin control panel go to Languages (under Modules) then click on EN then Front End Phrases then Content. Then you select Payment Pages Phrases about the 13th box is called choose_method this is where you can change the message that people see before they choose PayPal or the CC method.

Guest dreamdancer

2. I removed the alternate checkout code from the cart.php template file so that the user won't see it when they are preparing to check out. It works really smooth now. You can see it at http://restrictedknowledge.com if you like.

Very clean and very nice looking cart system! Bravo! And thanks for all of the suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...

Having the same issue - something needs to be done about this as it is turning customers away!

The whole point of paypal is that it is supposed to be quick and easy - this is just confusing!

Has anyone worked a fix? - even directing the users back to a page that looks different to the same one they left would be a big help.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tetsugaku-San

I have just chaged my client over from Worldpay to Paypal - Website Payments Pro and have had exactly this issue - I can't believe how it's supposed to go!! Support have said:

The PayPal button at the bottom of page is for the login to PayPal used not for payment. Once customer is logged in at it is redirected back to the STEP 2 checkout to change shipping, apply coupons etc. and complete payment. This is way how it works however customer is not forced to use this way but standard one to register-login at your store directly.

I don't think this is of any use at all - Users expect to login to paypal, hit a pay button, and then be redirected back to the original shop where it displays a confimed message, not follow the method you have described.

The current method does not make any sense and leads to people abandoning their shopiing carts - why would they want to change the number of items or the shipping address after they have already decided them?

Is this behavior fixed? Are there plans to improve it? Are there any steps I can take to improve it myself?

Cheers

all!

Hello,

This is indeed the first time I have seen this post. A customer in the support helpdesk just bought my attention to it. We struggle to find the time to get involved in the forums as we have to dedicate our time to support tickets and product development.

The Express Checkout facility has been integrated to PayPals exact specification and we have to meet these in order to be a certified partner. The process should work as follows:

1. Customer clicks express checkout button

2. Customer is transferred to PayPal to authenticate and authorize payment

3. Customer is sent back to the CubeCart final checkout page where it is now possible to calculate shipping/tax as the customer is known

4. Customer clicks make payment, the order is then completed and card is charged

What many of you have failed to notice is that the customer is completely anonymous when they click the "Express Checkkout" button. For this reason it is mandatory for the customer to be bough back to the final checkout page to confirm tax and shipping values and the grand total.

I hope this clarifies the situation. If your store does not behave in the way outlined above please contact support for advice.

Guest cube_marglar

Yes, most of us understand this.

The problem is that when a user is returned from paypal back to the site, it isn't clear that they have more to do. Many customers see a page that looks (to them) exactly like the page that sent them to paypal so they get confused and think that they are done.

A big notice at the top of the page that says "Please confirm your order below" or something like that would really help. I lost a LOT of sales because confused customers felt that the process was finished when they left paypal.

How can we add a big notice like this, so that it isn't so confusing? And, it IS confusing as many here will agree with.

I have to agree. When we next meet with PayPal I will discuss this. It shouldn't be too hard to do.

On return to the cart page there should be a specific session variable present. The same one that changes the "Continue" or "Place Order" button to "Make Payment". It could be used to get the xtemplate class to assign/parse HTML into the page where you want it.

Yes, most of us understand this.

The problem is that when a user is returned from paypal back to the site, it isn't clear that they have more to do. Many customers see a page that looks (to them) exactly like the page that sent them to paypal so they get confused and think that they are done.

A big notice at the top of the page that says "Please confirm your order below" or something like that would really help. I lost a LOT of sales because confused customers felt that the process was finished when they left paypal.

How can we add a big notice like this, so that it isn't so confusing? And, it IS confusing as many here will agree with.

Plus, a good portion of the time, customers are just returned to the home page, at which point, many of them just get annoyed and leave the store.

(for a notice at the top of the page, try editing your language file in "front end" then "content" then "View Basket/checkout" and pick one of the fields like to alter & add "Using PayPal, please click Make Payment after your return" or whatever. You can usually use html in those boxes if needed.

Guest Tetsugaku-San

Maybe if CC spent more time looking at common issues people complain about on this forum - we'd have better code, rather than making more features maybe you could address some of the common bugs on the system, this is sure as hell a big one.

I've gone from evangelist to disdain in one easy step - mainly because of the customer services I haven't received.

Cheers all - update me if anyone thinks of a fix other than just hacking out the Alt Checkout logo! (I am about to do that)

Guest rich1231

These are customer to customer forums NOT an official support channel. If you want technical support submit a ticket to the suitable department.

Al with all due respect.

I have been experiencing Paypal issues since August when I raised my first ticket.

Nothing has been resolved, and all I ended up with was a response of no one else has the issue and upgrade to 4.3. Which wasnt even an option when the problem was first seen.

If the official support channel almost always responds with, "you have mods installed, or no one else has the issue" (when a quick look at the forums says otherwise) what else do you expect customers to do?

I think I have nearly £120k of pending orders in my database due to this issue.

Guest Tetsugaku-San

These are customer to customer forums NOT an official support channel. If you want technical support submit a ticket to the suitable department.

If you didn't charge for that support - we might be more inclined to do so.

Airing your issues in an honest and open way makes people trust you, admitting you have a problem, even if it can't be fixed, makes people trust you. I don't see any engagement from CC staff to customers.

Every time I make a decision to run a store with CC - I am sending you money and so is everyone else on this forum. You are not showing your users respect, you do not value their opinions and you disregard many issues because you state that no one else is experiencing them..

Maybe if you engaged with the community more you would be able to see these common issues that MANY people are having, see what they have done, what problems they are having etc. and then step in with an official fix, or official notification of when the fix will be rolled into the next build, along with a date for that roll out.

Well in response there is no bug here. There is just an issue that some people don't like the way it returns the customer to the basket page. That's it. If your PayPal Pro is failing please submit a ticket and we will investigate it, if it turns out to be due to a bug we'll refund the support time. You can't get fairer than that. There are no known bugs with it in CubeCart 4.3.0.

We are a small company with a vast user base and we just don't have the time or resources to actively participate on these forums. We have over a million CubeCart stores mainly using the free version. For this reasons if you have a support inquiry you will need to purchase support time. We simply can't have an open support system for those using the free version to contact us with or for our customers who have paid for CubeCart to send tickets after their support time has expired. We can't have a product with a one time fee with unlimited support time. It's not possible.

I am sure you find that this is only fair and reasonable.

Al with all due respect.

I have been experiencing Paypal issues since August when I raised my first ticket.

Nothing has been resolved, and all I ended up with was a response of no one else has the issue and upgrade to 4.3. Which wasnt even an option when the problem was first seen.

If the official support channel almost always responds with, "you have mods installed, or no one else has the issue" (when a quick look at the forums says otherwise) what else do you expect customers to do?

I think I have nearly £120k of pending orders in my database due to this issue.

We have hundreds of customers using PayPal Pro with no problems at all. You ticket has been responded to concerning this and we are still trying to help you figure out what the problem is. If you remember you were using an old version for some time. You have now upgraded and we tested your store this morning to find that it is working as it should. You then posted back to tell us that the issue was with orders outside the UK. We have told you to put the module in debug mode so that next time it happens we have transaction logs so that we can see why it is happening. Until now the logs have been turned off and we have nothing at all to work with.

I appreciated your concerns and problems and we can't bear to think of you haveing problems. We will do everything we can to help you through the official supoprt chanel as you are doing. If we find a bug in the code we will update the software package so that it is fixed in the next release.