Mod Creators, How do you...

I wrote a customer registration modification today for one of my carts just winging it. It requires that a customer who registers provides a site URL. It'll come in nifty for the affiliate mod. In the admin panel where I view all registered customers, it includes the site URL along with the other information (name address phone, etc).

It took me 3-4 hours to make sure that everything was in proper order and that I had gone through all of the files to catch everything.

I was creating and editing as I went along (bad habit) so if I were to do this mod again on another one of my carts, I didn't write down the script alterations. There were many alterations up and down throughout several .php files ...I'd have to do it all over again just by "feel". And if I were to do it again with instructions that I had written out, it probably would only take me 10 minutes to install. :)

So it got me wondering...for those that make mods, just how do you do your notations, and then keep them in order!? Especially the heavy duty ones?! (I highly commend you!)

Also, do any of you have a file comparison program that you recommend?

I wrote a customer registration modification today for one of my carts just winging it. It requires that a customer who registers provides a site URL. It'll come in nifty for the affiliate mod. In the admin panel where I view all registered customers, it includes the site URL along with the other information (name address phone, etc).

It took me 3-4 hours to make sure that everything was in proper order and that I had gone through all of the files to catch everything.

I was creating and editing as I went along (bad habit) so if I were to do this mod again on another one of my carts, I didn't write down the script alterations. There were many alterations up and down throughout several .php files ...I'd have to do it all over again just by "feel". And if I were to do it again with instructions that I had written out, it probably would only take me 10 minutes to install. 

So it got me wondering...for those that make mods, just how do you do your notations, and then keep them in order!? Especially the heavy duty ones?! (I highly commend you!)

Also, do any of you have a file comparison program that you recommend?

As far as comparisom programs i use Active File Compare 1.7.. You can get is at download.com...

keeping things in order i use //note before the code and after the code..

this helps alot BUT YOU CAN"T BLOCK IT OUT BETWEEN THE { } lines in code...

hope this helps you out

Funny thing is...I didn't realize until after I completed this mod and wrote this post that a different version was already installed on one of my other carts!!!!. lol

It would have saved me some time to transfer notes over :P

The one I did requires all registrants to provide a URL, not just affiliates. Either way, boy was it a PITA to sweep through all of the php files. I couldn't imagine having to go back on top of that and re-write instructions!

I didn't even think of leaving my own comment notes in the code *smacks forehead* That helps bunches.

I'll take a gander at Active File Compare. Thank you!

Edited by asillyshopper

I have done stuff like that my self and not just in PHP code.. I write other programs as well.. and do the same thing alot of times i just start over or buy the software close to what I need LoL..

Cheers

This is how I keep notations

- I do 1 mod at a time

- wherever I make changes, I just 'uncomment ' original code and put that file in a different folder(modname), so it's easy to trace what file need to be modified

- I write the install text at the same time

Stijn