500 Internal Server Error

jsgypsy

For a few days now I have been having intermittent problems with my store going down. The pages stop responding and if left long enough while waiting, I will receive the 500 error. Some pages within admin load fine, but then certain pages will not respond at all. If I go to mysql, the only database that will not load up fully in the Structure tab is the one for my CC4 site. All others load up fine. My databases are on different servers from my domains. I have put in a ticket with my host and am still awaiting their reply.

However there are a couple of things that have made me start to wonder if something is wrong with my cart.

First thing is I have several domains on the same server. My other sites are not having problems loading up. And as I mentioned above, it is only this particular database that will not load fully in mysql.

Second thing is that when I went to my links directory for the domain in question, it loads up just fine. I am not using CC4 in any way for my links directory - it is set up using a php script, and it has a separate database.

So could there be something caused by my store that is creating this problem? I don't know if it is a coincidence, but it seems that if I am able to run a repair on the database, the store will start responding. However most times I can't even run repair as that will just hang too.

Today it was down for around 3 hrs straight once I found out about it. Any ideas, or things I should look for maybe, I would be very grateful.

Ok, this is happening again.

I was just in my store printing out some orders, adjusting some of the qty's in the products.... went to view stats, and then went back to finish my adjustments by clicking on View Products and it just hangs. The store is not responding at all. And certain pages in admin will just hang there.

All my other domains, which are on the same server, are opening up just fine. I don't know alot about this stuff, I am the first to admin... is it possible that a script or command is sending my store loopy for some reason?

I am starting to wonder if I should try a fresh install? Opinions and comments by our techies welcome! :D

What php version is your host running? Is your SQL freespace limited (you should be able to check this in Cpanel or similar admin interface)? It does sound like an issue with your webhost, and perhaps for some reason they have (some?) SQL databases at low priority, or have changed settings.

(One of mine did that recently--completely shut down the site for days and they took half that time to even answer my support ticket. Problem was that they had inadvertantly downgraded the php version).

What php version is your host running? Is your SQL freespace limited (you should be able to check this in Cpanel or similar admin interface)? It does sound like an issue with your webhost, and perhaps for some reason they have (some?) SQL databases at low priority, or have changed settings.

(One of mine did that recently--completely shut down the site for days and they took half that time to even answer my support ticket. Problem was that they had inadvertantly downgraded the php version).

Thanks for your reply! I have however just read a reply from my webhost.....

"...your scripts have been getting automatically killed by our Process Watcher script due to your sites going over Memory limits on the shared server..."

They have given me some info to read over and have also said that I might want to check into getting one of their private servers. They have also said that it might not necessarily be my store that is causing the problem, but could be one of my other sites that has high usage. Then if my store sends it over the limit, it gets 'shut down'.

I do have 3 stores, a directory, a couple of blogs, so maybe I really do need to look into the private server? lol

• 2 weeks later...

I am about at my wits end with all this as my site still keeps going down and giving a 500 error. I haven't moved to a private server as of yet though - I am becoming more convinced that it won't provide a solution.

I have found that if I edit my robots.txt file to block my site so that it can't be crawled, it will bring the site back up within a short amount of time after I have done that. I have done this because I have noticed that it seems to go down whenever I have bots crawling it... the ones I notice the most are google and yahoo.

Obviously though, I don't want to block those, but it's just a temporary solution. I am still wondering if when the site is being crawled, if the bots are causing a script to keep running that would end up making my store go down. Is this possible? I think I have read something about it, but it's not an area I'm at all familiar with.

Since I haven't seen anything like this on the forum at all, I am considering doing a fresh install of my site, and slowly adding back any necessary mods and seeing how it all goes.

I am not sure though how to make sure that I get my old database back into the store. Last time I tried it I ended up with alot of areas that were duplicated such as the currencies, shipping zones, payment methods at checkout, etc. What is the best way to go about this? or does anyone have any other ideas?