OsCommerce vs CubeCart

Please read this entire post before making a judgement :whistle:

IMHO: i think that oscommerce's only advantage is their popularity and 'customer' database. Cubecart's forum only has 18,000 registered users while oscommerces forum has over 40,000 registered users.

i just think that because OSC has more people using it, thats why they have more people making mods and templates, etc. Plus the fact that OSC is completely free + they have like 30,000 free mods and image packs to download for free - not saying that CC modders dont so a great job and deserve to get paid for their hard work, but i rekon that since OSC has much more available for free, that they become a much more popular cart and will continue to beat CC.

Personally i love cubecart, but just the fact that i can do so much more with oscommerce is the only possible reason i'd even consider changing.

Just my 2 cents, and id love to hear what other people have to say on the matter.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest :w00t:

~Rob Goulding~

LightSpeed Computers

http://www.lightspeed.net.au

osCommerce was one of the first carts that I tested out when deciding which shopping cart software to use for my store. There are a ton of carts out there that can be used. I also tried Agora Cart and Interchange to get a feel for them. Meh.

Within two hours of mussing around with the navigation for admin with osCommerce, I uninstalled it looking for something else.

It wasn't nearly as user-friendly as CubeCart, IMO.

Next, I can spot an osCommerce cart right away. When I'm shopping in stores online there are SO many retailers that use osCommerce and the cart looks the same, it's almost a spooky feeling to shop at those stores. The look and navigation of the cart is so cliche with so many people having it that I have to second-guess whether I had just shopped there two links ago, and the reason I left is because I didn't find what I was looking for at the first site. I'll click off of the site that I'm on without even thinking about it because I feel like I'd been there already, and I don't want to waste any more time browsing around to find out.

With the carts being so popular and mostly same-looking I don't really know whether a newly skinned osCommerce store is the same one I just left with a different domain name or what! I mean I shop online for everything... (up to a tube of specialized chapstick for pete's sake because I'm personally lazy and I'm married to my computer). My point being that shopping cart software is always in my face.

One of the reasons I prefer the look and feel of cubecart is, although it's not as popular as osCommerce, it's also not as cliche and obvious where the look of my store is set apart from other retailers that sell the same exact merchandise.

I guess it's a matter of what each store needs as far as options go. *shrugs* CC has pretty much everything available that I've needed or could use. I don't know how many other mod options I'd need to add above the one's I've done with exception of a *search by price-range mod* that I'm still looking for. I don't mind paying for it.

Other than that, free mods and free skins don't really interest me. If I was going to go with osCommerce I'd have to pay for a completely new layout template to avoid being just like the rest of the stores of my type that use osCommerce with a different skin color. :whistle:

i completely agree with you there asillyshopper that the osc admin section is horrible, but as a small business and being in Australia it makes it hard for me to buy mods, and i think that using the out-of-the-box CC has the same effect as you were commenting about with OSC.

anyway, as stijnj said, we'll wait for CC3 to come out and go from there :whistle:

Hopefully there'll be so much more choice, and more customisationability (its fun to make up words :w00t:)

i think that using the out-of-the-box CC has the same effect as you were commenting about with OSC.

Indeed! And lately I've been getting paranoid about my store looking out-of-the box because I'm viewing so many CubeCart's through the forum lately lol.

But really it's unfounded. I know I've seen a few CC's online while shopping, or something that looked similar to a CC, but even the out-of-the-box version still isn't overly saturated on the net where I wonder if I'm experiencing deja vu. :w00t:

I'm looking forward to CCv3 as well. :whistle:

Guest twisted

I've stated something similar myself, about where people post there "Take a look at my new cubecart store" and they have done little or nothing to set it apart from a default set-up. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but when Cubecart is SO EASY to customize...why not do it? ANd as you say, silly, cubecart is nowhere near a saturation point like osc. I agree that is is SO easy to spot an osc site when browsing the web. I too, when starting out, found osc first, but since then have found and tried AT LEAST 30 other shopping carts. They all sucked.

Cubecart is WAY more flexible than osC when changing the look...I should know, I've been using both for nearly 3 years and I am NEVER satisfied with 'out-of-the-box'. :)

To me, as someone who cannot afford to go out and spend $30, $50, or $100 on mods, the free aspect of oscommerce and it's mods, is appealing. Apart from that (and it is very easy to become afflicted with the infobox overload syndrome) the only thing, I feel, that puts osc ahead of cube, is its ability for users to accept creditcards for offline processing, and that is the only reason I stick with it for my wife's flower shop site.

Cubecart does the job it was created for, and it does it reasonably well. Like I told a guy yesterday....if I want bells and whistles...i'll go to a toy store.

Store visitors don;t want bells and whistles (with the exeption of noobs who are still going "ooooh & aaah look at the pretty colors!" at web sites)...they want functionality, usability and clear, easy navigation. A good looking site helps, too. :D

All cubecart lacks right now and I hope we will see a lot of this disappear with CC3, is a little functionality (shop by price, more shipping options, accept cc's, etc...you know...the usual!) :P

I think you will find people who will rave about Cubecart, and others who will rave about oscommerce. Each has its fans and loyal users, each has its pros and cons, but that's what makes for healthy competition.

Personally, I can't see myself moving from the Cube Camp for a goodly long time.

:w00t:

P.S. I don't think the admin section of osc is horrible...I think its navigation is horrible! And it just takes a long time to set up. Look at the guy who is having probs with Cube and switched to osc (same guy I told about the bells and whistles)...said he had spent 10 hours! getting his store back up woth osc. 10 hours!!!!!

How many spend that long setting up a cube store? :whistle:

The thing I love about CubeCart s it's so simple and largely very easy to understand.

To be fair OScommerce is very flexible, both out of the box and with a plethora of mod extensions, but for me that's part of its problem. Options = complexity.

Also it's SO hard to egt any intleligent ansers on that forum :-(

I sort of agree that it is easy to mod the look of Cubecart, but as easy as OSc's STN mod for instance.

I know you (WildBill +) can do it twisted and BRILLIANTLY!

But I think the rest of us are stilll trying to find out what script each bit is in ;-)

What is shameful is how most stores don't even create a proper "logo" and colour schemes seem to be erm. missing ?

There are a couple of criminal ommission sin CubeCart, solvabel with mods, and hopefuly built-in to V3.

I'm realy not sure what brooky was thinking by not including shipping by weight, category description, VAT/TAX inclusive prices, and a local SSL gateway (which I (and others) can provide of course).

ANYWAY if someone wants to write STN for CubeCart my wallet is open !

Or even just a more user friendly side panel editor.

Actualy that would be great and potentially easy'ish if you understood it to start with;-) Essentially it's an includes editor ?

Even PHP-Nuke is pretty chummy at adding, moving and hiding blocks!

Evne with a swquare design, itmakes a huge differenc ebeing able to add your own blocks and move them about "EASILY".

JMTCW.

I cannot be bothered to read this whole thread but i uninstalled oscommerce to use cubecart and never thought of changing back.

All i need now is a pppay.com gateway.

Guest OSKicks

oscommerce cannot be used on HIGH TRAFFIC sites well it can if you want to pay your host a load of money, next CC more simple, OSC more buggy, mods easier to make, deano my friend i made that pppay.com and gave it 2 ya, they are updating their servers not in my control they siad in next few days their new system should be up, yep yep thanks-----------Josh