Rant- Rebuild Category Product Count

dizzi

OK, to be clear, I have been using Cubecart for the latter half of this year and I've been very happy with it and the service I've received from tech support UNTIL NOW

On Monday this week, I was doing some maintenance and clicked the "Rebuild and Recount" -" Rebuild Category Product Count " function. This caused an issue with the database that has turned out to be quite distastrous for me with many store functions now not working. After contacting support, I am still unable to have get this issue fixed. They initially said it was a bug, so they would help, but after 4 days, they (Milos) has actually denied its the software fault and said, to quote "Only I can suggest is to start from scratch" and "hire someone to fix this". I mentioned I did not want to upgrade to latest version right now (I'm using 4.2.1) as the mods on the store are not yet compatible. Milos answered with they do not provide support for 3rd party mods. Never asked them to, only to fix the issues caused by the bug in Rebuild and recount.

So, a warning. Do not use Rebuild and Recount unless you have latest version.

Its worth mentioning that this service lets Cubecart/Devellion down a great deal. If they will not take responsibility for a bug (I do understand bugs happen, this is not the issue) where does that leave a user of their software. I am furious after putting many months of work into my store and getting this, especially after they admitted it was a bug in the beginning.

The aim of this post is not to give Cubecart a bad name, but to warn others of this bug and maybe even bring it to the attention of someone within Cubecart about the service I am receiving.

I have just come on this forum to look for a similar issue I have a client testing a copy of cc423 testing inputting products somehow he managed to get into a situ where he deleted a category that the database was still showing that the products were attached to so I reset the cat id manually and then went to store admin now running fine so went to store front and a category with products in showing minus 1 product so I ran rebuild and count products and got this error

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 240 bytes) in /home/direct/public_html/classes/db/db.php on line 130 any ideas anyone

I've had to use the Rebuild and Recount function quite often as I edit my products from time to time, sometimes a dozen time in a row if I'm checking how things look on the front end. I've never had a problem with it, from any of the CC versions.

My first guess would be that maybe a 3rd party mod was installed incorrectly and caused the symptoms noticed, but I suppose that a non-standard server configuration COULD be responsible as well.

Personally, I don't think the function should be required. I think any function that produces an error in the number of products in a category should be fixed, rather than placing the burden of maintaining a correct count onto the site owner.

Got contacted by tech support who again advise that its simply not possible for rebuild and recount to mess my site up so much. So, in all fairness, I accept this and will just have to upgrade and face any further issues. Its a little coincidental that it happens right after hitting "rebuild and recount" but they would be more qualified to make this decision.