Registration - "Telephone numbers must be numeric only"

grafis

Anyone know how to update the Registration page to warn users what the required field formatting requirements are?

Specifically the Telephone field seems to cause issues requiring "numeric only". Folks in the united states tend to use (111) 222-3333, 111 / 222 3333, 111-222-3333 or similar delimiter type formatting that a human can parse.

How can I help users register more smoothly as basically all are rejected on their first try?

tia,

g

You can either edit the templates, the language variables which show up on the templates, or edit the PHP code so that the requirement does not exist, which is what I did on my site.

in includes/content/reg.inc.php, find the section that looks like:

if ($_POST['skipReg']==1 && (empty($_POST['firstName']) || empty($_POST['lastName']) || empty($_POST['email']) || empty($_POST['phone']) || empty($_POST['add_1']) || empty($_POST['town']) || empty($county) || empty($_POST['postcode']) || empty($_POST['country']))) {

$errorMsg = $lang['reg']['fill_required'];

} elseif(!isset($_POST['skipReg']) && (empty($_POST['firstName']) || empty($_POST['lastName']) || empty($_POST['email']) || empty($_POST['phone']) || empty($_POST['add_1']) || empty($_POST['town']) || empty($county) || empty($_POST['postcode']) || empty($_POST['country']) || empty($_POST['password']) || empty($_POST['passwordConf']))) {
This section defines which fields are required.  If you want to change the required fields, edit this to either add or remove fields from the list.

Next, to change the format requirements of the phone and mobile phone fields, look for this code:

} elseif(!preg_match('#^([0-9-\s]+)$#', $_POST['phone'])) {

$errorMsg = $lang['reg']['enter_valid_tel'];

} elseif(!empty($_POST['mobile']) && !preg_match('#^([0-9-\s]+)$#', $_POST['mobile'])) {

You can either edit this to your liking, or remove it completely, which is what I did.

Guest estelle

What Burgensteen said. Plus, when adding the parentheses they may have to be escaped with backslashes (?). Try this:

} elseif(!preg_match('#^([0-9-\s\(\)]+)$#', $_POST['phone'])) {

} elseif(!empty($_POST['mobile']) && !preg_match('#^([0-9-\s\(\)]+)$#', $_POST['mobile'])) {