Search Query Causing High CPU Usage

Hello everyone,

We have built an art supplies website for a client of ours recently.

The site has been up and running now for a month or so but we are experiencing alot of downtime with the web hosts.

The hosts are claiming that poorly written queries are causing high CPU usage. In their lastest email to us, they explain that the following query is the culprit.

SELECT DISTINCT(I.productId), I.*, MATCH (I.description,I.name,I.productCode) AGAINST('rembrant pastels') AS SearchScore FROM CubeCart_inventory AS I, CubeCart_cats_idx AS CI, CubeCart_category AS C WHERE (MATCH (I.description,I.name,I.productCode) AGAINST('rembrant pastels')) >= 0.500000 AND C.cat_id > 0 AND C.cat_id = CI.cat_id AND CI.productId = I.productId AND C.cat_id = I.cat_id AND C.hide = '0' AND (C.cat_desc != '##HIDDEN##' OR C.cat_desc IS NULL) AND I.disabled = '0' ORDER BY SearchScore DESC;

There are around 10,000 products. I'm interested in knowing if anyone else has experienced similar issues and if there are any remedies for it.

We are considering moving hosts but would like to do this as the last option.

Tom.

Have you seen this: http://www.cubecartforums.org/index.php?sh...ic=7588&hl=

This doesn not bode well for me either.

Renate

Back in November my site kept going down as well - large blocks of downtime throughout the day. I had just updated to the latest version, but I had also put in a new mod or two. However I wasn't told anything from my host about any bad scripts - they kept telling me it was the search bots, and they had put blocks on them. I sort of figured out the problem for myself after I sold a domain and move it, tidied up a few other things and couldn't get any results.

So I decided to completely reinstall the store again, and only started adding back my mods that I knew were working fine beforehand. Since then, I've not had any problems.

I've only this weekend just been able to try and apply the mod that I think was the issue just to see if it would happen again - this was a mod to make the advanced search better - but after I applied it and tried the search, I came up with a mysql error. So for now I've taken it out until I have some time to contact the developer. But I do think it had something to do when the search bots were on the site, possibly this mod sending things wacky. Sorry, don't know the proper lingo :)

Back in November my site kept going down as well - large blocks of downtime throughout the day. I had just updated to the latest version, but I had also put in a new mod or two. However I wasn't told anything from my host about any bad scripts - they kept telling me it was the search bots, and they had put blocks on them. I sort of figured out the problem for myself after I sold a domain and move it, tidied up a few other things and couldn't get any results.

So I decided to completely reinstall the store again, and only started adding back my mods that I knew were working fine beforehand. Since then, I've not had any problems.

I've only this weekend just been able to try and apply the mod that I think was the issue just to see if it would happen again - this was a mod to make the advanced search better - but after I applied it and tried the search, I came up with a mysql error. So for now I've taken it out until I have some time to contact the developer. But I do think it had something to do when the search bots were on the site, possibly this mod sending things wacky. Sorry, don't know the proper lingo :)

:wacko: say what?

I had the same problem, changing your hosts won't solve the problem (i already went down that route).

As yet there is no fix for it but it is probably related to the size of the inventory.

Gav.