Need advice about a customer request

Guest aliceaod

Guest aliceaod

I'm not quite sure how to handle a customer request I received recently.

I sell digital products.

He says he lost all his files due to a virus which, technically, is not my problem. It is the owner responsibility to make back-ups of files. He's asking me for a replacement.

To me, this is no different than saying that you lost a shoe (whether you left it somewhere or to a fire or whatever), then go to the place where you originally purchased the shoes and asked the vendor to give you another shoe. They will laugh at you.

I'm not quite sure how to handle this. How do I, diplomatically, tell this person to re-purchase the files or should I just send them to him?

They should have their order number from the original sale, get them to quote it to you, if they say they have lost it then they can recieve it from their account history if they log into your store.

If they cannot provide this info then I would decline a re-issue.

Just my thoughts.

Guest aliceaod

They should have their order number from the original sale, get them to quote it to you, if they say they have lost it then they can recieve it from their account history if they log into your store.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks. Yes, he sent me the order number in both instances of his lost files. What I'll have to do is re-activate the download link since the order has been set to "completed", but it just irks me.

Next time someone crashes into my car, I wonder if Toyota will give me a replacement...

Guest Brivtech

For future reference, you should make your policy very clear in your Terms & Conditions. I'm sure Toyota does the same when they sell you a car.

As to this particular case, consider it as a customer relations excercise, as a one-off and prevent is happening again in the future.

Have you considered charging customers who are in this position? Let's say you sell the digital product for $50, if they can provide their details as this customer has, you could specify at time of sale, that if they lose their download, they can obtain a new one for say $20, subject to providing those details of course. Just (another) idea, ad compensates your inconvenience of handling their request.

Guest aliceaod

Thank you VERY MUCH for that idea.

Yes, I have updated the terms about replacement files since this came up (first time) and I think I'll offer what you mention, the files again, but at a discounted rate. Excellent suggetion. Thank you!!

• 1 year later...
Guest pegaan

Just my thoughts.

Thanks. Yes, he sent me the order number in both instances of his lost files. What I'll have to do is re-activate the download link since the order has been set to "completed", but it just irks me.

Next time someone crashes into my car, I wonder if Toyota will give me a replacement...

you said about reactivate the download link..... can this be done externally with a link? or does this have to be done from admin cp? thanks