Change county drop down for text box

Guest facethefuture

Guest facethefuture

Hey all

I was wondering if anyone could help me solve a little problem.

It seems my customers are stupid, and are just leaving the default county in when registering / buying a product or a ringing and saying it's automatically showing Aberdeenshire (first UK county) on the county section. It's pretty clear that it's a drop down but there are a small minority out there who can't grasp this.

Does anyone know how to change it so it's just the text box for the county so they have to enter the county name themselves?

At the minute I've just added a new county for the UK which says * PLEASE SELECT * at the top so hopefully people will see they have to choose one, but if anyone has a solution to change it to a text box for all countries, please let me know.

Cheers

Mark

• 7 months later...

It seems my customers are stupid, and are just leaving the default county in when registering / buying a product or a ringing and saying it's automatically showing Aberdeenshire (first UK county) on the county section. It's pretty clear that it's a drop down but there are a small minority out there who can't grasp this.

I'm having the same problem here, and I thought it was because of stupid customers too, but it seems there is more to it than that. Something about the script that converts the the counties based on the country selected seems to be causing problems intermittently. I thought I could just change it from a pull-down menu to a text field but when the Invoice address gets sent to PayPal Pro the County (State) now gets lost and the last one in the list is put in by default. So basically I went from 30% of my customers claiming they were from Alabama to all of them being from Wyoming, sigh.

Let me know if you found a solution and if not I'll let you know what I figure out.

Hey all

I was wondering if anyone could help me solve a little problem.

Does anyone know how to change it so it's just the text box for the county so they have to enter the county name themselves?

At the minute I've just added a new county for the UK which says * PLEASE SELECT * at the top so hopefully people will see they have to choose one, but if anyone has a solution to change it to a text box for all countries, please let me know.

Cheers

Mark

I think one of the problems you might encounter if you change this, is customers miss spelling or putting abreviations in for the county, ie staffs instead of staffordshire etc. This could affect shipping charges as they may be based on the county so I am not sure it is a great idea.

I'm having the same problem here, and I thought it was because of stupid customers too, but it seems there is more to it than that. Something about the script that converts the the counties based on the country selected seems to be causing problems intermittently. I thought I could just change it from a pull-down menu to a text field but when the Invoice address gets sent to PayPal Pro the County (State) now gets lost and the last one in the list is put in by default. So basically I went from 30% of my customers claiming they were from Alabama to all of them being from Wyoming, sigh.

Let me know if you found a solution and if not I'll let you know what I figure out.

kyle, are you using the latest version 4.3.5 as there is a fix included that rectified a problem with the county and PayPal express checkout?