defualt country when registering

keat

Guys.

This is my last question.... honest.

Provided all my prices are correct, the site will go live on Monday.

In the UK, we have 2 tax areas.. 15% for mainland UK, and 0% for what we call the "Channel Islands" (Jersey & Guernsey)

I've tried all sorts of things in the GUI so that the channel islands do not get taxed..

I've removed Jersey from the ISO file, but it still seems to be subject to tax.

So the only way I can figure out to do this is, to create a new country code for the channel Islands.

However, people in the channel islands, quite rightly, regard themselves as United Kingdom, so at the time of registration, they could easily use the default United Kingdom in the drop down on the registration page..However by doing so, will inadvertantly subject themselves to tax

How do I configure this, so the country selection is blank by default, thus ensuring my channel island customers choose "Channel Islands" as thier country.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree.. and there is an easier way to do this.

Guys & Gals.. Quite a long replay to my own message, but someone might understand what I'm getting at.

The site went live this weekend, so until I can find a definitive answer, I've done a small work around.

As we don't indend shipping outside the UK. I removed all the other countries from the database.

It keeps it tidy at my end, and easier to manage.

I then created a new county code for the channel Islands.

So Now when a customer comes to sign up, they have United Kingdom and Channel Islands only in the drop down box.

Next.. In the Language file.. I modified the phrase Country = "country" to say Country = "UK or Channel Islands"

Now when a customer signs up, he will be charged VAT if he's mainland UK, and no vat if he's Channel Islands.

Ok, so it's messy, but it works.

Does anyone know, how I should have done this. ??

Also whilst on the subject.. Jersey & Guernsey (channel Islands) are in the list of counties/states for the UK.

If I were to change the county box, in the sign up area, into a drop down, but remove Jersey & Guernsey from the county/state list.. would this have worked. ?