Am I being used to Spam people?

Hi,

Through viewing the 'customers online' feature, I keep coming up with unregistered visitors viewing the 'tell a friend' page. The text in the message box is usually something like "I found this 'Sakura 3D Souffle Pen - Pink' and thought that you may be interested."

These pens are a product we sell, but the message is always this - sometimes a different pen colour. I have never seen any other product being mentioned.

Now, call me an old cynic, but the message reads to me as the same sort of bland drivel you would find in a spam mail message.

Is it possible that someone is using our site to spam people, or pass on malware under the guise of our good name????

:)

Er...no. Go to your store. Click on a product. Click on "Tell a friend". You will see that the text you relayed here is the standard "tell a friend" text that's already there and can be edited by each customer. Could be bots scanning each page, or legitimate/potential customers (not everyone logs in to browse).

• 2 months later...

Hmm, I've just had a shoal-load of email bounces - and, after reflecting on this for a while, decided to check my cubecart settings. I have now switched on the captcha (Enable Script/Bot Flood Control) and, so far, that seems to have worked. It took me a few minutes to figure out that the shopping cart was the issue and thought I'd add to this thread in case others are having the same issue.

M