I'm looking for an honest opinion

Guest Hooper

Guest Hooper

Hi all, The name's Hooper and I'm in the process of putting together a Cubecart shop.

I'm enjoying it, but I'm finding it tricky to find what I'm looking for on this forum. I've noticed a large degree of beginners posting for help and receiving none. I know the regulars here must tire of repeating the same thing, but the amount of un-answered pleas for help is worrying me! So I'm was hoping if anyone could chip in and tell me wheather Cubecart, or support for it, really is worthwhile.

I don't mean that in disrespectful way, but with a client in hand I'm sure you'll understand anyone wanting to be 100% sure with whatever prog/software they will be using. I may find regulars themselves feel support here isn't up to scratch - or maybe I'm just worrying too much!

For one instance - I'm having trouble locating a payment gateway for Abbey National. Forum search results offer little. :cry:

Thanks again to anyone who answers. Cubecart certainly looks mighty fine, but when sods law turns its head, I wanna know help will be at hand!

- Hooper.

Hi Hooper,

I've been using CubeCart for a few years, and previously used and trialed a range of other systems.

One thing to consider is that no platform will do everything you need.

If you're charging for your services (you mention a client), then your client should (quite reasonably) expect you to know the technicalities in setting up their store, or you've been able to charge enough to sub-contract aspects of the work out.

You mention an Abbey National payment gateway. I've not seen this as a payment module, but it may be simple to implement. You would have to provide the API details to a developer and pay them for their time. If there is demand, you may be able to ask a developer to share some risk and code it for a lower rate in exchange for selling the completed module as an add-on product.

A few years ago, there was a ban on promoting 3rd party services in this Offical CubeCart forum. Over time, this led to the cubecartforums.org site, which is the main place to go for 3rd party support and paid-for projects. There are free and commerical code and graphical templates for download, and if you've not taken a look - I'm sure you'll benefit from a visit.

Going back to my original comment, you'll find that OSC/Zen/Magneto etc will require some development to meet your requirements. Some may be more suited to your requirements better than CubeCart, but still may not be 100%

I'd advise installing a demo of CC4 - it has many features, and is easy to set-up and use. Most 3rd party developers are concentrating on producing code for this.

I'm currently setting up a store for a mobility website, and I'm able to provide a cost effective solution (with full licences) for a good price- as I don't need to customise too much (so far, only visuals). I installed CC4 in about 5 mins (after upload), added a few products in 10mins and then pasted my clients information (faq/about us etc). Obviously, I've confident on setting this kind of thing up, and have experience with CC3.

Essentially the bulk of their store was up in a few hours. They will need to add products, and I'm awaiting a decision on Google Checkout or HSBC payment gateway, then finish template customisation and add logo.

The demo will run for 30days, and should be enough time to evaluate the software. If your client is on a budget, then CC3 is very good value with a good history.

You can also ask for help over at the other forum, although for the basics (shipping/tax/products/installation etc), you should get assistance here.

Remember that forums rely on voluntary assistance. You may find the odd post from Devilion, but most questions are answered by people happy to give up some free time to help.

I hope this helps,

Jason

Guest Hooper

I hope this helps,

Jason

Yes it does. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply so thoroughly. Much appreciated.

Yes, my client is aware this is my foray into Cubecart (or anything similar.) I am being totally honest with them. I'm a web designer, but this is all new to me.

I have downloaded and installed v3, and I have customised the template accordingly. My only worry is the payment side of the project. I know Sods Law, and I know it'll rear its head at some point during the payment gateway(s) setup! (There seems to be a lot of problems with gateway setups, which baffles me. I don't understand how they just don't work sometimes.)

You mention you take on clients yourself - can your services be rendered if the need arises? I'm not looking to mess around with any possible problems - just want the solution! It's a shame about the Abbey module.

Again, thanks for your great reply, I'm just going to nip over to Cubecartforums.org for a good look.

Hooper.

Guest aguser

I have to say that up until recently most forums posts seemed to be answered in one way or another. It is all voluntary and when there is not an answer here or other related forum then Develion are on the ball if you submit a support question to them.

As for payment gateways, it depends on a lot of factors but the most simplest ones are like Nochex and Paypal where you set up an account with them and provide details to cubecart. Customers are then sent from your store to the payment service and returned once successful. The more complex setups would most likely require you to have a merchant account, take payments on your store and therefore require you to have a dedicated SSL certificate and so on.

Cubecart has many of the popular gateways already installed but others are available if you post on the other forum.

So I'm was hoping if anyone could chip in and tell me wheather Cubecart, or support for it, really is worthwhile.

I have used CubeCart for many years both as a user on my own stores but also installing for my own clients and as vokf has said you are very unlikely to find any package that will do everything that you want - I think CubeCart offers a very wide range of functionality at a very reasonable price.

You specifically asked about support from the software authors and even with the experience and knowledge that I have built up, I always have a running support contract with Devellion and wouldnt be without it. As this is your first foray into using CubeCart you should certainly have some sort of software support contract whether that is direct or via a hosting company that offer a specific support agreement as part of the hosting.

Good luck !

Ian

Guest Hooper

you should certainly have some sort of software support contract whether that is direct or via a hosting company that offer a specific support agreement as part of the hosting.

Thanks Ian! This direct contract - expensive? and is it possible you have a link for further reading? Googling isn't helping.

Many thanks.

Hi

You will get some support days when you purchase a CubeCart licence and you can also purchase top up support through the same control panel. Is it expensive ? It is quite a lot of money but I suppose it depends what your level of expertise is and what it is worth to you.

up to 3 months, is $29.95 per month

up to 6 months, is $24.95 per month

12 months or more is $19.95 per month

Regards

Ian