Changed skin on frontend - now can't change skins on backend!

Lvic

Well, this is certainly embarrassing... :)

I was testing out a bunch of skins I just uploaded onto my server, so I turned on the "allow user to change skins" setting in the backend and started trying out each one using the dropdown menu on the frontend.

Unfortunately, one of the themes does not allow the frontend skin selection to appear, so I went in to change it in the backend. No dice; the skin shows as changed in the backend, but it's still "xskin" on the frontend.

Behold!

Can anyone help?

Edit the global template, and add {SKIN} to it.

Do you mean includes/global/index.inc.php?

The following does appear in it:

require_once"includes".CC_DS."boxes".CC_DS."skin.inc.php";

$body->assign("SKIN",$box_content);

Oh, and when I went to delete the offending skin on my server, I got an error message from Cubecart, looking for the skin's files!

No you need to edit and add it to /skins/yourskin/styleTemplates/global/index.tpl

Thanks! that's more like it.

However when I did go and change the skin using the frontend pulldown, I get this:

Error screen

"Not Found

The requested URL /switch.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

It's looking for a page that just ain't there! :)

I'm not looking to add the "choose a skin" option on my site permanently, I had only temporarily enabled it to test out skins. But now I can't change the skin, frontend or backend at all! (it shows that the default skin is changed in the backend, but it still looks the same in the frontend -- and since this skin doesn't seem to work right with the cart, I definitely do not want to keep it!)

Something very strange is going on, I just visited your store and it had the classic skin. I could change the skin and it worked untill I tried the xskin, after that it will not change to anything else, the other weird thing is that if I try another browser and again navigate to your store it shows the classic skin again and I can change skins, I have not changed it to the xskin in case it stops working.

Why dont you delete or remove the xskin for now and see if that recitifies the problem.

Something very strange is going on, I just visited your store and it had the classic skin. I could change the skin and it worked untill I tried the xskin, after that it will not change to anything else, the other weird thing is that if I try another browser and again navigate to your store it shows the classic skin again and I can change skins, I have not changed it to the xskin in case it stops working.

Why dont you delete or remove the xskin for now and see if that recitifies the problem.

Yes! I see the problem now... I downloaded the entire Cubecart database as an sql file, and searched for mentions of xskin. It's just saving my preferred skin whenever I visit the site. So the skin was changed, just not for me.

I'm going to delete the xskin, remove the skin changed from the frontend, and clear the sessions table in the database. That should clear just about any trace of that.

Thanks for the tip!