Database Question

petecube

Hi I have a quick question I hope someone can answer, I need to move a store I set up for a client to a new domain fortunately I have only loaded a couple of categories and a few products so far, so I have backed up the database using the utility in the stores admin so that I can import it into the database on the new domain.

The database on the new domain will have a slightly different name, this is because my host appends a set of digits to the name to make sure all the databases on the server are unique, I tried to import a database backup on my development copy of Cube Cart that I have running locally on WAMP server but it failed because the sql dump file was from a different database.

I had a look inside the .sql dump file and noticed the name of the database near the top of the file, am I correct in thinking that if I change the database name in the dump file to the new database name I can then import it the new database?

Any help will be much appreciated thanks.

I don't think you need to change any database names, just create your new database and then use the import function in php myadmin and select your old database file.

Once you have copied over your files to the new server you will have to change the setting in the includes/global.inc file so that it works correctly.

fortunately I have only loaded a couple of categories and a few products so far,

in that case I don't see what is the problem: add the couple categories and few products again to the new database. And I also think (like Ausy) you don't need to change the new database name if you create a blank one in the new domain and then use that new database import function thru myphpadmin.

Hi I have a quick question I hope someone can answer, I need to move a store I set up for a client to a new domain fortunately I have only loaded a couple of categories and a few products so far, so I have backed up the database using the utility in the stores admin so that I can import it into the database on the new domain.

The database on the new domain will have a slightly different name, this is because my host appends a set of digits to the name to make sure all the databases on the server are unique, I tried to import a database backup on my development copy of Cube Cart that I have running locally on WAMP server but it failed because the sql dump file was from a different database.

I had a look inside the .sql dump file and noticed the name of the database near the top of the file, am I correct in thinking that if I change the database name in the dump file to the new database name I can then import it the new database?

Any help will be much appreciated thanks.

Hi guys thanks for the replys to my post.

It seems that it you are right that I dont need to change the name of the database in the .sql dump file to use it to populate the new database on the new domain I emailed support at my hosting company and they said I can just import the existing database to the new one without changing the name of the database within the dump file.

Although I said I have only loaded a couple of categories and a few products so far, it was a bit of an understatement each category contains sub categories which contains lots of copper fittings in each category so I dont fancy having to spend a couple of hours manually repopulate them again it gets a bit mind numbing.

Anyhoo thanks for your replys all the best...

Pete

Hi just a quick post to let you know that I have successfully moved the database it worked a treat. :blush:

I now know why it failed locally I tried to use the import tool, I should have clicked on the SQL tab and then selected a file to upload.

Thanks for the reminder about editing the global include file Ausy I have sorted that.

So all I have to do now is upload all the files and folders to the new domain.

Thanks again for the relpys to my question to help me resolve the issue.

Pete