SEO Report

northwalesinks

Hi All

I had SEO report done o my web site and this is he report can anybody else give me feedback what he think of my web site

*On-site SEO:*

Meta Description is too long

Your meta description should be no more than 150 characters, your current meta description is 165 characters.

Font Tags Found in HTML

We found some HTML font tags on this page. While this is not a critical issue, you should use Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) to separate your website's content from its appearance.

Some of the images have no ALT tags.

Permanent Redirect Not Found

Search engines may think www.northwalesinks.com/store and northwalesinks.com/store are two different sites.You should set up a permanent redirect (technically called a "301 redirect") between these sites. Once you do that, you will get full search engine credit for your work on these sites.

Your logo doesn't link back to your homepage and both www.northwalesinks.com/store/ and www.northwalesinks.com/store/index.php exist in the internal linking structure, making your link juice disperse among two URLs lowering both of their bower in search engines and creating duplicate content problem for you.

I also have a problem with your design. I think you should hire a professional designer as this is just terrible. It looks like it was designed in the nineties. Your logo is just terrible (both design and image quality) and your fluid design makes your store look terrible in the higher resolutions. Usability is also pretty bad since I need lots of clicks to get to any product on your store.

I'd suggest moving to any modern online store solution with web 2.0 functions such as Magento.

Off-site optimization:*

You have no blog and your social media activity is invisible. This results in you having extremely low number of backlinks (which are needed to rank high for any competitive keyword on major search engines) and your website having a Google PR of 1 / 10.

Basically, there's a lot of work to be done on your site in a SEO perspective :zorro:

Thank you for your time!

As he is saying to use a wordpress ECOMMERCE plugin not cubecart

Font Tags in HTML, missing ALT tags and Logo linking; Most of this can be fixed with a new/better/tweaked template.

Long Meta Tags; thats up to the store owner to fix -ie you.

Magneto is an option, but its a fairly new product. Most of the above problems can also occur in other ecommerce packages. CubeCart uses a pretty good template engine, so you can easily tweak the "look" without getting too involved with PHP/mySQL.

Getting a clean, modern, XHTML/CSS based template should help with SEO - as there will be less mark-up on the page compared with the actual content.

I would suggest getting a 2nd opinion from someone used to working with CubeCart/OSC/Zen etc.

Jason

All of the items mentioned can easily be done with CubeCart, it just takes development time. The meta stuff can be updated within store Admin.

I'd suggest moving to any modern online store solution with web 2.0 functions such as Magento.
This is the only subjective comment... he may just have more experience with Magento and have no knowledge of CubeCart... so he may not know how flexible CubeCart really is.

Hi All,

Thank you for all poeple who have replied to my post but i got few question

but how i do the follow items,

missing ALT tags and Logo linking

how do you do this

Search engines may think www.northwalesinks.com/store and northwalesinks.com/store are two different sites.You should set up a permanent redirect (technically called a "301 redirect") between these sites. Once you do that, you will get full search engine credit for your work on these sites.

Your logo doesn't link back to your homepage and both www.northwalesinks.com/store/ and www.northwalesinks.com/store/index.php exist in the internal linking structure, making your link juice disperse among two URLs lowering both of their bower in search engines and creating duplicate content problem for you.

I be greatful somebody can give me some points here????

• 10 months later...
Guest pegaan

Hi All,

Thank you for all poeple who have replied to my post but i got few question

but how i do the follow items,

missing ALT tags and Logo linking

how do you do this

I be greatful somebody can give me some points here????

i have a perm redirect from 1 site that i used for testing to the real site, code is simple

put this in top of head if html or in header of php

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript">

<!--

window.location.href = "http://www.yrsite.com/â€Â

//-->

</script>

i have a perm redirect from 1 site that i used for testing to the real site, code is simple

put this in top of head if html or in header of php

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript">

<!--

window.location.href = "http://www.yrsite.com/â€Â

//-->

</script>

I would advise against this. Redirects should be performed by Apache. You can specify 301 redirects in the .htaccess file (search google for more information).

Also, if you plan on keeping your skin, I would suggest that you rename it such that the directory name does not contain spaces - just to avoid any problems down the line. Although my opinion may be biased ;) , I do think that you would benefit from using a different skin. The HTML markup in the stock skins is abysmal at best.

I personally believe that Magento is a much better piece of software than CC4. But I would question whether you need everything that Magento offers. CC4, whilst not as powerful, caters to a different market in many respects. You should also be able to easily upgrade to CC5 if and when it is released.

• 2 weeks later...

Magneto is an option, but its a fairly new product.

I respectfully disagree that Magento is an option.

First of all it is a monster to configure. I hope I do not offend any of the skilled programmers here, but a strange thing happens as site development gets further and further away from parts of the world where eCommerce is more common. I have a very strong suspicion that Magento is the product of some clever but clueless programmers deep in the heart of that bastion of smooth marketing and commerce, Mother Russia.

It's kind of like, you do not order fish and chips in Peoria, Illinois nor bagels in Siena, Italy. While the results may look they same, one bite will cause you to ask, WTF is this stuff?

Magento often bills itself as Web 2.0, built from the ground up, without any of the baggage of previous carts. And there in lies its first great fault.

The Magento process of creating and organizing your content, categories and products lends new meaning to the word, "byzantine." They have reinvented the wheel, ignoring all previous designs, and come up with one that has bumps and lumps. Even something as simple as creating a site doc is an exercise in seeing how many screens you must go through just to create one and publish it.

But that is not its biggest flaw (aside from so-called "installation instructions" and truly arrogant and contemptuous support forums that treat visitors who point out that the so-called instructions are wrong, as dummies).

The biggest problem with Magento is, its a pig. I own one of the oldest, privately owned, continuously operated hosting services in the whole world. I have hosted - and still do host - quite a few CubeCart installations. Never had a problem with any of them.

Then I acquired a client who wanted 3 online furniture stores. Each of the three different sites sold the same products under different brand identities to different online markets. The client wanted two of them in CC3 and the third in Magento. The two CC3 stores were customized and bulk-uploaded within a week. No problem. I used a bulk uploader for CC3 and it worked like a charm. For daily use, I bought, instaled and tutored the client in another uploader that did a small group of products in one transaction. Again, no problems.

The Magento store was a bee-atch to customize. Performance of the Magento store on my otherwise very satisfactory server was miserable. Pages took up to 60 seconds to load over the same high-speed line that returned the CC3 sites in 3 seconds.

Uploading the Magento inventory and mapping the images to products was a horror that took three programmers to figure out and about two weeks of pushing them to get it done. For weeks after we still were hunting down incorrectly mapped or incorrect thumbnail to full size instances.

The cure for the latency? Move the Magento store to a special server designed just to run Magento. Even then, it is slower than any CC store of comparable size.

So, although that comment about Magento was well-intentioned, and even somewhat offhand, it produced a Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome nightmare. I would stop doing shopping carts if all I had to work was Magento.

OK, end of rant. Move along, sir. Nothing here to see. Keep moving. Watch out for the broken glass. Move along.

Hi Joe,

In light of your story - when did you installed Magneto? (2yr ago, 6months ago?)

I cannot dispute anything you've said - I did a test install when it first appeared (a few years ago?!) and not looked at it seriously since.

I did hear about serious performance problems, but would hope that this has been sorted. As CubeCart devs learnt, Database queries cost time, and efficient queries with indexing, and caching is really needed.

I'm not looking to defend Magneto, I enjoy working with CubeCart, and think the forums and members are one its greatest assets. From what I've seen, it may be a better choice (or there may be better choices!) for large and busy stores, but only when you pay the $2K+ pa. The cut-down community version really isn't feature rich enough.

Personally, I'd like to see CubeCart move towards stored proceedures/triggers etc on the database. That should help simplify some of the code, with security benefits. mySQL V5 has had these features for about 3 years+

I'm not sure if Magneto has this (some other carts do), this will provide a nice separation of database/php/html, and increase the chance of it working on other database systems.

Web2.0 is ok, if it degrades nicely for non-web2.0 clients (ie GoogleBot!)

I'm currently battling with some Joomla code that uses Javascript+Ajax to present search results... All very slick, but I've got to code a site-map!