Have I installed into correct directory

Pinksquid

Hi There

I have just realised that there are 2 forums, so please forgive me for posting in both because I am very confused :(

Hope I am in the correct place and haven't repeated a question (within this forum) but I am hoping someone can advise please as this is all 'gobbledegook' to me!

Today I have installed and published the Cubecart files.

I followed all the instructions, but I don't know if I read them wrong as far as what directory to install into was concerned, but my first attempt caused a problem.

I created a new folder (shop/store) in my hosts equivalent of the public_html folder and published all the files to that shop/store sub folder?

All seemed ok, and I had no problem logging into the admin and looking around etc. However, if I typed the store url into the browser I just got the plesk control panel page.

My host says I should just have published the files straight into the public folder (or equivalent of) without creating a store/shop directory.

I deleted everything and reinstalled as they instructed and all seems ok.

However, before purchasing my full license key and installing one of Estelles modules, I wonder if anyone can tell me if the directory the files are installed in makes any difference to the functionality or security of the cart - as I don't want to think 'yippee' I did it, only to find further down the line something is wrong.

Does that make sense?

2) Whilst I am here, may I also ask if I should/can protect the admin login page at all? As I haven't now created a sub directory for the files, it wouldn't take a genius to find the admin.php page and try logging in to the admin area.

Any advice on these two issues (plus the confusion over the forums) would be much appreciated please.

Thanks very much in advance.

This forum is really to discuss the core Cubecart software and the other forum is the place to go for modifications, third party skins and so on.

It will not affect functionality or security where you place the files, if the Cubecart store is the main website for the domain its better in the public_html folder as your hosting provider has advised.

As long as you use a strong password and change it frequently the admin page is quiet safe where it is.

This forum is really to discuss the core Cubecart software and the other forum is the place to go for modifications, third party skins and so on.

It will not affect functionality or security where you place the files, if the Cubecart store is the main website for the domain its better in the public_html folder as your hosting provider has advised.

As long as you use a strong password and change it frequently the admin page is quiet safe where it is.

Thanks for your reply Ausy.

I was hoping that was the case but thought I'd better check before going any further.

I was totally confused over having 2 foums, I couldn't understand why the other one didn'y recognise my logging in details - I know now :(

Thanks again.

As Ausy has said, if you use a strong password and change it frequently you should be OK. If you want to make it more difficult for hackers then it is possible to rename the whole admin directory to something obscure. Obviously anyone that knows CubeCart (or even anyone taking an educated guess as almost all packages use "admin" for the admin directory name) will find it easier to find your admin login screen. There is a post in this forum explaining how to do but right at this moment cant find it again !

Thanks for your reply Ausy.

I was hoping that was the case but thought I'd better check before going any further.

I was totally confused over having 2 foums, I couldn't understand why the other one didn'y recognise my logging in details - I know now :(

Thanks again.