Problems with thumbnails

Guest jrod101

Guest jrod101

The problem I'm having is that when I upload pictures via FTP (using filezilla) the thumb nails will not display when I assign them to a product. The full sized image working when I view the the product details. If I upload a picture via the back end (using the "browse" and "upload" feature), the product thumbnail displays correctly. Is there anyway I can use ftp to batch upload the pictures and have the thumbnails work?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
Guest boredwall.eu

I've had an issue with a thumbnail for one particular image not appearing on the home page. I am able to generate thumbnails via admin, however for one particular image there was nothing that I could do to get the thumbnail to generate and display on the homepage. Strange thing is that on the admin page where you can generate the thumbnails - I can see the damn thumbnail - it just won't appear on the home page!

I even went to the thumbs directory in the Uploads directory and downloaded the thumbnail to see if it was corrupt. Nope. It was fine.

One thing that I did notice was that this particular file has a file name with space in it. This was different to all the other file names that had underscores between words. There is a space is between mutton and cuts. thumb_13_mutton cuts_fnl_18x24in.jpg

So I deleted the original file and the thumbnail and uploaded the file again- but made sure the underscore was there instead of a space. And it worked! The thumbnail displays and no issue. I will not use spaces in image file names in future.

Just thought this might help someone - not sure if anyone else has had issues with spaces in file names causing issues with thumbnails not displaying??

• 3 months later...

I've had an issue with a thumbnail for one particular image not appearing on the home page. I am able to generate thumbnails via admin, however for one particular image there was nothing that I could do to get the thumbnail to generate and display on the homepage.

Just thought this might help someone - not sure if anyone else has had issues with spaces in file names causing issues with thumbnails not displaying??

Yes, and I've had an image refuse to rebuild its thumbnail whatever I did. I had to recreate the image (on Paintshop Pro, if that has anything to do with it) and check all the dpi settings, number of colours etc. then reupload it several times until it 'took'.

Very frustrating. I've looked in vain for optimal settings for images and settled on 375x280 pixels, 72dpi, 16m colours, and of course JPG format.

Keith

I've had an issue with a thumbnail for one particular image not appearing on the home page. I am able to generate thumbnails via admin, however for one particular image there was nothing that I could do to get the thumbnail to generate and display on the homepage.

Yes, and I've had an image refuse to rebuild its thumbnail whatever I did. I had to recreate the image (on Paintshop Pro, if that has anything to do with it) and check all the dpi settings, number of colours etc. then reupload it several times until it 'took'.

Very frustrating. I've looked in vain for optimal settings for images and settled on 375x280 pixels, 72dpi, 16m colours, and of course JPG format.

Keith

Thats strange, CubeCart uses the standard GD library (if installed on the server) to run a resample. Uploaded images are stored in a tmp directory, and then resampled and saved in the final directory before repeating the process for the thumbnail.

I would generally upload images at a decent size and quality (so 800x600 or above and 90% compression or more). If you upload massive images (ie full res digital camera shots) then you may need to tweak some settings due to server memory (and form post) limits. For best quality, you really don't want to be re-saving (and re-compressing) JPG images more than you need to (so using a non-lossy format for editing).

I do not recommend spaces in filename (a dash is fine), but I know of some store owners that continue to have spaces and see no problems.

PaintShop Pro should work fine. I've got a very old version here (V5?) and my parter is on X2, no problems with JPG files from either.

I'd expect your problems to be related to cache (local browser or ISP) or possible server memory (although a 375 x 280 image shouldn't need more than ~300K of Ram)

Jason

Guest nerdmom3

The problem I'm having is that when I upload pictures via FTP (using filezilla) the thumb nails will not display when I assign them to a product. The full sized image working when I view the the product details. If I upload a picture via the back end (using the "browse" and "upload" feature), the product thumbnail displays correctly. Is there anyway I can use ftp to batch upload the pictures and have the thumbnails work?

Thanks

I thought I would share the fix for this if anyone running CubeCart 3 should happen upon this post. This issue is totally fixable with version 3, although not as easily as it is done in 4. Here's how.....

Background info:

When you upload an image via CubeCart 3 (CC3) image upload tool, the system automatically creates a thumbnail image for it and displays it.

When you upload an image via FTP to the same image folder that CC3 uses (images/uploads), it will NOT automatically create a thumbnail for it. You have to do it yourself. Here's how...

Procedure:

In your file manager (in Windows), make an identical copy of all graphics you need a thumbnail for and place them in a subdirectory on your hard drive entitled 'thumbs'. Before each filename you need to add the prefix 'thumb_'. For example my file of hat.gif should be changed to thumb_hat.gif. You can download programs that will mass change the file name for you. Just go to a download site and search for 'file name' under utilities. I found an excellent one that did the trick in seconds.

Use your fave graphics program to change at least one dimension of each graphic to 75pixels (keep the coordinates proportional). Be sure to save as you go.

Using your fave FTP program, navigate to the images/uploads folder. You may need to create the thumbs directory on the server (I had to). Once you create the sub-directory, enter it. You should now be inside images/uploads/thumbs/. Upload all of your renamed and re-sized thumbnail graphics into this folder.

The system will automatically recognize that there are now thumbnail graphics in a directory for it to use. If your graphics don't show up, somehow you've messed up one of the steps above (or you forgot to refresh your page).

Side note:

Make sure that in your store settings, the 'thumbnail size' (under GD Settings) is set to at least 75. I had to up mine from 50.

Good Luck!