Tax on USPS

KirkM

My client is using UPS and USPS for shipping. In California, you must charge tax on shipping if it isn't an actual pass-through cost to the customer. In other words, if you add a handling fee, the whole thing is considered a service charge and is taxable. In the UPS module, you have the option to tax the UPS methods using the standard tax from the drop-down menu. In USPS, the handling fee box is there, but not the choice of the tax-ability of that shipping method. So it is not taxing the USPS shipping.

Am I missing something?

• 8 months later...

My client is using UPS and USPS for shipping. In California, you must charge tax on shipping if it isn't an actual pass-through cost to the customer. In other words, if you add a handling fee, the whole thing is considered a service charge and is taxable. In the UPS module, you have the option to tax the UPS methods using the standard tax from the drop-down menu. In USPS, the handling fee box is there, but not the choice of the tax-ability of that shipping method. So it is not taxing the USPS shipping.

Am I missing something?

Anybody? No one has this issue?