Changing Product Subcategory Menus

Guest artXcore

Guest artXcore

My client wants to see a different organizational system for the site menu including a subcategory menu in the left column similar to this one: http://www.dwr.com/category/bath.do

They want the viewer to click the product category at the top, then for that to populate the corresponding subcategory menu on the left side. They feel like having all of the categories and subcategories listed on every page is too "cluttered"

Is there a mod for this? I can't seem to find one anywhere and the only way I can figure to do this is to hard-code it and we'd like to avoid that. It seems that loads of major retail sites do this, so I know I can't be the only one looking for a way to do this?

Here's an example of what they want:

Home | About Us | Furniture | Art | Lighting | Outdoor | Antiques | Contact Us

Sofas

Chairs

Benches

Beds

Dressers

Small Tables

Dining Sets

Thanks for your help!

Go to Add Category in Admin panel, put your category name at the top, then in Category Level where it says Top Level, click the drop-down and select Furniture or whatever.

Lee

ps. Sorry, only looked at the site after writing my post and I don't think that is the answer you are after :homestar:

I would also love this mod. I have about 37 categories and many are subs. I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out for a while now but I'm just not that smart.

Can some of the smart people in the room please take a look at this and see what you think? It will require a new box called "sub categories" or something, I know that much. Then it must only display when a person is looking under that parent category.

Anybody????

Bill

• 3 months later...

I would also love this mod. I have about 37 categories and many are subs. I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out for a while now but I'm just not that smart.

Can some of the smart people in the room please take a look at this and see what you think? It will require a new box called "sub categories" or something, I know that much. Then it must only display when a person is looking under that parent category.

Anybody????

Bill