Dimensions Option in CubeCart 4

Guest Gavin Jones

Guest Gavin Jones

Hi,

I would like to add a dimensions text box to the add products page so that I can detail specific information about the product.

Is this possible?

I tried to add a product option but this just looks like its for numbers rather than text.

Thanks

Gavin

• 2 weeks later...

Guest Gavin Jones

a product option can be text or numbers.....or add it in description....

Hi,

I tried that, I added a product option and selected textbox and clicked add.

When I go to a product I can see the product option where I can select the option but in the text box I get 0.00 which to me says its looking for a number. If I try and add text into that box i get the following My SQL errors:

rror Message:

1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''+')' at line 1

SQL:

INSERT INTO CubeCart_options_bot (`product`,`option_id`,`value_id`,`option_price`,`option_symbol`) VALUES (63,4,0,,'+');

I think this is more for adding different items to a product as I just entered some numbers and can now see it in the product.

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

It takes me a short while to get into the Options. CC4 is better than CC3 as you can assign them from the product editor (as I found out the other week...)

Ok - I'll run through a quick tutorial (I'll assume you don't have an existing option called "size" - you can call it something else if you do, whilst you get used to the system);

Admin->Product Options->"Create an option"

1. Type "Size" for the Option Name, leave the Type as "Default" (this will provide a drop-down box)

Click "Add Option"

2. Create an option value

On the Option Name (use the Drop-Down box), select your new "Size" Option.

Type "Small" on the Option Atttribute

Click "Add Attribute"

repeat #2 for a few sizes - these can be "Large", or "44.23mm", or anything.

3. Assign option & value to product

Select a product on the drop-down

Select the option ("Size")

Select the attribute ("Small"/"Large" etc)

If the Size DOES NOT effect the price, select "N/A" for the Add/Subtract drop-down.

If the Size DOES effect the price (ie more $$ for "large"), then select "Add" and enter the additional charge (use subtract for a discount for small items)

Click "Add Product Option"

Repeat #3 for all sizes for this product.

Now... once you have the attributes you need (small/med/large etc), you can assign these within the product editor - so effectively doing step #3 in the product editor and not on the options page.

This may be quicker - and is probably less confusing.

I hope this helps,

Jason

Guest Gavin Jones

Hi Gavin,

It takes me a short while to get into the Options. CC4 is better than CC3 as you can assign them from the product editor (as I found out the other week...)

Ok - I'll run through a quick tutorial (I'll assume you don't have an existing option called "size" - you can call it something else if you do, whilst you get used to the system);

Admin->Product Options->"Create an option"

1. Type "Size" for the Option Name, leave the Type as "Default" (this will provide a drop-down box)

Click "Add Option"

2. Create an option value

On the Option Name (use the Drop-Down box), select your new "Size" Option.

Type "Small" on the Option Atttribute

Click "Add Attribute"

repeat #2 for a few sizes - these can be "Large", or "44.23mm", or anything.

3. Assign option & value to product

Select a product on the drop-down

Select the option ("Size")

Select the attribute ("Small"/"Large" etc)

If the Size DOES NOT effect the price, select "N/A" for the Add/Subtract drop-down.

If the Size DOES effect the price (ie more $$ for "large"), then select "Add" and enter the additional charge (use subtract for a discount for small items)

Click "Add Product Option"

Repeat #3 for all sizes for this product.

Now... once you have the attributes you need (small/med/large etc), you can assign these within the product editor - so effectively doing step #3 in the product editor and not on the options page.

This may be quicker - and is probably less confusing.

I hope this helps,

Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the comprehensive response.

What I would like is rather than a dropdown box is just a simple text box where I would enter something like 24cm x 33cm.

I know I can add it into the description text box but I would like a specific area to add the text in.

Thanks

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Ok - I understand.

Admin->Options

1. Create an option

Name="Size"

Type="TextBox"

Admin->View Products

Locate your product, then Edit

Scroll to bottom of edit page, to see Product Options

Select drop-down to show your "Size" option

Click Update

This will give you a simple text box for the product.

As this is "free text entry", customers can enter anything - and the store will simply pass this onto you (so no calculations for Price)

Hopefully this is what you need?

Cheers,

Jason

Guest Gavin Jones

Hi Gavin,

Ok - I understand.

Admin->Options

1. Create an option

Name="Size"

Type="TextBox"

Admin->View Products

Locate your product, then Edit

Scroll to bottom of edit page, to see Product Options

Select drop-down to show your "Size" option

Click Update

This will give you a simple text box for the product.

As this is "free text entry", customers can enter anything - and the store will simply pass this onto you (so no calculations for Price)

Hopefully this is what you need?

Cheers,

Jason

Hi Jason,

This is exactly what I have done before, see attached screen captures. But when I add the text in the product text box and click edit product to save my changes I get the following SQL error:

MySQL Error Occurred

Error Message:

1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''+')' at line 1

SQL:

INSERT INTO CubeCart_options_bot (`product`,`option_id`,`value_id`,`option_price`,`option_symbol`) VALUES (63,4,0,,'+');

Thanks

Gavin

Guest Gavin Jones

Hi Gavin,

Visit my CC4 trial and enter some text;

http://race-alternative.precious-group.co....at&catId=16

I've just checked, and its ok here - but it sounds like a bug in your admin area?

This is CC 4.4.1 - a clean install a few weeks ago.

What version are you using?

I think we'll get this fixed soonish...

Hi Jason,

Thanks for all your help on this.

I can see what you have done but I would like to add text to the product when it is being entered into the cart, again I know I can add it to the description but I would like a uniform look to all products.

Sorry fro being a pain.

Gavin

Sorry Gavin,

I've just re-re-re-read your original post.

You can create a dimension option, and instead of the "small/med/large" etc examples I gave, provide specific sizes;

24cm x 33cm

22cm x 31cm

15cm x 19cm

(etc)

You can then assign these to a product, and vary the price (if required) This will work in unmodified CubeCart.

Now... if you have lots of different sizes, this will become difficult as you'll see a long list of sizes... and you may need some custom coding.

It would be helpful to know what you are selling? If its a product that will be made/cut to customers required size then any coding would be easier.

If there are only a few allowable sizes per product (but these vary from product to product - ie Windows/Doors) then this could be tricky.

So - would I be right in suggesting that you want;

Width: [24]cm Height[33]cm (values in square brackets in dropdown or other)

If you have a URL, please post (or PM).

Cheers,

Jason

Guest Gavin Jones

Sorry Gavin,

I've just re-re-re-read your original post.

You can create a dimension option, and instead of the "small/med/large" etc examples I gave, provide specific sizes;

24cm x 33cm

22cm x 31cm

15cm x 19cm

(etc)

You can then assign these to a product, and vary the price (if required) This will work in unmodified CubeCart.

Now... if you have lots of different sizes, this will become difficult as you'll see a long list of sizes... and you may need some custom coding.

It would be helpful to know what you are selling? If its a product that will be made/cut to customers required size then any coding would be easier.

If there are only a few allowable sizes per product (but these vary from product to product - ie Windows/Doors) then this could be tricky.

So - would I be right in suggesting that you want;

Width: [24]cm Height[33]cm (values in square brackets in dropdown or other)

If you have a URL, please post (or PM).

Cheers,

Jason

The cart is selling sculptures and frames etc and unfortunately each product (apart from the frames) could have a different size. The reason why I was trying to use the product option was because of workflow, it was easy to work from top to bottom and add each product detail in knowing that each one was complete.

You are right that having a long list will be unworkable so will probably just have to stick with the dimensions going in the description box.

I really appreciate all your help

Thanks

Gav