Changing product names and SEO

Chargin

What happens when I decide to change a product name?

Do I need to do a 301 redirect in the htaccess file to show the new URL to all the bots etc?

I noticed the old url still works, no matter what I put for the old URL it works because it seems to be tied to the /prod_2.tml bit at the end.

So whats the final word, can I change product names willy nilly with no ill effect or should I follow a strict 301 update with every change?

you can change the names as many times as you want, as long as the product ID remains the same the product will always be found. However, changing it a lot will not help your search engine listings as they will find it as duplicate products.

I guess my question was more about how google will react if i change a products name. Will the old URL they were indexing still work fine? It seems to still work when I change a name, I dont get a 404 when I update a name.

Hmm duplicates? are you saying there will be 2 urls that a product will exist on if I change the product name once?